Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Sw motech street rack & Adv spec SIDE LUGGAGE RACKS

zarkos

Hello ,

I tried to search the info , but didn't find it , so sorry if it is already discussed somewhere 😕 .
I would like to mount  the sw motech street rack (because I already have the sw motech top case) and the adventure spec side luggage rack. But I can't find if it is compatible or not .
Does anyone already mount this setup ?

• 1 month later...

Hello ,
After I received my adventure spec side rack , I can tell that it does not fit with the swmotech rear rack .
I will have to cut the spacer a bit to fit with it . (I will put the update here just for the record )

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is your rear rack the Adventure Rack?  I hadn't heard of a street rack for the T7.  

I have the SW-Motech Adventure Rack and was looking at possibly fitting the Adventure Spec side racks too.  Is it just a matter of trimming down the spacers, or is there more involved?

Edited by SociallyStunted

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @SociallyStunted ,
Yes sorry I took the wrong name . It is indeed the adventure Rack from sw motech .
And that is correct , as the spacer and rack from SW Motech measure 2cm in total you will need to cut the long ones from 60mm to 40mm and use the 20mm piece that left . 
The spacer from adventure spec are 40mm and 60mm . So as I needed to cut 20mm on all of them(60 mm becom 40 mm and 40 mm become 20mm) , I simply reused the previous 40 for the new 60 (-20mm) and cut the 60mm into 40 mm to get 20mm piece for the new 40 mm (-20 mm). 
Don't  know if it is really clear , but it works 🙂 .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zarkos said:

Hi @SociallyStunted ,
Yes sorry I took the wrong name . It is indeed the adventure Rack from sw motech .
And that is correct , as the spacer and rack from SW Motech measure 2cm in total you will need to cut the long ones from 60mm to 40mm and use the 20mm piece that left . 
The spacer from adventure spec are 40mm and 60mm . So as I needed to cut 20mm on all of them(60 mm becom 40 mm and 40 mm become 20mm) , I simply reused the previous 40 for the new 60 (-20mm) and cut the 60mm into 40 mm to get 20mm piece for the new 40 mm (-20 mm). 
Don't  know if it is really clear , but it works 🙂 .

Yes that was clear enough.  Thank you.

I decided to go with the Rally Raid side racks that they came out with yesterday.  I will have to do the same as you most likely, cutting down the spacers from their racks to fit my SW-Motech Adventure Rack.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 8:31 AM, SociallyStunted said:

Yes that was clear enough.  Thank you.

I decided to go with the Rally Raid side racks that they came out with yesterday.  I will have to do the same as you most likely, cutting down the spacers from their racks to fit my SW-Motech Adventure Rack.

Thanks

Would love to know your thoughts on the Rally Raid soft luggage racks once you've got them.  I'm considering running said side racks along with a B&B Off-Road compact tail rack - it appears they'd be a good match aside from maybe needing to cut the spacers (same as you with the SW Motech rear rack).

Also - did you buy direct from Rally Raid, or did you find them somewhere in the US?

14 minutes ago, GreatDistances said:

Would love to know your thoughts on the Rally Raid soft luggage racks once you've got them.  I'm considering running said side racks along with a B&B Off-Road compact tail rack - it appears they'd be a good match aside from maybe needing to cut the spacers (same as you with the SW Motech rear rack).

Also - did you buy direct from Rally Raid, or did you find them somewhere in the US?

I purchased directly from Rally Raid, came out to $321.78 US.  I ordered just a couple hours after they announced that they had the first 20 available for purchase this last Tuesday.  I'm not sure anyone else would have them yet based on that.  I find Rally Raid ships pretty quickly from the UK.  The expedited shipping option was just a few dollars more than standard.  I contacted them and found the long spacers they are using to attach to the T7 are 50 mm long.  That helped me to figure out what length spacers I would need to attach them over my SW-Motech rear rack mountings.  I just subtracted the SW spacer and mounting tab thickness from 50 mm.  I've gotten lots of aluminum spacers from McMaster Carr online, if that helps you come up with a way of adapting them to your B&B rack.  I'll let you know how it goes.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SociallyStunted said:

I purchased directly from Rally Raid, came out to $321.78 US.  I ordered just a couple hours after they announced that they had the first 20 available for purchase this last Tuesday.  I'm not sure anyone else would have them yet based on that.  I find Rally Raid ships pretty quickly from the UK.  The expedited shipping option was just a few dollars more than standard.  I contacted them and found the long spacers they are using to attach to the T7 are 50 mm long.  That helped me to figure out what length spacers I would need to attach them over my SW-Motech rear rack mountings.  I just subtracted the SW spacer and mounting tab thickness from 50 mm.  I've gotten lots of aluminum spacers from McMaster Carr online, if that helps you come up with a way of adapting them to your B&B rack.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Awesome, thanks for insight and reference on spacers too.

These particular racks look like they may solve a lot of problems for me (keeping width of bike manageable, ability to mount rotopax + tool tube, reasonable weight, great mounting points, etc).  I'm very tempted to just pull the trigger on the purchase tonight, but I'll play it smart and sleep on it before I completely zero my bank account out on aftermarket parts!

@GreatDistances I posted in the other thread.  I used 28.5 mm aluminum spacers in place of the RR provided spacers.  Perfect fit.

Edited by SociallyStunted
  • Like 1

Thanks for the update, they look great.  I'll place an order this week!

• Like 1