Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Seized bar end weights!

Hammerhead

Question

Anyone else encountering the factory locktite from hell keeping the stock end weights near seized in place? 

For a minute there I didn't think this was going to come off. Somebody in Japan sure didn't want it to. 

1 of 2 removed. Fingers crossed. 

12mm Allen  head & all the torque I could muster. Air impact wouldn't even get it! 

Trying to fit the new barkbusters 

20200708_182616.jpg

• Premium Member

I had to take the end screws out to get a set of canyon dancers on the bars for the original trailer ride home (getting my T7 home from the dealer)  the hand guards were preventing anything to go over the handle-bars, so they had to temporarily come off. 

Those bar-end screws were not hard to remove at all....  got them off with just an allen key. 
Are the bar-end weights also screwed in?  seperately from the bar-end screws? 

Tazmool

Wow, had no problem removing mine to put on SW_MOTECH Kobra handguards on as a matter of fact I did not have the size allen required so wrapped a rubber glove around the weight and removed it with a pair of channel-locks came of so easy didn't even mar the weight.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

I had to take the end screws out to get a set of canyon dancers on the bars for the original trailer ride home (getting my T7 home from the dealer)  the hand guards were preventing anything to go over the handle-bars, so they had to temporarily come off. 

Those bar-end screws were not hard to remove at all....  got them off with just an allen key. 
Are the bar-end weights also screwed in?  seperately from the bar-end screws? 

Tazmool

Yes the end weights are screwed in separately.  12mm hex key & some serious torque. (Atleast in my case)  both those & the end screws were loaded with loctite 

18 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

Wow, had no problem removing mine to put on SW_MOTECH Kobra handguards on as a matter of fact I did not have the size allen required so wrapped a rubber glove around the weight and removed it with a pair of channel-locks came of so easy didn't even mar the weight.

Lucky you ! Check the threads in that pic. Completely loaded with loctite. Could not believe how tough they were to crack

@Hammerhead

I agree that was nasty. Interesting that you are in Vancouver and I believe all the North American bike are made in Japan.

To bad they only put month and year on the manufacturing date.

Growing up my Dad told me to check the manufacturing date on cars and get one made on a Wednesday, Mondays the worker were hungover and Friday they were in a hurry to start the weekend.

• Haha 1

Mine were easy to remove as well and all the bolts have a bronze grease on the threads... 👍 

Aleks 

• Like 1

Mine were tight but there was hardly any visible threadlocker whereas yours is covered in it. I was doing same task as you and came across a problem where the hand grip glue (if they've used too much) reacts badly with and eats away at switch gear plastic casing. I've put a warranty claim in.

I mention this second issue because the common thing here is inconsistency at the factory.   

• Like 2

• Moderators

Mine were tight as hell, I used the 12mm allen socket and a 2 foot breaker bar.

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Inconsistancies alright! interesting.

Seems they didn't want us Canucks having an easy go of it. I was torquing so hard the bar risers were cranking over in their rubber mounts. Thankfully they both eventually relented to my determination. Barkbusters mounted!

The end  weights  come in a  box  and are installed by the setup person, not the factory.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2020 at 1:44 PM, UtahJack said:

@Hammerhead

I agree that was nasty. Interesting that you are in Vancouver and I believe all the North American bike are made in Japan.

To bad they only put month and year on the manufacturing date.

Growing up my Dad told me to check the manufacturing date on cars and get one made on a Wednesday, Mondays the worker were hungover and Friday they were in a hurry to start the weekend.

@Hammerhead

The link attached will indicate by your Vehicle Identification Number where your bike was manufactured.  It may be of interest.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/quickly-use-vins-to-determine-model-year-and-country-of-1480596214

• Like 1

I’ve literally just removed both of my bar weights and fitted my Barkbuster hand guards in 10 minutes, no signs of any loctite or grip glue on anything, in fact after reading this post previously and only received my bike here in Thailand 🇹🇭 today I was expecting a struggle! but none of it simple and straight forward removal and fit.

Must say the Barkbusters were a very easy fit and seem incredibly strong, very happy with the whole process 

Edited by Gazk7
  • Like 3

On 7/28/2020 at 3:37 AM, wilky11111 said:

@Hammerhead

The link attached will indicate by your Vehicle Identification Number where your bike was manufactured.  It may be of interest.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/quickly-use-vins-to-determine-model-year-and-country-of-1480596214

Well that's interesting,  but i just looked at this frame sticker

20200802_141624.jpg

• Like 1

I have Cycra Pro Bend handguards on one of my other bikes and wanted to see if they would fit on my T7.

I only removed one of the T7's bar ends and, man, that thing was hella tight.  I had the 12mm allen socket on a 1/2 inch ratchet and I was practically hanging my body weight off that thing trying to break it loose.  It finally did violently crack loose.  I don't recall seeing the amount of loctite as Hammerhead had on his threads.  But, my bike build date is also 4/20.

• Haha 1

Timely thread. Broke one of my torque wrenches last night trying to get them removed. Waiting for an impact driver to arrive today, hopefully that solves it. 

• Premium Member

I was thinking that if the bar end weights are on so darn tight, a good impact gun may be the way to remove them with out damaging anything (but only to remove, never put them on with an impact gun 😉 )   
The short/sharp impact (axial purcussion) may be just what the thing needs to come off. 

An impact driver should do it too, but that will put on a lot of laterall force on the bars, could be not so great for the aluminium components holding the bars on. 

Tazmool

For those that have experienced the bar end weights being extremely tight, some feedback to your dealer would be in order. As one who has set up hundreds of Yamaha and Honda  bikes, including my own  T7, I can tell you that the bar end weights on  the T7 are installed by the dealer's setup person(s).  Those manufacturers supply setup instructions for the final assembly and checkout of their bikes. The spec on the bar end weights tightening call for only 19 ft/lb. If yours were overtightened to the extent that it sounds  like several here have experienced, the dealer should inform their setup person(s) of this so that they are aware of that in the future.

• Like 2

As Fedz43 stated...

I don't think it was the Factory who put the Loctite on the bolt.

I think it was the Dealer whom assembled the bike from the crate.

366658DD-A71B-441F-8B5B-4E71B20039B6_1_1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REDHORSECA said:

It is a fact that the factory does  not install the bar end weights or the handguards, windscreen, front fender, front wheel, battery, fork guards. Here is mine in  the crate. 

20200619_142826.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Seventh Son said:

I have Cycra Pro Bend handguards on one of my other bikes and wanted to see if they would fit on my T7.

I only removed one of the T7's bar ends and, man, that thing was hella tight.  I had the 12mm allen socket on a 1/2 inch ratchet and I was practically hanging my body weight off that thing trying to break it loose.  It finally did violently crack loose.  I don't recall seeing the amount of loctite as Hammerhead had on his threads.  But, my bike build date is also 4/20.

The 4/20 crew was blasted & playing practical jokes with the loctite! It's creepy having to crank on things that hard till they violently crack loose.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fredz43 said:

It is a fact that the factory does  not install the bar end weights or the handguards, windscreen, front fender, front wheel, battery, fork guards. Here is mine in  the crate. 

20200619_142826.jpg

Well there ya go, local shops are the likely culprits. Bet the factory advises them to use the liquid sieze & some guys just skip it & others overdo it. 

6 hours ago, Fredz43 said:

For those that have experienced the bar end weights being extremely tight, some feedback to your dealer would be in order. As one who has set up hundreds of Yamaha and Honda  bikes, including my own  T7, I can tell you that the bar end weights on  the T7 are installed by the dealer's setup person(s).  Those manufacturers supply setup instructions for the final assembly and checkout of their bikes. The spec on the bar end weights tightening call for only 19 ft/lb. If yours were overtightened to the extent that it sounds  like several here have experienced, the dealer should inform their setup person(s) of this so that they are aware of that in the future.

This will be happening 

I was able to take mine off without using a wrench. I bought a 12mm allen and didn't use it.

Update: tried a breaker bar, impact gun, pb blaster, vice grips- no luck. 

But. 

I would not let a piece of metal best me. Off with their heads! 

AD7F4467-AF08-4330-966F-4BF89705C835.jpeg

44B9E58B-535A-45C0-8238-63201A3C8094.jpeg

Edited by rattler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4