Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Seized bar end weights!

Hammerhead

Question

Anyone else encountering the factory locktite from hell keeping the stock end weights near seized in place? 

For a minute there I didn't think this was going to come off. Somebody in Japan sure didn't want it to. 

1 of 2 removed. Fingers crossed. 

12mm Allen  head & all the torque I could muster. Air impact wouldn't even get it! 

Trying to fit the new barkbusters 

20200708_182616.jpg

My bar end weights came off by hand, no tools required at all.  This was in the process of installing Pyramid Plastics handguard extenders for cold weather riding.

I also noticed that the black flat washers that go between the stock handguards and bar end weight were missing on both sides.  Oddly, I found one of them under one of the two screws that mount the inside of the left handguard to the bracket on the handlebars.  

I also noticed that the two bolts that mount the driver's seat were mismatched ... apparently only one was the stock bolt.  

This lack of attention to detail has left me with no confidence in the dealer setup.  Good thing I didn't pay an add-on fee for it.

I got the LHS weight off no troubles but I noticed that the bracket that holds the inboard end of the factory hand-guards acts as a 3mm spacer under the mirror arm.  What's the accepted procedure here?  I was just going to add 3mm worth of SS washers, or brass washers perhaps.  Without them, or without leaving the redundant bracket in place, the mirror arm is wayyyy out of alignment.

1 hour ago, winddown said:

I got the LHS weight off no troubles but I noticed that the bracket that holds the inboard end of the factory hand-guards acts as a 3mm spacer under the mirror arm.  What's the accepted procedure here?  I was just going to add 3mm worth of SS washers, or brass washers perhaps.  Without them, or without leaving the redundant bracket in place, the mirror arm is wayyyy out of alignment.

The threaded shaft and the black nut (this is a lock nut or Jam nut) on the mirror are separate items.  Hold the mirror in your hand and put a wrench on the black nut and turn it.  You will then understand it better.

When installing the mirror thread it in and set it where you want it.  You then tighten the black nut to lock it in place.  

There is no need for added washers.

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, williestreet said:

When installing the mirror thread it in and set it where you want it.  You then tighten the black nut to lock it in place.  

There is no need for added washers.

Ahhh, I see...  Well you know what that implies then don't you.  That I'm a bloody idiot for not noticing such a simple principle.  I'll be back in an hour after I have cross-threaded the bolt to inquire how you fit Helical Inserts 🤪

But one other question, I got no paperwork with the plastic guards, what are the little white pieces that screw in behind the main guard for?  I must admit they look quite cool poking up above the red VPS

406-s.jpg.4f715547b94fffd14902159fa5627fa8.jpg

Wind Spoilers.  They can be added to give a bit more wind protection or left off.  Your choice.

• Like 1

Well I decided to put the white bitz on Willie, but first, for the benefit of anyone doing this mod, My Saga with the bar ends:

The LH end came off with the breaker bar and hex bit, no worries, then on the RHS I discovered the mirror has a reverse thread?  If I was going to put a reverse thread I would have done it on the other side, so the wind pressure would tighten it, not loosen it.  Anyway I went to the bar end and the thing was stuck fast.

On to the rattle gun, this thing gets off the hardest wheel nuts btw.  No joy

1730791005_BAREND-02.jpg.7a3f6638d1b982dc824a1c435ead4dab.jpg

I was about to grab a 1.2m stillson  wrench when I decided to visit the neighbor, he's got more experience on these matters.

He suggested the following configuration and worked the rattle gun while I applied a heap of pressure with the big shifter on the hex bit.  This finally worked, Phewwww. 

1658433154_BAREND-03.jpg.86a9cc4f78c75952595f11128559b505.jpg

There was no goop on the threads, though they were painted and the stuck one still had all its paint on, ol mate suggested this is what made it stick.  Stuck one on the right of picture

1469227298_BAREND-04.jpg.7aae0ad27c28a5a0524ca1aa408fa238.jpg

No more dramas after that

BUSTERS-l.thumb.jpg.208744ecae24e585812c988e1a3194dc.jpg

• Like 2

Mine were InSanely tight. Had to use a 2’ breaker bar and it flexed like crazy before popping them free. Annoying. Lots of bolts like this on my bike. Dry and extremely stuck.