Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Crash Bars and mounting points - The technical side of things

pgeldz

4 hours ago, kainic said:

I don't have a bike yet so I am just looking for now and SW Motec are bars that I am keeping an eye on along with the Puig set.  It looks like Puig bars also attach similar as SW Motoc?

Similar but the Puigs have one less mounting point on the engine per side than the SW Motechs do.  They seem to be lighter weight also (thinner wall?).  

Edited by advrallymoto

On 6/21/2021 at 1:41 AM, advrallymoto said:

Your knees hit?  I'm 192cm and I don't have that problem.  Are you sitting very far forward on the seat?  

Hey mister, 

For me it is quite normal to be able to move around my seat and loading the front end under bracking( balls against the tank) is a part of the game!

On 6/21/2021 at 1:41 AM, advrallymoto said:

I'll give my input on the SW Motech bars:

-Yes, they're heavy.  I haven't mounted any others, so I can't compare in that regard. But they are hefty.  I think that may be a good thing considering I've seen others bending and causing further problems.

-I had SWMotech bars on my KLR as well and I liked the quality.

-I appreciate the way they take aesthetics into consideration as well as protection.  

-They seem to be protecting the important bits (radiator, plastics, engine).

-Installation was fairly smooth.

As far as the critique of the SW Motech mounting points above :

It doesn't just have one mounting point to the head, it has two.  The upper front mounting point goes through the frame and into the motor.  The upper rear mounting point goes into the motor.  The lower point mounts to the bar that is tied into the lower frame rails.  With the connection between the two, they seem VERY sturdy.  I would venture to guess they are some of the most sturdy crash bars, with the price you pay being weight.  I rode before and after and haven't noticed a great difference.  Though weight is one of my main concerns....so if I find that these are very overkill and I find a better design, I will trade them out.  

16 minutes ago, freeride said:

Hey mister, 

For me it is quite normal to be able to move around my seat and loading the front end under bracking( balls against the tank) is a part of the game!

I didn't mean anything negative by it.  I just haven't noticed it is all.

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 11:41 AM, Adrenolin said:

This pic shows the OB CB Mount points and the order in which I installed which differs from their video instructions. I’ll admit I was a bit peeved during the install but knowing to just leave those 2 rear bolts out until the end makes it very simple. I’d put these up against any of the others for durability. I’ll be adding a couple of the aftermarket clamp on sliders as well which stick out a bit more and take the damage before the bars. Hopefully they keep the bars in decent shape and are cheaply replaceable. 

8FCEE0B3-3BDF-485B-A140-48EC87A4F493.thumb.jpeg.95cc82dd8e9bf9adb42ba549ac753914.jpeg

It looks like the OM might be the best crashbar, as far as offering protection and good mounting points.

I have heard several sources of complaints about they have fitment issues. Their install vid says they are now  selling an updated version, so maybe they have fixed that problem.

I had a couple days with a bike that has them on and I thought they seem stout enough . . . but I didn't give them the drop test.

What I didn't like much was, the weldments are barely tacked on. 

IMG_3818.thumb.JPG.b0d6f67b2524a308949ebd3ebec87d4e.JPG

And where tube is welded to connectors, they're doing a sloppy job with a pinch-and-weld joint. Maybe its strong enough, but it doesn't look impressive.

IMG_3817.thumb.JPG.590fdc8f3c9ea171aa02e599d5a0d369.JPG

I thought OM had the best bars made, for the AT.  This one looks like they rushed the production.  If I bought a set, I'd want to go around it and re-weld every one of the welds. Then repaint. That's a lot of work on a piece that costs $465.00.

While I'm ragging on OM. This bike has an OM bash plate. Looks stout enough, I guess. But underneath at the back, it has zero protection for the suspension linkage. Worse, it has a bend that sticks down. So if you are hopping a log or bumping down a rock ledge, instead of sliding over, you are gonna get hung up on that bent down bit.  Not gonna get one of those.

IMG_3824.thumb.JPG.22daeb2a1f83194fd357175b59da09eb.JPG

:

In revisiting this, I am liking the OM bars more and more.  I like how it's kind of like a complete cage without having that wrap around look - most likely because the front plat is flat, and the sides of the upper crash bars aren't as tall as the panel.

The look has grown on me quite a bit, and in revising the mounting points, I do like it quite a lot.  Just need to see fi I'll have trouble fitting with Arrow headers, specifically, the cross brace that goes toward the bottom of the radiator...

• 6 months later...
On 6/20/2021 at 4:41 PM, advrallymoto said:

Your knees hit?  I'm 192cm and I don't have that problem.  Are you sitting very far forward on the seat?  

I'll give my input on the SW Motech bars:

-Yes, they're heavy.  I haven't mounted any others, so I can't compare in that regard. But they are hefty.  I think that may be a good thing considering I've seen others bending and causing further problems.

-I had SWMotech bars on my KLR as well and I liked the quality.

-I appreciate the way they take aesthetics into consideration as well as protection.  

-They seem to be protecting the important bits (radiator, plastics, engine).

-Installation was fairly smooth.

As far as the critique of the SW Motech mounting points above :

It doesn't just have one mounting point to the head, it has two.  The upper front mounting point goes through the frame and into the motor.  The upper rear mounting point goes into the motor.  The lower point mounts to the bar that is tied into the lower frame rails.  With the connection between the two, they seem VERY sturdy.  I would venture to guess they are some of the most sturdy crash bars, with the price you pay being weight.  I rode before and after and haven't noticed a great difference.  Though weight is one of my main concerns....so if I find that these are very overkill and I find a better design, I will trade them out.  

Can you share with me the torque specs for the sw Motech crash bars please? Also did you finish the right side before doing the left as the instructions say or did you keep everything loose?

thanks. 

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

Can you share with me the torque specs for the sw Motech crash bars please? Also did you finish the right side before doing the left as the instructions say or did you keep everything loose?

thanks. 

I actually just sold the bike and dont have the tq specs handy.  If I remember correctly I did the right side first, but I did leave everything loose.  Just remember to use the proper length fastener on the proper side.  The spacers are side specific also.

On 6/20/2021 at 12:37 PM, freeride said:

Hello,

I have mounted sw motech crash bars on my bike 

Problems:

1)  the cross bars ( connection between left and right size ) does not fit with the aftermarket dominator header. i had to ask a metal worker to make a custom one to fit.

2) once mounted, I realized that those bars are fully on the way of my knees: bad news! I am 1m89cm and I have to seat back on my saddle to seat comfortable: that does not work for me!

So you have the engine bolts torque specs for the sw Motech crash bars install? I can’t find them. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

short arm problems... : r/funny

• Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~