Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

fuelling the last liter

sebti

Question

Hi all,

Did you see that it's really long ( boring ! ) to fuel the last liter in the fuel tank?

a few years ago, on the firsts r1200gs, some guys made a hole in the entry of the fuel tank ( 3 or 4 mm), to let the air going out and fueling easily. That is on the joined photo.

Does someone nows if we could the same on the T7 ?

178934873_yeLBv-M.jpg

Edited by sebti
  • Like 1

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

20 answers to this question

There are no issues with filling the fuel tank on the T7.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Adventure6965 said:

There are no issues with filling the fuel tank on the T7.

If you fill up to the top of the neck, a moment later it will drop down out of sight. You can do this dozens of times.

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

there is always a solution... 😛

we just have to find it !

10 minutes ago, Limey said:

I took a punch on my Super TĂ©nĂ©rĂ© and I’ll do the same with the T7.

Sorry, what is?

1 hour ago, Limey said:

Took a center punch to the inside of the tank.

So you used this to spread the hole? 

I punched it out to about 3/8”. Holds another 2L.  
just don’t be dumb!

• Like 6

On 7/15/2020 at 5:46 PM, Bucket Boy said:

just don’t be dumb!

It fits another 2 litres?  wow, thanks for the info!

On 7/17/2020 at 5:07 PM, Colddog said:

It fits another 2 litres?  wow, thanks for the info!

On 7/16/2020 at 12:46 AM, Bucket Boy said:

just don’t be dumb!

Can you post a picture please... Aleks 

On 7/25/2020 at 2:18 AM, Aleksandar13 said:

Can you post a picture please... Aleks 

513D5BE4-7A9C-4CD7-B45F-1702793F5876.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/16/2020 at 1:46 AM, Bucket Boy said:

just don’t be dumb!

So you punched out without removing tank from the bike?  where do you think all the rubbish you did when cutting the metal have gone... bad idea if you’re not planning to change quickly your pump fuel filter. Or in the worst case you can even damage the pump itself...

1 hour ago, Reeko81 said:

So you punched out without removing tank from the bike?  where do you think all the rubbish you did when cutting the metal have gone... bad idea if you’re not planning to change quickly your pump fuel filter. Or in the worst case you can even damage the pump itself...

If you use a centre punch to make the hole, there shouldn’t be any debris in the tank, to block the filter or fuel pump. It should make the hole, without anything falling/breaking off. 👍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FredBasset said:

If you use a centre punch to make the hole, there shouldn’t be any debris in the tank, to block the filter or fuel pump. It should make the hole, without anything falling/breaking off. 👍

Not my business... I prefer clean job. It would be better a clean drill with the tank removed from

the bike 

I also poked a few holes in mine, just don't hit the breather hole! Make fueling up  to the top much faster! 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 12:40 AM, sebti said:

Hi all,

Did you see that it's really long ( boring ! ) to fuel the last liter in the fuel tank?

a few years ago, on the firsts r1200gs, some guys made a hole in the entry of the fuel tank ( 3 or 4 mm), to let the air going out and fueling easily. That is on the joined photo.

Does someone nows if we could the same on the T7 ?

178934873_yeLBv-M.jpg

Just found this thread. ON my Yamaha Venture I punched a few holes in the filler neck and got an extra 4/10th gallon. I know exactly how much more because I filled it up and then  moved to the side of the gas station parking lot and punched 4 holes and went back to the same pump and put more in. I will do the same on my T7- and of course pray it doesn't blow up. - I used an awl because it knocks through on the first hit.

• Like 2

Is the metal in that area really so thin that you can just punch through with an awl?  And maybe use a center punch to make sure the tip doesn't skip sideways?

That first pic looks like someone actually used a drill bit.  Which I'm guess can be a dangerous proposition if you theoretically drop some hot shavings?

19 minutes ago, Endopotential said:

Is the metal in that area really so thin that you can just punch through with an awl?  And maybe use a center punch to make sure the tip doesn't skip sideways?

That first pic looks like someone actually used a drill bit.  Which I'm guess can be a dangerous proposition if you theoretically drop some hot shavings?

Yes it is that  thin. Easy enough to widen the existing pin hole to the side of the “breather”. There won’t be any shavings or debris. 

IMG_7031.jpeg