Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tail Tidy - What features would you like to see?

BellissiMoto

• Supporting Vendor

Due to my personal race team relationships with certain companies,  I sometimes have the ability to work with them in creating new products.

One of these companies makes Tail Tidys (fender eliminators for those in my neck of the woods) 🙂

I was in contact with them yesterday, and I have input on their future offering for the Tenere 700.

What features would you like to see in your ideal Tail Tidy?

Here's what I came up with:

- Retain grab handles

- No cutting of factory plastics required

- Matte Black

- Ability to use either factory indicators (tucked in a little more), OR aftermarket style indicators

- Enclosed wiring so it's away from the elements for off road use

- Finished appearance underneath

- Competitive cost

Those are just my personal wants...I'd love to hear yours so I can pass this feedback to them and hopefully get the Tail Tidy of our dreams 🙂

- Paul

• Like 4

• Moderators

I am hoping for something simple and as small as possible like this DRC Edge 2.

drc.jpg.d1c6cda90d8e63b313b75c7261712f45.jpg

In this instance the rear brake light board is modified to include a white light LED at the bottom of the braking lights, and the lens is clear at the bottom to allow the light to illuminate your licence plate. There shouldn't be any reason to have a dedicated light for this, it just extends the kit downwards more than it needs to. This also allows for integrated turn signals in the brake light, which I mean if you are eliminating the fender - go all the way.

board.thumb.jpg.2823f8df996b8296720eeac68c108374.jpg

These are two separate products that can be combined, and in fact a board like this with a replacement lens should fit any fender eliminator.

• Like 2

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

A beer tap would be freaking awesome. 

Joking aside, a bottle opener would be useful after a long ride.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mpb1 said:

Joking aside, a bottle opener would be useful after a long ride.

Use your foot pegs, rookie. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

Here is a list:

#1 Vibration resistance, from what Camel ADV said, vibration was killing all his light duty designs.

#2 Tough design, goes along with vibration resistance, dont need this thing snapping off on the first tip-over.  It will help if the signals and plate are out of the way too.

#3 Multiple turn signal heights, one for stock exhaust location, second for high-exit exhaust location  (seems most tail-tidys have an interference problem with the turn signals and high-exit exhausts)

#4 Sealed/protected underside of tail tidy where the cables connect to the lights (similar to the oem setup, or the B&B off-road setup)  where water roost, dirt, etc does not reach the underside of the turn signals/wiring.  This is an adv bike, not a road-only machine.

Tazmool

• Like 2

Personally, price has been my biggest issue with these tail-tidys that are essential milled metal, very basic lights, and some wires. Having to fork over $80 for materials that basic just because the market is in demand is ridiculous. This isn't a performance-enhancing feature, so why would I pay a price equivalent to that?

And on a second point, more importantly in-line with Tazmool is the protection and location. I'm not forking over that much money if this thing might end up getting destroyed in a tip-over in the end.

Thirdly, after reading review after review of the exhaust point being a major critique of this bike, there is no question I am going to fit my bike with a high-exhaust relatively soon. So with that in mind, a tail tidy that acknowledges this will for sure be the first one I consider.

On a tangentially-related note, having something like this (see pic) for the light-install points would be super nifty! I know a lot of other owners are considering buying some aftermarket turn signals, so just having a feature like this on the tail would be an awesome indicator that this manufacturer is super mindful towards our crowd.

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 10.45.52 PM.png

• Like 3

• Supporting Vendor

All great feedback!  Keep it coming!

As far as the high exhaust, I've only seen a few, and with the exception of one, seemed like they were all custom.

Who is making high exhausts specifically for the Tenere 700?  I ask so I can point it out and see if the Tail tidy can accommodate.

• Premium Member

As far as I know, Huzar exhausts from Poland are one of the few that are making the high exhaust (its the one I got), I think there was another manufacturer, but I'm not sure, I stopped looking after I purchased mine.

I am sure there will be other manufacurers as well, but the high mounting location is going to be pretty much universal (there is only so much room for a muffler besides the tail) so the Huzar system will most likely be emulated. 

Tazmool

Integrated tail light/turn signals! I'd buy immediately! Agree with other comments, something small.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I should ad that the only reason I don't have a tail-tidy already is because of the high-exit exhaust, everythig out there right now does not seem to accomodate the high muffler.  I'll take the muffler & pipe being out of the way vs a tail-tidy. 

The only tail-tidys that may seem close to working is either the Camel ADV or maybe the B&B off-road, but I'm not willing to buy a set only to find out they don't work.  

The stock tail on the T700 and stock (& aftermarket) signals work just fine with the High exit exhaust, ironically only the aftermarket tail-tidys are a problem. 

Tazmool

Might I suggest a way to lower the tail tidy: Like an additional piece of metal or spacers so that you can lower the license plate? I imagine the exhaust itself will sit already really close to the tail light to begin with.

In this video Andrew Tobin uses metal spacers to lower the tail tidy to a likeable height. Granted, he does cut the tail, but the general idea is there.

Screen-Shot-2020-07-20-at-12.37.33-PM.jpg

1835678138_PBTT.jpg.a12d18465d507bcbd669b824b21cec1c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Belissimoto - just my two pennies worth: 

Ideally - no cutting of any plastics/mounts/cables

Re-use of existing cables and (optional for the owner) indicator stems (or suggest flexible stems that could fit)

Slightly boring perhaps - the numbers on the number plate needs to be seen from the rear and not pointing up to the stars - thus enabling me not to be pulled over on my way to or from the 'lanes'.

Clear of the rear wheel at the most extreme suspension compression.

Personally I don't mind a reasonable amount of dismantling (of existing mounts) and reassembly of the new kit as I have found the Ten7 to be easy to work on - however most of my bikes date from many moons ago when fasteners would crumble if you brought a spanner close - so I am probably not the best judge!

I am concerned about vibration eventually twanging off anything stuck on the tail end, so some thought on anti-vibration (even a bit of neoprene to damp out vibrations) would be great.

Looks - well beauty is in the eye of the beholder so just make sure it works at least!

Thanks for asking for input

• Like 2