Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Check your Tenere 700 linkage bearings.

Totti

Wish I'd read this before installing lowering links, I would have greased the bolts (I loctited the bolts and don't feel like messing with it again).  I did feel like the bearings were a bit light on grease but there was definitely grease in there.  I slathered some more on.  

It was interesting that the instructions with the OEM lowering links said 48 Nm torque for the bolts, while the shop manual says 60 Nm.  The difference being the links instructions said to use loctite.  I felt the bolts were a bit hard to remove so I like the 48 Nm better.  I went with 50 Nm.  

Checked mine and all greased ok. Still rammed it with marine grade stuff tho for good measure.

the suspension rear needs to have sag static sag set at 20mm which means the manual pre load is almost to the max. The rear has a progressive action a bit like the uni link system. If the pre load is unwound you lose 50% of the spring usefulness and as such when you ride it with rider sag built in you are likely losing 70% of the spring hence it feels harsh

Edited by Matth

does it needs to be high extreme pressure grease or typical waterproof grease like lithium or Belray waterproof would work?

Just  a word of warning, regarding greasing any bearing. There's an issue of over greasing! NOT joking! Amateur mechanics feel the need to " too much is never enough " mentality greasing bearings.

Let me tell you rollers in bearings need to be able to rotate, in an over packed bearing the rollers are restricted to rotate freely. Over packed wheel bearings will overheat and ultimately fail.

When I checked out my linkages, I found that they were fine, I lightly greased with high pressure marine so the bolts so they were  not  dry, then assembled. That's all that's required. Over packed bearing is as bad as a dry bearing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Overpacking wheel bearings is not good but linkage bearings a a little different. As they don't constantly rotate then a little overpacking isn't detrimental. I have seen graphic evidence of undergreased linkages where the needles wear the inner race as compared to my old XT600 Army special('91 model) with grease nipples on the swingarm and the linkages. They are original bearings and after a quick clean they were regreased and put back in.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

just changed my links yesterday ... the linkage bearings were all greased just fine from the factory ... so Japan did it's thing good. ... at least for my Canadian version T7

• Like 3

On 8/25/2020 at 6:13 PM, JohnfromDP said:

that bolt was pretty crusty for 7000 km. Do you do water crossings or pressure wash the bike.  Ill check mine when it arrives as Im pulling the shock and forks for a restring and revolve...

No water crossings or pressure wash. No winter driving. Over winter in a warm garage.  No salty roads. Just normal driving on tarmac and gravel. Not even heavy rains.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

On 8/25/2020 at 4:13 PM, JohnfromDP said:

that bolt was pretty crusty for 7000 km. Do you do water crossings or pressure wash the bike.  Ill check mine when it arrives as Im pulling the shock and forks for a restring and revolve...

I was talking to my Yamaha dealer (who can't sell the T7 fast enough) about this yesterday and he said that, while he'd not come across this on any of the bikes he has sold, it might be due to using a pressure washer at high temperatures after serious off-roading. He's started his dealership in 1979 so he tends to know a thing or two.  

On 8/30/2020 at 2:43 PM, Rickster said:

I was talking to my Yamaha dealer (who can't sell the T7 fast enough) about this yesterday and he said that, while he'd not come across this on any of the bikes he has sold, it might be due to using a pressure washer at high temperatures after serious off-roading. He's started his dealership in 1979 so he tends to know a thing or two.  

I heard the same answers after my 990 Adventure's exhaust pipe broke near the lambda sensor.

There has been numerous reports about this issue around the world. But no dealer has even heard a single one to been broken.

It's a known fact that the bike factories don't put enough grease to the linkage and steering head bearings. With the tiny bit of grease they use, the bearings last over the warranty time. And that's enough for them.

• Like 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

swing arm, linkage, front fork bearings, all as to bea greased, like on all bikes..

• Like 5

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

12 hours ago, Totti said:

I heard the same answers after my 990 Adventure's exhaust pipe broke near the lambda sensor.

There has been numerous reports about this issue around the world. But no dealer has even heard a single one to been broken.

It's a known fact that the bike factories don't put enough grease to the linkage and steering head bearings. With the tiny bit of grease they use, the bearings last over the warranty time. And that's enough for them.

Should be greased ok in Sweden then, we got 5 years warranty here.

Tried to check mine when i changed rear spring but whith oem centerstand i could not get the bolt out.

9 hours ago, Roger said:

Tried to check mine when i changed rear spring but whith oem centerstand i could not get the bolt out.

Five years?! How did You Swedes do it? I thought it was two years everywhere.

I picked up my 920 mile T7 today. In near perfect condition, had its yamaha 600 mile service done 6 months ago.

Marvelous bike, I am loving it.

When I got home I swapped the linkage for a longer to get 20mm hieght drop.

I checked the bearings when I was there. they were neigh on dry. there was even inprints of the rollers on the internal carrier at one point. Greased up with some marine grease, but this was not impressive!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

just a reminder to grease shock linkage roller bearings & bolts did mine on the weekend 2 hr job. 2 photos show lack of grease on rollers & third photo shows how I suspended bike to take weight of rear wheel.IMG_4045.thumb.JPG.2c9769c78c53246638cef5490c11b71b.JPG

IMG_4041.JPG

IMG_4044.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Cruizin pinned this topic

I managed a Yamaha dealership for a few years 30 years ago, i used to always say that Yamaha was still using the original tub of grease that they bought when they started the company. 

• Haha 2

On 9/13/2020 at 10:49 PM, manny said:

just a reminder to grease shock linkage roller bearings & bolts did mine on the weekend 2 hr job. 2 photos show lack of grease on rollers & third photo shows how I suspended bike to take weight of rear wheel.IMG_4045.thumb.JPG.2c9769c78c53246638cef5490c11b71b.JPG

IMG_4041.JPG

IMG_4044.JPG

Like your Man cave, yip those bearing have the absolute min grease needed , get it in there and will be fine for years!

I've just spent the afternoon greasing the suspension linkages. I've learnt the lesson to grease these well since I've a WR450 and the suspension is similar. Why are they so mean with grease when they build these bikes? All the bolts were starting to corrode and I ended up putting a couple of them on my lathe and cleaning up with emery cloth. The needle rollers were almost bereft of grease. However what I like about the T7 is that you can see similar design philosophies between that and the WR450 so it helps with maintenance. 

Time well spent I think. 

• Like 2

Just checked and as expected no grease, bike only has 600miles on it but meaning to do it for a few weeks now. Simple job, as been said, under an hour to complete but gives you peace of mind.

To be fair to Yamaha it’s a pretty common issue across brands. Got stung a few years ago with a new Beta Xtrainer, hadn’t looked at linkage for first 25hrs and bearings were screwed, no grease from factory.

Lesson learned, check them every year now, pack with marine grease.

CE1CCC21-E35F-44E6-9A28-F47A65175F71.jpeg

• Like 1

Today I checked my linkage bearings and  one bearing  was  almost dry. So I greased them all, cleaned the rear shock and now I'm ready for next modification🙂.

1605900538795.jpg

Edited by slawmir
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 2:00 PM, Roger said:

Their is a way to get that bolt out. I just ran into the same issue, but not getting those bearings greased was not an option. I won’t suggest my method is safe by no means, but going slow and careful it worked Pretty good for me. 

With the bike on the center stand, I put the kick stand down and placed a jack under it (a wood block might be a more stable better idea) and I just lifted the bike up off the left side of the center stand just a tiny bit. This was able to get the pressure off the center stands mount bolts so I could remove that mount and get the bolt out. I then greased it up, re-installed the bolt, the center stand mount and it’s bolts and slowly let the jack down putting the weight fully back on the center stand. I went slow and it worked well. 

Edited by DT675
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine were a bit light on factory lube,  not anymore. The bolts being dry inside the bushings doesn't make much sense to me though. Despite that not being where the real action is, you don't want water sitting in there & getting the corrosion going like we seeing  in Totti's pics here. 

No harm in greasing those bolts inside their sleeves. Couple of mine showed some obvious signs of contact between them & the bushings. Now well greased.

Anyone else finding a little slack in this linkage? Seems to be slight bit of movement at either end of the dog bones translating into a minor sloppy knock at the rear wheel.  The overhaul &  thorough greasing of all parts didn't eliminate it either. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Bolts benefited form some Copper-Slip Anti Seize grease; there was light corrosion built up.

Linkage needle bearings had some grease; but not enough, in my book.

• 2 weeks later...

Should we expect the swingarm to be lacking grease too?  That might be more involved.