Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Check your Tenere 700 linkage bearings.

Totti

30 minutes ago, Louis said:

I agree, plenty of unserviced bearings in years to come. But as no zerk is installed, over greased bearings is less likely.

Louis,

As a side note: I have a 1992 DR350S I have owned since new. It came stock with 5 grease zerks on the suspension. I greased it with a pump or two, twice a year, for the past 29 years. I had to replace the lower bushing on the rear shock the other year and it was the first time I disassembled the suspension. Everything was perfect.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

34 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

in twenty five years I would be 92 years old

Jack, I am only five years behind you, time is closing in on us so we got to keep the fun level high! Maybe when our time is imminent we should pick up a couple Hayabusa's, buy a new go-pro, and see if we can jump the Snake River Canyon (without a sissy parachute).

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• 7 months later...

Checked mine today at 3k miles while replacing the rear spring. Plenty of grease in the bearings.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 8:23 AM, Totti said:

I heard the same answers after my 990 Adventure's exhaust pipe broke near the lambda sensor.

There has been numerous reports about this issue around the world. But no dealer has even heard a single one to been broken.

It's a known fact that the bike factories don't put enough grease to the linkage and steering head bearings. With the tiny bit of grease they use, the bearings last over the warranty time. And that's enough for them.

Maybe I don`t know much BUT... I`m pretty sure of one thing - this is how they f...k us all on OEM service warranty ext. Riding bikes since a kid and nothing is so reliable now days, like it was some time ego. The old Japan school of bikes got washed away with sushi chain bars...grease on a cow for 10K $.... No dummy issues on my XT 660R (2007) which I tortured enough . We have that kind of  saying i PL - "  more you grease so  more you ride" ore something like that 🙂 It`s kinda sad perspective 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 11:38 PM, Bart76 said:

Maybe I don`t know much BUT... I`m pretty sure of one thing - this is how they f...k us all on OEM service warranty ext. Riding bikes since a kid and nothing is so reliable now days, like it was some time ego. The old Japan school of bikes got washed away with sushi chain bars...grease on a cow for 10K $.... No dummy issues on my XT 660R (2007) which I tortured enough . We have that kind of  saying i PL - "  more you grease so  more you ride" ore something like that 🙂 It`s kinda sad perspective 

I agree with this 100%.

This is not a conscious action by the manufacturers, but is due to the standards that must be maintained (cost savings), which we then pay for if we want to use the motorcycle for many years.

A grease nipple and some relieve holes are not so expensive and should be done in the factory.
IMG_20220318_094850.thumb.jpg.bb1318d6202aefc236df6c30ded8447e.jpgIMG_20220318_094900.thumb.jpg.5166b0fb00e8aa20b6cfdd1f2f8c8ecd.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 1:50 AM, Totti said:

Fitted a stiffer spring and at the same time I checked both the linkage and swing arm bearings. 
Seems that Yamaha has no grease at the factory. Two of the bearings had seazed. Managed to get them moving again.
One of the bolts looked like it had been there for years. Bike is ten months old and 7000 km. I guess next on the list is the steering head.

4BE2460F-3D6A-49CC-BCCE-1D89228A989F.jpeg

Hmm, you are not the only one who have talked about this. One guy even put out a video on how to do it. I wanted to do it to my bike, but I don't have a center stand and I have heard that you should not lift the bike from under the engine. I need to find alternatives on how to lift it. I ride Rosie (my T7) rain or shine. I think that it is important for me to do it to my baby. I saw the video about a year ago, but to be honest I had forgotten about this. And I used to think that I was such a good Ténéré parent. Geeesh! Thank you for reminding me. 

On 7/21/2020 at 6:28 AM, rhicks said:

but is it a EU thing or also a problem with the JP bikes?  I hope the Japan built bikes didn't do this.

This is my second Yamaha ever. I don't know if the first I got had that problem. That was way before the internet was around so there was no easy way of talking with other owners back then. I've owned other Japanese bike, only Japanese (since the EU bike have so many issues), and I've never heard any of the other bikes I've own having this problem. May be it's not that Yamaha is not putting enough grease, may be just using cheap grease. May be both. It makes me wonder about the other bearings in the bike. 

While you are at greasing it, don't forget the top end of the suspension. The guy in the video I shared before said that the top end also needs to be done too. That is just one bolt, easy.

• Like 1

It's not just Yamaha. My DRz400's swingarm pivot bolt turned into quite a removal chore when it seized in the frame due to lack of lubrication. Several days of penetrating oil, heat application and use of a puller I fabricated.  I learned my lesson and have lubed all the rear suspension bits on subsequent bikes when I bought them.

IMG00031-20120106-0846.jpg.bd0434ac20153924162f849fc6dcddbd.jpgIMG00033-20120106-0853.jpg.2352c18584aac9e455646a07667af907.jpgIMG00035-20120108-1253.jpg.adf8687917da96651ce19de1b51d92ac.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

still amazed that people are consernd about the bold that holds pices to the axel the bolt is going trough.

the bolt i put in kopervet {not that it matters if the bolt is oxidised.. as long its just the bolt}..  but the axel just a bit of grease in the needle bearing.

didn't see a big problem.

i also changed my wheel bearings.  not cause there was something wrong with them.. just that 30000 km and a long trip i had to make shure i would not get problems on the trip.

• Like 1

I did the links/bearings a week ago, when I fitted a stiffer spring, everything seemed in good order.BUT I ride in Southern California,  so no rain, there's that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 12:18 AM, williestreet said:

I was also a bit confused when I checked the swingarm bearings and found only one bearing on the right side.  

The 1 -bearing installed was very deep. and there was a huge space outboard of the bearing.  Initially I thought someone screwed up and forgot to install the second bearing, but Checked the service manual to find it was correct.  

There is no step in the collar and no reason I can see why a second bearing could not be installed.  

I will leave it as is for now, but unless someone can give me a good reason I will probably install 2- bearings in the right side when the time comes for a replacement.   

I should have measured, but actually I think there is room to install 3 bearings in each side if you really wanted to.  

I found the exact same thing with my old Mt-09. Cost cutting to the supreme. I fit up an extra bearing when I lubed it all at 40,000km.

• Like 2

Guess you guys weren't kidding. Not even a lightly greasy finger after checking in there.  I didn't go for the swingarm...Assuming that's been found dry as well?

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

• 2 months later...

20,000 mls and i have play in swinging arm bearings. another job to do before MOT in december. at least i will have my abba skylift.🙂

i think i will put 4 bearings in instead of  the oem 3.

So looking thru the forum as I'm contemplating a Tenere 700 and ran across this post.  I have a 2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, last year when replacing the front wheel pulled the brake calipers and found the lower mounting bolts to look very similar the the one in the original posting - radially mounted dual front rotors so 2 calipers and 4 mounting bolts.  Think it was about 11,000 miles and the bike was 11 months old.  Ordered titanium bolts and put it back together after cleaning up the corroded bolts and went on a 6,500 mile trip.  Couple of months ago mounted new tires getting ready for another long trip.  Pulled the brake calipers off and the lower bolts were corroded again!  Upper bolts looked new.  There was some small corrosion on the threads of the lower bolts.  Installed the titanium bolts.

The bike was bought new in Sioux Falls SD and has been thru rain but never on roads that had been salted recently.  It is always kept in a garage and never pressure washed.  I find it curious that the lower bolts corroded and not the uppers.  Best reason I can come up with is the bolts were not made in Japan and the coating on the bolts was faulty causing the corrosion.  Don't know the size of the bolt in the OP but looks about the same as my caliper mounting bolts.

At some point will pull one of the titanium caliper bolts just to see but do not expect any issues.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2021 at 2:18 PM, williestreet said:

I was also a bit confused when I checked the swingarm bearings and found only one bearing on the right side.  

The 1 -bearing installed was very deep. and there was a huge space outboard of the bearing.  Initially I thought someone screwed up and forgot to install the second bearing, but Checked the service manual to find it was correct.  

There is no step in the collar and no reason I can see why a second bearing could not be installed.  

I will leave it as is for now, but unless someone can give me a good reason I will probably install 2- bearings in the right side when the time comes for a replacement.   

I should have measured, but actually I think there is room to install 3 bearings in each side if you really wanted to.  

There are two bearings on the chain side because of the chain pulling force on it’s side. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:41 AM, bth2 said:

20,000 mls and i have play in swinging arm bearings. another job to do before MOT in december. at least i will have my abba skylift.🙂

i think i will put 4 bearings in instead of  the oem 3.

replaced the 3 swinging arm bearings. bit of a palava due to not having the correct pullers . found bearings with plenty of grease and clean from oem. sleeve was found to have wear causing the play. all replaced + the added bearing . all is now good.

13 hours ago, bth2 said:

replaced the 3 swinging arm bearings. bit of a palava due to not having the correct pullers . found bearings with plenty of grease and clean from oem. sleeve was found to have wear causing the play. all replaced + the added bearing . all is now good.

Recently checked and regreased my swingarm bearings, found there to be what I would consider an unreasonable amount of play, was considering replacing but OEM bearing kit was between 8 and 12 weeks away, after contacting my suspension guy he said that much play is normal, it doesn't sit well with me but I ran with anyways.

Couple of questions, did you use Yamaha bearing kit, and did it eliminate all the play or was there still a little?

20221019_140131.gif

Edited by Stevoh

hi stevoe,

what ,i think, you have there is normal clearance between the bolt and the bearing sleeve. when you fasten it all up that play will disappear. to test for play in the linkage bearings,everything should be torqued up as per spec. then see if you have any up and down play at the rear wheel. there should be little to no play up and down. if you do find play , a closer inspection will be required to find which bearing/bearings are dodgy.  i did not use a yamaha oem kit. i sourced the bearings and sleeves from a bearing supplier and wemoto.

search for linkage bearings to find my list of bearing id's

brian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bth2 said:

hi stevoe,

what ,i think, you have there is normal clearance between the bolt and the bearing sleeve. when you fasten it all up that play will disappear. to test for play in the linkage bearings,everything should be torqued up as per spec. then see if you have any up and down play at the rear wheel. there should be little to no play up and down. if you do find play , a closer inspection will be required to find which bearing/bearings are dodgy.  i did not use a yamaha oem kit. i sourced the bearings and sleeves from a bearing supplier and wemoto.

search for linkage bearings to find my list of bearing id's

brian

Yes correct the bearings seem ok the play is between the bolt and the sleeves, about the same for each sleeve, you can feel play with the bike jacked up and lifting the swingarm, more than I'm comfortable with but apparently it's nothing to worry about, Off The Road do a bearing kit, it's half the price of the Yamaha kit even with frieght to Australia.

• 2 months later...

I just got a brand new 2022. Decided to check the linkage given this thread. Thankfully it looks like Yamaha is doing a better job with the grease these days. All the linkages were well lubricated. Can anyone confirm that the sleeve bushings are a bit wider than the triangular linkage piece? It sticks out on either side by about 2 mm. Seems that this would allow the dog bones to shift laterally from side to side? Guessing this was part of intentional design?

0DEFA24B-05AC-4BB8-9C4D-F7F413F720DA.jpeg

Edited by Endopotential

3 hours ago, Endopotential said:

I just got a brand new 2022. Decided to check the linkage given this thread. Thankfully it looks like Yamaha is doing a better job with the grease these days. All the linkages were well lubricated. Can anyone confirm that the sleeve bushings are a bit wider than the triangular linkage piece? It sticks out on either side by about 2 mm. Seems that this would allow the dog bones to shift laterally from side to side? Guessing this was part of international design?

0DEFA24B-05AC-4BB8-9C4D-F7F413F720DA.jpeg

Normal, nothing to worry about.

If it didn't protrude the dogbanes would rub the swingarm and put wear on both as they rotate.

• Like 2

Here's what it looks like when you spend too much time riding when you should be wrenching. I removed the swingarm for the first time at 40K km. The pivot collar was completely seized in the bearings and the right side was packed full of crud. I tapped the collar out and this is what it looks like:

1312131509_pivotcollar.jpg.1da8fde32ae2b583e901387ffe8d7b0d.jpg

The right side is severely pitted and grooved from corrosion at the bearing. The bearing itself is obviously in a similar state and was seized in the swingarm. I made a DIY bearing puller/slide hammer and after some cussing and sweating the bearing came free. Pretty gross:

282620718_blindbearingpuller.jpg.834801e4e23448d0b688a7743b634e95.jpg1214645847_rightsidebearing.jpg.811de7df8f353aeea01866e45604ce64.jpg

The left side bearings were in good shape and there was minimal wear on that end of the collar.

I will be ordering a new collar, bearings, and seals and my plan is to shove an extra bearing on the right side as others here have mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1