Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Motoz tractionator GPS

Louis

I see the Motoz front tires come in tubed and tubeless versions, but same size (90/90).

Kyle Bradshaw recommends the tubeless version for the T7/790/890 even though we run with tubes. 

What did you guys pick?

5 hours ago, JayD said:

I see the Motoz front tires come in tubed and tubeless versions, but same size (90/90).

Kyle Bradshaw recommends the tubeless version for the T7/790/890 even though we run with tubes. 

What did you guys pick?

Motoz says the tube tires are for the lighter dual sport or enduro style bikes and the tubeless is for the heavier adventure bikes.  I consider the T7 at 450lbs heavy so I went with the heavier tubeless tires even though I run a tube.  I wouldn't have been adverse to trying the lighter tube tires.  Maybe in the future.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Idarex said:

Motoz says the tube tires are for the lighter dual sport or enduro style bikes and the tubeless is for the heavier adventure bikes.  I consider the T7 at 450lbs heavy so I went with the heavier tubeless tires even though I run a tube.  I wouldn't have been adverse to trying the lighter tube tires.  Maybe in the future.

Are both tubed and tubeless made for the same size rim?

3 hours ago, Stabilo_Boss said:

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Some Tubed and Tubliss tires are the same size, some aren't.  Buy the tire size you want either way.  From the Motoz site;

NOTE: Tube Tyre Tractionator Adventure are specifically designed for single seat enduro class bikes (typically single cyclinder, single seat bikes), where riders want to cover long distance/adventure (don’t use light weight Tube Type on large multi cylinder adventure class bikes).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stabilo_Boss said:

6 hours ago, Stabilo_Boss said:

For the Motoz Tractionator GPS the tires only come in Tubeless (TL type) only and they are per the Motoz website designed for a 2.5" front rim.  They are permissable on a 2.15" rim.  SO technically our 1.85" rim is too small.  You will have a reduced contact patch as the tire is squeezed into a sharper profile.  This may present odd handling characteristics...or it might be OK as these aren't knobby fronts.  

image.thumb.png.374b84241a4de550062df7104464c4e1.png

For other Motoz tires like the Rallz, the Tractionator Adventure,  Desert H/T there is a difference in Permissable rim size between the TL and TT versions ( TL=Tubeless TT =Tube Type).  But for comparison and in reference to the "warning" @Idarex posted, both Tractionator Adventure Fronts TT and TL have the same load rating (54) but different speed rating.  TT is 54Q 100mph TL is 54R 105mph.

Tractionator Rallz:  same ratings as above.

Tractionator Desert H/T: same ratings as above.

IF you plan to run a Motoz tire, search on their AUS website: 

motoz_logo_big.png

MOTOZ Motorcycle Tyres are designed by dirt bike enthusiasts who love riding off road. MOTOZ specializes in enduro, desert, adventure, hybrid and MX tyres.

tire dimensions, ratings and rim widths. 

The Main website   (6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn MOTOZ Tyres – High Performance Adventure & Off-Road Motorcycle Tyres – High Performance Adventure & Off-Road Motorcycle Tyres) only shows tire size and load ratings.

I have found them to be great tires as long as you buy the correct tire for your rim width.  I disregard the TL TT designation for Motoz and fit the tire based on size and permissable rim width.  If you read of someone commenting on headshakes or abnormal wear it's likely a result of a wider tire on a narrow rim...not always but most likely.  I found this out personally and corrected the issue by running the Tube Type on my stock rim instead of the Tubeless.

J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, JayD said:

What did you guys pick?

IF you buy a Motoz tire, verify the permissable rim size and run the correct tire for your rim regardless of TL vs TT ( they both have the same load rating but different speed rating).  IF you still have OEM rims that take tubes, run a tube in either tire.  Most likely with Motoz's tires, on the T7 OEM rim you will run the Tube Type ( TT) tire and use a tube.  

Motoz's TT tires run on wider rims than an identical sized TL tire.

J

59 minutes ago, Goldentaco said:

For the Motoz Tractionator GPS the tires only come in Tubeless (TL type) only and they are per the Motoz website designed for a 2.5" front rim.  They are permissable on a 2.15" rim.  SO technically our 1.85" rim is too small.  You will have a reduced contact patch as the tire is squeezed into a sharper profile.  This may present odd handling characteristics...or it might be OK as these aren't knobby fronts.  

For other Motoz tires like the Rallz, the Tractionator Adventure,  Desert H/T there is a difference in Permissable rim size between the TL and TT versions ( TL=Tubeless TT =Tube Type).  But for comparison and in reference to the "warning" @Idarex posted, both Tractionator Adventure Fronts TT and TL have the same load rating (54) but different speed rating.  TT is 54Q 100mph TL is 54R 105mph.

motoz_logo_big.png

MOTOZ Motorcycle Tyres are designed by dirt bike enthusiasts who love riding off road. MOTOZ specializes in enduro, desert, adventure, hybrid and MX tyres.

The Main website   (6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn MOTOZ Tyres – High Performance Adventure & Off-Road Motorcycle Tyres – High Performance Adventure & Off-Road Motorcycle Tyres) only shows tire size and load ratings.

I have found them to be great tires as long as you buy the correct tire for your rim width.  I disregard the TL TT designation for Motoz and fit the tire based on size and permissable rim width.  If you read of someone commenting on headshakes or abnormal wear it's likely a result of a wider tire on a narrow rim...not always but most likely.  I found this out personally and corrected the issue by running the Tube Type on my stock rim instead of the Tubeless.

J

Good stuff!

Just checked RMATV on the Motoz Tractionator Adventure.  Rear TT is $55 less and the front TT is $10 less than the TL versions.

Edited by Idarex

6 minutes ago, Idarex said:

Good stuff!

Just checked RMATV on the Motoz Tractionator Adventure.  Rear TT is $55 less and the front TT is $10 less than the TL versions.

Rear Tractionator Adventure only comes in TL for stock size anyway.  If you're looking at the 140 size rear then you have a choice.  You do get a choice on the front in stock sizes.

J

12 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

motoz_logo_big.png

J

Thanks for that, it was insightful.

What is a good front tire that fits the 1.85" rim  to match up with the rear tractionator GPS?

50 minutes ago, Stabilo_Boss said:

Thanks for that, it was insightful.

What is a good front tire that fits the 1.85" rim  to match up with the rear tractionator GPS?

With the GPS you're probably not looking for something aggressive.  You could really go with anything on the front.  Dunlop trailmax MIssion, Anekee Wild,  Mitas E07, Shinko 705, Anekee 3, or a Kenda K761 ( had these on my F650 and they weren't half bad...great on road).  I'm hesitant to make a recommendation that I haven't ridden.  I tend to slap the most aggressive tire I can stand for on road riding.  I usually don't run a tire like the GPS on my dual sports or Adventure bikes as I prefer more grip in the dirt.  On the Tenere 700 I have a Motoz Desert H/T 150/80-18 TL and a Rallz TT.  It's great.  Superb offroad, tons of grip everywhere and great in sand.  On road I can ride twisties, backroads, and freeway however I want.  I really don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything with this combo.  At 85mph the front gets a little wobbly but it s fine for passing.

On my 1200 GS I had a similar rear to the GPS, the Heidenau K60 and ran an Anekee Wild front.  It was great.  The Anekee is grippy on the road and I could ride it as hard as I wanted.  Lasted about 6500 miles. 

The GPS even with the rim size discrepancy seems to do alright.  In fact Dunlop recommends the Trailmax mission for the Tenere when you use their fitment guide.  Some tire profiles may not be as picky about rim width as others. 

J

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

@Louisany further updates on this tire? This tire has long been a top consideration for me when i become ready to move on from the stock Pirelli's. 

For reference, I'm pretty happy with the stock Pirelli for the surfaces i tend to ride.  However, any sand in the mix and the bike becomes a handful.   

@DT675 sorry  not much to add at this stage as I have not been riding the T7 for the past few months. I've got 7 bikes 😉 think if you're reasonably happy with the stock Pirelli tyres, you'll find the GPS will be an improvement particularly off the paved road. The Pirelli tends to feel a bit wriggly when  riding in firm mud. I can't comment about sandy conditions with the Pirelli as I didn't find/ride much. I suspect that the GPS would be better as I found the Pirelli tends to wander sideways. 

• Like 1

That’s a good enough update for me! Thanks!  I’m excited to try a set. (Might be a while yet though as I split my time between more than one bike too- but not 7 lol).

I can only wonder what your riding the most of...

• 6 months later...
On 6/10/2021 at 11:22 AM, Goldentaco said:

On the Tenere 700 I have a Motoz Desert H/T 150/80-18 TL and a Rallz TT.

Do you mounted the 150/70-18 TL on the OEM rim? I'm also interested in these tires, but I'm not really sure if they fit the OEM rim with 4.00 inch.

Thanks for an answer.

2 hours ago, Urgestein said:

Do you mounted the 150/70-18 TL on the OEM rim? I'm also interested in these tires, but I'm not really sure if they fit the OEM rim with 4.00 inch.

Thanks for an answer.

That's the OEM size so why shouldn't it fit??

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Urgestein said:

Thanks for an answer.

Yes.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

That's the OEM size so why shouldn't it fit??

Because the OEM rim is a bit more narrow (4 inch) than the standard (4.25) or recommended (4.5) width from Motoz.

I'm not so familiar with tire sizes to decide, if this fits or not.

So thank you for the answers. Looks like I will also test the Motoz 🙂 It's not that easy in germany to find a dealer for them...

11 hours ago, Urgestein said:

Because the OEM rim is a bit more narrow (4 inch) than the standard (4.25) or recommended (4.5) width from Motoz.

I'm not so familiar with tire sizes to decide, if this fits or not.

So thank you for the answers. Looks like I will also test the Motoz 🙂 It's not that easy in germany to find a dealer for them...

I'm running a Adventure front, with and Adventure rear on the way (pick up next week), and a GPS rear coming this spring.  I absolutely *love* them.  

Spectacular tires.  Great mileage, super good wet/cold grip, super deep tread depth, and massively better offroad performance vs stock. 

You can talk to the Motoz guys directly on their instagram if you have any questions regarding which to use, but their recommendation to me was to use the tubeless tires (with tubes, of course) of the stock T7 sizes.  

The Tube Type tires are meant for much smaller bikes, and lack reinforcement to handle the weight and stresses of a bigger, more heavier bike.

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

their recommendation to me was to use the tubeless tires (with tubes, of course) of the stock T7 sizes.

So, also for the front? Because the difference here is even a bit bigger. Recommended 2.15 inch to OEM 1.85 inch.

But thanks a lot, now I am ready to order 🙂

18 hours ago, Urgestein said:

So, also for the front? Because the difference here is even a bit bigger. Recommended 2.15 inch to OEM 1.85 inch.

But thanks a lot, now I am ready to order 🙂

Yes, the 90/90-21 tubeless is on my bike right now, fit on perfectly and runs great: 20220125_123901.thumb.jpg.b4022db13dd4c56fb66ede2ce5798640.jpg

On 1/27/2022 at 3:52 AM, Urgestein said:

Thanks for an answer.

Yes,  and it fit fine.  I get about 5800 mi from the H/T rear.  As it flattens out across the center, the cornering handling changes as you're relying more on the side knobs.  This led to a wallowing feeling in corners at speed.  I could have got another 2000 miles off it but the handling wasn't good any more.

I have since tried the Rallz rear and the tire is not as stiff.  It feels better as an allaround tire and goes great in the dirt.  You can spin it up easier and it looses side traction easier than the H/T but has impressive grip in loose rocky rubble.

I like them both but I think the Rallz rear will last longer without loosing too much performance offroad.

J

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am riding the Tractionator GPS now for 8000km under various conditions in Victoria, Australia and here is my experience:

• It took time to scruff the tyres in, in particular the rear one.
  • The front tyre works reliably on- and offroad. Never had an issue.
  • The rear tyre never gave me the full confidence that was hoping for though. It was breaking out/sliding out many times under different conditions. Fortunately always softly so there where no dangerous situations. The rear just becomes too soft and the tyre starts sliding.
  • The rear has good drift control on gravel. Absolutely fun to ride and very predictable.
  • I was digging through deep mud and drove very steep rocky sections in the Victorian High Country and the Tractionator performed very well. With the strong side walls, I could drop the pressure as needed and the tyre is reliable as.
  • Drive with care on wet roads. That's where I lost traction several times. It was always the rear tyre causing me grief.
  • Super long lasting. After 8000km the front tyre looks hardly worn. The rear tyre has still lots of tread left.
  • The rear tyre seems to wear strongest when driving fast.
  • A great, long-lasting set of adventure touring tyres, very enjoyable off roads, but care needs to be taken on wet roads.
  • Like 2

One comment on the GPS: I've got about 8000 miles on one...still has around  40% of the tread depth left. Riding about 60% pavement and the rest gravel and dirt. So they do last like everyone says. One thing that is different about this tire: on gravel the center rubber means it wiggles a bit on gravel. And has better traction if you lean the bike over as you are then on the side lugs not the center. Also have found that 28 PSI cold is more comfortable than higher on gravel as the contact patch is wider. YMMV

• Like 3

Motoz is hard to get in Europe. Would a 140/80/R18 fit perfectly (3.75")?

What will be the major difference with riding a 150?