Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Pillion comfort?

Old tenere phil

Hi,

Does anyone ride two up with pillion much? 

I'm about to buy a 700 having had the xt660z before. Although I will mostly be riding alone my Mrs regularly comes on day trips and we want to do some touring.  This will be my only bike so wondering if this bike is up to it.

The seat seems to be much better than the 660z for me but not sure the pillion perch is up to touring?  Lack of decent grab rail might be an issue too.

But I'd  like to hear from owners who ride two up regularly and what they or their pillion think about comfort on the 700 for light touring.

Cheers

We just went out for a 50 mile ride the other day. She says its very comfortable in the back. I also bought a little gel pad to zip tie in the back for added comfort. As for me, the bike pulled the extra weight just fine. I also have the Adventure spec rear rack installed so the tubes act as extra grab handles and create kind of a pocket. 

• Like 1

yep I put on the air hawk seat cushion when we are going 2 up for the big rides

IMG_2983.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for feedback.. what rack have you both fitted that gives you the grab rails? Or is it just rear crash bars?

21 hours ago, manny said:

yep I put on the air hawk seat cushion when we are going 2 up for the big rides

IMG_2983.JPG

Did you install some sort of back to the OEM rear carrier? That's very interesting. Do you have more pics?

its a Yamaha rack that is a little bit heavy but very solid works well for me. I have made some stainless hoops that bolt through rack mount points to hold soft Australian made andy strappz pannier bags of the plastics. also I have added 4 m6 nut insets into rear rack & mounted an alloy plate with stainless hoop that I can put an old gear bag on

IMG_2559.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@manny How do I get one of those plate racks with that tall hoop you made? I have the OEM rear top case rack. (and OEM side racks) I also purchased the 58 Liter Givi Outback Trekker top case. It's great, but.....     it crowds the wife pushing her so far forward that she is uncomfortable and will no longer ride. I'll be buying the Airhawk based off your picture... but that only solves the seat hardness part. She also needs something to lean back against, and it has to give her more room that the Givi case. 

What Airhawk did you get? And what about the neat back rest solution I see above? 

its not really a back rest, the bag I have slips over the top to hold it in place with a strap though the slotted hole in the alloy base. there is a hinge at the base of the hoop so if I did have an accident the hoop would fold down & not smack me in the back. the air hawk is a small one on the receipt it says AHDS.