Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

CLOSED! GROUP BUY: TechSpec Gripster Tank Grips for Tenere T7!!!

BellissiMoto

• Supporting Vendor

Hello everyone!  I hope everyone is out having a great Labor Day Weekend!!!

So I had a chance to take a close look at all the panels, and I'm going to try and cover all bases if there was to be a re-design.  Again, there are a lot of factors as to what goes into making a kit, and/or re-designing one, and I can't speak for TechSpec if they will revise the the entire kit or not.

I've had so much feedback via private message, that the general consensus is that people are a little frustrated because they love the product so much and don't actually want a refund...they just want the fit to be better, and the holes opened up so water doesn't collect.

What I CAN tell you, is that worst case scenario, if there isn't going to be a re-design, we'll still have a pattern if you wanted to do the cut-to-fit sheets, because I'm making my own pattern to send them for review.

I just so happen to absolutely love their snakeskin material, and after having it on my Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, I can't imagine not having it on my Tenere 700, so I'm really making the pattern for me because I have no issue using their cut-to-fit sheets (I do it on all my other bikes).  If it helps TechSpec in their decision to do another revision, than all the better. 

I started on the sections that most people have issue with...the rear panels.

RIGHT REAR:  I made some tweaks to the right rear panel, and opened up the hole to make it so water doesn't collect, but still have a lot of grip material.  I also was shooting for edge uniformity, so grip pad edges are parallel to the panel edges.

The shadows make it hard to capture the symmetry as far as edge distance uniformity, but they are uniform.

118875367_768979597268835_6972124402805313080_n.thumb.jpg.6b7fe3a1f7711202461c2947a0d2d188.jpg

I had to use additional focused lighting because there are curves to the panels, and I wanted to make sure the grip pads are on the FLAT SURFACES.  This is important, because if not, the grip panels *could* be subject to lifting if the curve of the panel is extreme.  I was looking at this from a production standpoint and warranty issue as well, so my design ensures the grip pads are on FLAT surfaces.

LEFT REAR:  This one is tricky.  The key hole throws a wrench into the mix.  There is a large area where water could collect behind the lower part of the keyhole if the grip pad access hole is the exact size of the key hole diameter.  I already know people have issue with the bolt holes being too small for that very reason, so I opted for a different approach.  The other issue is that the area to the left of the keyhole has a recessed surface in the panel, so if you cover that area with grip pad material, again, water could get behind it, and since those surfaces aren't on the same plane, it could be prone to lifting.

118845504_770608143716512_7190975981570093183_n.thumb.jpg.797157a9d2b362d415b716946e4253c2.jpg

My approach was to tailor fit the grip pad around that recess, then come back towards the rear of the panel, this way, again, the grip pad material is on FLAT SURFACES.  The top part that comes back toward the rear has enough meat on it that with their aggressive adhesive material I don't believe it'll be an issue, especially because the rear panel is recessed to begin with, and as other people pointed out, your legs, boots, etc, will probably never contact that portion of the panel (top of the keyhole).

119041045_3344435045645528_6995689173706706268_n.thumb.jpg.4e67b1f147e8b2a72e3c34caba92455d.jpg

"Well then Paul, if you won't come in contact with the top portion above the key hole, why not just leave that hook off?"

Because of symmetry.  I didn't want the top of the left panel to not look as wide as the top of the right panel.

Although the Blue tape is covering the end of that hook, the end of the hook slopes down like the panel does.  It's not a vertical cut.  You'd see that if the tape wasn't covering it up 🙂

Anyway, that's the method to my madness.  I'll work on the other panels when I get off work.

🙂

- Paul

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BellissiMoto said:

So I had a chance to take a close look at all the panels, and I'm going to try and cover all bases if there was to be a re-design.  Again, there are a lot of factors as to what goes into making a kit, and/or re-designing one, and I can't speak for TechSpec if they will revise the the entire kit or not.

Hello Paul, first I'd like to thank you for facilitating a refund for these poorly designed panels. I mailed them back to TechSpec and hope to receive a refund soon. 2nd, I love that you're taking the initiative to design them, perfect them since TechSpec doesn't appear to be that concerned about it. Im really curious to see what you come up with. 

Have you just considered getting a set of Yamaha's grips and using that as a pattern? BadaBingBadaboom. Done. No need to reinvent the wheel because what Yamaha looks really well done. I'll be ordering a set from overseas at some point soon but would have rather purchased from you. I'll keep an eye on what you come up with. 

• Supporting Vendor
3 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

Hello Paul, first I'd like to thank you for facilitating a refund for these poorly designed panels. I mailed them back to TechSpec and hope to receive a refund soon. 2nd, I love that you're taking the initiative to design them, perfect them since TechSpec doesn't appear to be that concerned about it. Im really curious to see what you come up with. 

Have you just considered getting a set of Yamaha's grips and using that as a pattern? BadaBingBadaboom. Done. No need to reinvent the wheel because what Yamaha looks really well done. I'll be ordering a set from overseas at some point soon but would have rather purchased from you. I'll keep an eye on what you come up with. 

Thank you for the kind words.  I didn't consider the Yamaha grip pads because honestly, I don't like them at all.  The snakeskin material that TechSpec has is once of my favorite materials, and I think with some tweaks to the pattern, I'll be a very happy camper.

Again, please don't think TechSpec doesn't care, and that I'm re-designing the panels because they won't.  I'm simply making my own version, and if they'd like them for review, all the better.  They are heavily interested in our community, but again I can't speak to the resources or commitment it takes to do a revision or the decisions thereof.  I do know that they make cut-to-fit sheets though, so if all else fails, I'm still able to have my favorite TechSpec Snakeskin grip pad material on my bike 🙂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BellissiMoto said:

Thank you for the kind words.  I didn't consider the Yamaha grip pads because honestly, I don't like them at all.  The snakeskin material that TechSpec has is once of my favorite materials, and I think with some tweaks to the pattern, I'll be a very happy camper.

Again, please don't think TechSpec doesn't care, and that I'm re-designing the panels because they won't.  I'm simply making my own version, and if they'd like them for review, all the better.  They are heavily interested in our community, but again I can't speak to the resources or commitment it takes to do a revision or the decisions thereof.  I do know that they make cut-to-fit sheets though, so if all else fails, I'm still able to have my favorite TechSpec Snakeskin grip pad material on my bike 🙂

Fair enough. To me, it just seems odd that you're the one taking the innovative to better their pattern and it appears their approach at this point is "its close enough, you dont like it here's a refund" instead of pursuing excellence. I agree I like the material that they have, just a poor design. You're on top of it so really curious to see what you come up with. Good luck Paul and keep us updated! 

• Supporting Vendor
5 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

Fair enough. To me, it just seems odd that you're the one taking the innovative to better their pattern and it appears their approach at this point is "its close enough, you dont like it here's a refund" instead of pursuing excellence. I agree I like the material that they have, just a poor design. You're on top of it so really curious to see what you come up with. Good luck Paul and keep us updated! 

Did you see the pics I posted above of the rear panels?

41 minutes ago, BellissiMoto said:

Did you see the pics I posted above of the rear panels?

I did. Personally, I'd say get rid of that little thin strip. There's no benefit to grip but great potential for pealing, especially when considering you're physically rubbing on it with your knees. I'd just "block" it out in front of the key hole for better potential adhesion. 

119041045_3344435045645528_6995689173706706268_n.thumb.jpg.4e67b1f147e8b2a72e3c34caba92455d.jpg

• Supporting Vendor
9 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

I did. Personally, I'd say get rid of that little thin strip. There's no benefit to grip but great potential for pealing, especially when considering you're physically rubbing on it with your knees. I'd just "block" it out in front of the key hole for better potential adhesion. 

I hear ya, and that's an option, but your triangle covers the recessed indentation, and it's prone to lifting since there isn't much grip material around it.

🙂

- Paul

2 minutes ago, BellissiMoto said:

I hear ya, and that's an option, but your triangle covers the recessed indentation, and it's prone to lifting since there isn't much grip material around it.

🙂

- Paul

I never bragged about being a Rembrandt. And that's my first attempt to use the pencil edit deal in Photos lol. I think you get the idea. And yeah thats a difficult spot no doubt. 

• Supporting Vendor

Haha, all good @johnnygolucky.  No worries 🙂

If I got rid of the strip on top of the key hole, I'd do it like this:

772405574_version2.thumb.jpg.28484e29ea03186934bb383e1fec32ea.jpg

But again, symmetry comes into play, because it's not as wide across the top as the right side.  Still, if I were to remove the strip on top of the key hole, I'd do it like that.  This way, it's definitely on the flat surface and not prone to lifting.

But as others have said, the rear panels don't come into contact very much with your legs or boots, and since it's recessed anyway compared to the "middle" panel, the strip across the top of the key hole is not in jeopardy of lifting, at least IMHO.

🙂

651 miles in the last 3 days most of which was off road and I have no issues with the way they cut the 1st or 2nd run. I’ve even removed the left side panel with ease. I have not modified anything from what I was sent. 

Those miles included several river and creek crossing that were up and over my SIDI boots. Lot of dirt, mud and dust. I washed the bike 2nd time with the pads on and no issues. I like them and so does everyone that sees my bike. BTW a T7 is so rare here I spend a bunch of time talking to other riders/strangers about my bike. My riding buddies on their KTMs and Triumphs which cost way more are jealous I think lol best part is the 790 owners who gravitate towards it. 

my 2 cents.

Edited by roy826
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, roy826 said:

651 miles in the last 3 days most of which was off road and I have no issues with the way they cut the 1st or 2nd run. I’ve even removed the left side panel with ease. I have not modified anything from what I was sent. 

my 2 cents.

That's good to hear.  Then I'm assuming the packet they sent me was from when "Drunk Kevin" was at the machine again and he cut mine. Oh well. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

That's good to hear.  Then I'm assuming the packet they sent me was from when "Drunk Kevin" was at the machine again and he cut mine. Oh well. 

Probably so but my replacement Pieces fit ok. I have no real issue with them. 

44 minutes ago, roy826 said:

Probably so but my replacement Pieces fit ok. I have no real issue with them. 

Yeah man, my replacements were even worse than the first batch. Literally covering up more than half the bolt. Im sure it was just a fluke, twice, Tech Spec seems like a good company based on other stuff they have for other bikes. They could just use some CC on the Tenere 700, and get Kevin the help he deserves. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 1

@BellissiMoto I like both your renderings of the rear panels. If the front panels had the larger holes I could except this set much better. I too really like their grip- I have their tank pads on my Triumph Street Triple and love them. As far as the very rear panels go, I do think they might have grip usage when standing and leaning back like when riding sand. Not much, but some. 

• Supporting Vendor
13 hours ago, DT675 said:

@BellissiMoto I like both your renderings of the rear panels. If the front panels had the larger holes I could except this set much better. I too really like their grip- I have their tank pads on my Triumph Street Triple and love them. As far as the very rear panels go, I do think they might have grip usage when standing and leaning back like when riding sand. Not much, but some. 

Thank you and I agree...probably not enough grip usage to lift up the top of that panel though, especially with their aggressive adhesive.

I use their X-line material with aggressive adhesive on all my performance bikes, and they don't have beveled edges at all, because I made my own cut-to-fit pattern, and they never lifted, ever.

I'll do my best to get the other panel patterns done soon (hopefully this week).

🙂

- Paul

• Supporting Vendor

Quick update...

I finished my templates.  No pics of them on the bike as it was 2am when I finished and my phone was upstairs (didn't want to wake up the fiancee, LoL)

I did scan them though, and arranged the scans into a picture in the proper orientation so you can see what it looks like.

I designed an 8 piece kit.  No one is offering an 8 piece kit, and if there are issues with the rear panels for whatever reason, it's entirely possible TechSpec could still offer a 6 piece kit, and just omit the rear panels altogether, since some folks think they are not needed.

Personally, I want this 8 piece kit after seeing the templates on my bike.  If it were to go into production though, I'm sure cost will go up because it's more material, and more time to bevel all those intricate edges.

I'll order some cut-to-fit sheets and get these on the bike as soon as I can, and report back to TechSpec if there are any issues with this pattern lifting, etc.

In the meantime, feedback from all of you is greatly appreciated.  Would you pay more for an 8 piece kit?  Would you pay more for a 6 piece kit with this more intricate design since there are more intricate edges to bevel?

Anyway, here are the scans.  This is the left side.  The first three pads are symmetrical, and the most rear one is specific left and right because of the keyhole. 

Let me know what you think 🙂

- Paul

1000014394_Tenere700Kitscans.thumb.jpg.7c0e7179f64c99fd362ffc8392f89a5a.jpg

• Like 4

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I think they are pretty good. Sure the holes are a little small but the material is so easy to trim. Literally took me like 20 minutes to cut the holes bigger, sure it's not perfect but no one but me ever notice. I even put a nice bevel on the openings with a razor blade that I think looks pretty good.

• Like 2

@BellissiMoto

Nice job.

I think I would opt to get the cut-to-fit sheets and do it myself to reduce cost, after modifying mine and realizing how easy it is to work with including beveling the edges.

Maybe you are TechSpec could offer the patterns for cut-to-fit your own.

• Supporting Vendor
8 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@BellissiMoto

Nice job.

I think I would opt to get the cut-to-fit sheets and do it myself to reduce cost, after modifying mine and realizing how easy it is to work with including beveling the edges.

I hear ya, but we are the minority.  Most people want a peel and stick kit, with no DIY aspect whatsoever 🙂

• Supporting Vendor
14 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@BellissiMoto

Nice job.

Just a FYI, it *could* end up costing more, especially if you want the diamond pattern to be going the same direction on each side, symmetrically, because of the orientation of the pattern on the cut-to-fit sheets.

• Supporting Vendor
4 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@BellissiMoto

Maybe if we ask nicely they will make large sheets available.

Now that could be possible...but lets just see what's what, and what they ultimately decide after I make my own and do some testing 🙂

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 11:05 AM, BellissiMoto said:

Quick update...

I finished my templates.  No pics of them on the bike as it was 2am when I finished and my phone was upstairs (didn't want to wake up the fiancee, LoL)

I did scan them though, and arranged the scans into a picture in the proper orientation so you can see what it looks like.

I designed an 8 piece kit.  No one is offering an 8 piece kit, and if there are issues with the rear panels for whatever reason, it's entirely possible TechSpec could still offer a 6 piece kit, and just omit the rear panels altogether, since some folks think they are not needed.

Personally, I want this 8 piece kit after seeing the templates on my bike.  If it were to go into production though, I'm sure cost will go up because it's more material, and more time to bevel all those intricate edges.

I'll order some cut-to-fit sheets and get these on the bike as soon as I can, and report back to TechSpec if there are any issues with this pattern lifting, etc.

In the meantime, feedback from all of you is greatly appreciated.  Would you pay more for an 8 piece kit?  Would you pay more for a 6 piece kit with this more intricate design since there are more intricate edges to bevel?

Anyway, here are the scans.  This is the left side.  The first three pads are symmetrical, and the most rear one is specific left and right because of the keyhole. 

Let me know what you think 🙂

- Paul

1000014394_Tenere700Kitscans.thumb.jpg.7c0e7179f64c99fd362ffc8392f89a5a.jpg

If they make your pattern I'm in for a set. I'm not worried about cost just that they work and stay put and look good.

Nice job!

Edited by nhs503

• Supporting Vendor
On 10/1/2020 at 10:34 PM, nhs503 said:

If they make your pattern I'm in for a set. I'm not worried about cost just that they work and stay put and look good.

Nice job!

Thanks!

I received my cut-to-fit sheets, but literally haven't had time to do anything with them just yet.

In the meantime, I want to close the loop on this for everyone...

Tech Spec reviewed all the data and feedback they had on the Tenere 700, and did another revision to the kit. Not only are the rear panels revised so the key hole is centered and bottom edge doesn't cover the bolt hole opening, they also included a brand new Tenere 700 specific center tank pad for only $10 more!!!  Perfect for those individuals wanting to protect their tank if using a tank bag 🙂

If you remember, the two tank pad *options* were $20 and $25 respectively.  The new INCLUDED tank pad is easily double the coverage, and half the cost!

62-4023-ss_4_1_.thumb.jpg.ce1745ead4df03e9ecb8115907173dfc.jpg

62-4023-ss_3_1_.thumb.jpg.bf9399458380b59fd6c643b3e49b15ca.jpg

The kit can now be found on our website here:

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/tank-grip-pads/TechSpec-Tank-Grip-Pads-for-the-Yamaha-Tenere-700-2019

🙂

- Paul

• Like 2

This really sucks for those who already purchased and installed the original ones and purchased the tank pad.   It's great for those who didn't take the plunge already.