Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tusk Quiet Glide Skid Plate

GeoMoto

I finally received my bike two days ago and it’s time to accessorize. I am installing the Tusk Quiet Glide Skid Plate. The best bang for your buck in my opinion. The skid plate is $189. I will update this review as I use and abuse the skid plate. 
996B6683-C586-46CA-B7D4-52FB01DBE0CA.thumb.png.778a312149757c90cccd491693198c41.png

3FC709B5-A928-4ABE-93DB-F678B883A585.jpeg

00EA972C-7CBD-4A2C-867E-142929636389.jpeg

40A85647-9B9C-4D72-9472-E10032F2C7B4.jpeg

2B063388-A5BF-4995-9A2E-47A71915BA9A.jpeg

Edited by GeoMoto
Editing description
  • Like 6

I just got mine in as well. I opted to go without the linkage protection but seems easy enough to change later if I decide. 

57 minutes ago, BMRT7 said:

@GeoMoto got any pics of the skid mounted? 

my bike gets here this weekend. 

Not Yet, I sent my bike out for a new exhaust and won't get it back for another week. I have a pile of accessories just waiting to be installed. I will post pictures as soon as I get it back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 6:58 AM, gossmann1 said:

does this interfere with the center stand?

Also curious about this,  especially the linkage protection version...?

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just mounted the Tusk Quiet Glide skid plate. The price was right and it seems pretty rugged. Definitely way better than stock! Not sure I'm going to keep it though. What I don't like: 1) It doesn't come up very high in the front. Maybe about 3/4" higher than the top of the oil filter. 2) The fitment was a little off on the front right bolt. Not a huge deal but I expected the mating surfaces between the frame, spacer and skid plate to all be flush. In the picture I have it pretty tight and there is still a small gap. I could probably tighten it a little more and it would bend the skid plate in to fit. I'm not sure I want to keep it so I didn't do that.  3) The "plastic" linkage guard is material is only bent downward because it rubs on the linkage. Meaning that when you take the skid plate out of the package that "plastic" linkage protector extends straight along the bottom of the skid plate. When you mount it on the bike it gets bent down because it's rubbing on the linkage. Maybe I could pull down on it an put enough of a pre-bend on it so that it clears the linkage? Just doesn't seem like a great design.

I'm looking hard at the Camel ADV one. Expensive but seems rugged and great overall protection. (Including linkage!) I also like the additional support bracket in the center rear. Do any of the other manufacturers utilize an extra support bracket like Camel ADV?

20201105_130118_01.jpg

20201105_130144.jpg

20201105_130158.jpg

20201105_130256.jpg

20201105_130356.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 1:30 PM, jeff03064 said:

I also like the additional support bracket in the center rear. Do any of the other manufacturers utilize an extra support bracket like Camel ADV?

AXP has a center bracket to support "upward" hits from underneath, in the rear of the plate. Nice bash plate and fit well with excellent Water Pump coverage/protection. It also has link protection/guard too.

https://www.axp-racing.com/en/adventure/yamaha-700-tenere/

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Firebolter said:

AXP has a center bracket to support "upward" hits from underneath, in the rear of the plate. Nice bash plate and fit well with excellent Water Pump coverage/protection. It also has link protection/guard too.

https://www.axp-racing.com/en/adventure/yamaha-700-tenere/

I have a AXP on my 300!  Awesome skid plate.  The aluminum one I had on before wouldn't slide over the rocks, but would actually grip into them.  it was very noticeable in noise reduction too, aluminum plates are tingy/hollow sound that drives me nuts.

The linkage protection is the way to go, avoids hitting rock/logs, and glides up an over rather then hook. Also keeps majority of the mud from splashing on it.   

People say the plastic will deflect and damage the bike,,, but from I understand, Yamaha doesn't want the Tenere resting on the scissor jack/center stand, so how much "Impact" can the bike itself withstand when riding, no matter which plate is used.  

On 11/5/2020 at 1:30 PM, jeff03064 said:

I just mounted the Tusk Quiet Glide skid plate. The price was right and it seems pretty rugged. Definitely way better than stock! Not sure I'm going to keep it though. What I don't like: 1) It doesn't come up very high in the front. Maybe about 3/4" higher than the top of the oil filter. 2) The fitment was a little off on the front right bolt. Not a huge deal but I expected the mating surfaces between the frame, spacer and skid plate to all be flush. In the picture I have it pretty tight and there is still a small gap. I could probably tighten it a little more and it would bend the skid plate in to fit. I'm not sure I want to keep it so I didn't do that.  3) The "plastic" linkage guard is material is only bent downward because it rubs on the linkage. Meaning that when you take the skid plate out of the package that "plastic" linkage protector extends straight along the bottom of the skid plate. When you mount it on the bike it gets bent down because it's rubbing on the linkage. Maybe I could pull down on it an put enough of a pre-bend on it so that it clears the linkage? Just doesn't seem like a great design.

I'm looking hard at the Camel ADV one. Expensive but seems rugged and great overall protection. (Including linkage!) I also like the additional support bracket in the center rear. Do any of the other manufacturers utilize an extra support bracket like Camel ADV?

20201105_130118_01.jpg

20201105_130144.jpg

20201105_130158.jpg

20201105_130256.jpg

20201105_130356.jpg

Let me know if you decide to sell 🙂 

Just now, jeff03064 said:

I already sent it back to RMATV. Sorry.

no worries! what did they say about it when you told them it rubbed the linkage? I'm guessing it's not supposed to rub like that right?

19 hours ago, mr. projekt said:

no worries! what did they say about it when you told them it rubbed the linkage? I'm guessing it's not supposed to rub like that right?

Honestly, I didn't get into it too much with them. I just talked to someone via messaging on their website about the return and stated that it "didn't fit good" and left it at that. Probably would have been okay rubbing on the linkage but I wanted one that came up a little higher in the front.

makes sense. at 3/4" above the oil filter, you can still get branches or something down there and get a puncture.

For anyone thinking of getting the Tusk Quiet Glide skid plate from Rocky Mountain ATV make sure you REALLY want it before you order it. However, if you do order it, and get it, make sure you're going to keep it before you even mount it. I ordered one, mounted it, didn't like so I took it off and sent it back. (It was on the bike for like 15 minutes and never left the garage.) I paid $201.86 and was refunded $141.80 because it was "damaged".  About $7 for shipping (which I expected) and $53 for "damage".... to a skid plate. See the pics they sent me of said "damage". Hope to help someone else not make the same costly mistake I made. 

Side note.... I ended up going with the Camel ADV skid plate. A little more expensive but way sturdier, more coverage and better linkage protection.

20201120_115025_resized.20201120115703.jpg

20201120_115231_resized.20201120120047.jpg

20201120_114723_resized.20201120115914.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

For anyone looking at this skid plate, Tusk has redesigned the plastic to cover most of the front for the same price.  Everything else the OP said about the install still applies.  I used a heat gun to mold the linkage guard.  It's a keeper for me.

0411211934b.thumb.jpg.323f14fe4237dae79660f4745f54f2fd.jpg

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 5
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

• 1 year later...
On 4/13/2021 at 5:13 AM, BADDANDY said:

For anyone looking at this skid plate, Tusk has redesigned the plastic to cover most of the front for the same price.  Everything else the OP said about the install still applies.  I used a heat gun to mold the linkage guard.  It's a keeper for me.

0411211934b.thumb.jpg.323f14fe4237dae79660f4745f54f2fd.jpg

Do you still  have the Tusk skid plate and how has it held up a year on?

Still like new with 8,000 miles, 1/2 offroad.

• Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

• 2 weeks later...

Does the new version fit the Euro 5 exhaust? There seems to be a "cut out" in the top left area where the cat was moved to? Thanks!

Edited by LawJik

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know, mines a 2021.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i