Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Highway Dirt Bikes Handguards

papab

Well I started mounting the hand guards today as they just arrived! Only took 16 days for USPS. I purchased the ultimate kit- no bar end weights and stock bars and I am noticing things are a bit tight between the hand guards and mounting points. Is it normal to have a gap between the bar clamp and the pivots? Once I got everything lined up and the brake line rotated down I tighten things up and sucked in the . gap. Just seems like a lot of stress on the bar clamp. 

1 hour ago, Mr1Wilderness said:

Well I started mounting the hand guards today as they just arrived! Only took 16 days for USPS. I purchased the ultimate kit- no bar end weights and stock bars and I am noticing things are a bit tight between the hand guards and mounting points. Is it normal to have a gap between the bar clamp and the pivots? Once I got everything lined up and the brake line rotated down I tighten things up and sucked in the . gap. Just seems like a lot of stress on the bar clamp. 

Mine were snug. I assume you are using just one swivel? Some have stacked the long and short swivel together, using the shorty as a spacer. I just used the long swivels. Leave the bar end loose while you start and tighten the guard-to-swivel bolt and swivel-to-clamp bolts. You shouldn't have any gap at the clamp. When I spoke with Chad, he was considering making the swivels a few millimeters thicker on his next run to help loosen things up a touch. I also think you could just slide a washer in between the clamp and swivel. But it does work as-is. You could also open up the bar bend a little by clamping the short end in a vice and leveraging the long end. That will make the overall distance between the two mounting points a little longer, while reducing the radius around the lever a touch. I have a thread here somewhere of my install and you can see pics if you need to reference anything.

Thanks for the info! Actually I was thinking about putting a washer in between the clamp and the swivel but it’s so close I decided to try without. 

The other thing I’m not liking is my clutch cable which goes over the top of the swivel and it feels pretty tight I felt like if I were to run it underneath the handguard it would start to kink.

• Moderators

Following this closely as HDB guards are on my short list.  If the mounting issues could be documented in pictures,  it would help us visualize what you're up against.  Thanks.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I also ended up running my clutch cable under the hand guard also. 

I think as long as you know things are going to be tight your good. I am super happy about the setup. It looks very professional. Installing these were actually easer than the Cycra guards I put on the HONDA CB500X 

I highly recommend them.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2021 at 10:14 PM, Mr1Wilderness said:

I also ended up running my clutch cable under the hand guard also. 

I think as long as you know things are going to be tight your good. I am super happy about the setup. It looks very professional. Installing these were actually easer than the Cycra guards I put on the HONDA CB500X 

I highly recommend them.

Glad you finally got them! YES, they are a tight fit, but they fit perfect! Mine were like yours in that I had to get everything started then use the bolt to pull the gap in between the top clamp and the pivots, then I went and tightened everything down. These are the best guards around IMO. the fit and finish is precise and looks awesome!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wanted confirm that these work with OEM heated grips? Can anyone confirm?

3 minutes ago, Toei said:

@Firebolter Your setup looks super-slick!  You mentioned bar inserts - did you tap threads into an aftermarket bar?

The stock bars are threaded already, so when you remove the stock bar ends, Highway Dirtbike has the inserts to thread in. They also make a set up so if you want to run the bar end spacer you can, but I like my hand guards at the end of the bars and not spaced out wider. 

note, the stock Yamaha thread pattern in the bars is a weird non-standard pattern. I don’t remember what it is-

• Thanks 1

FYI, I think I have a spare set of HDB threaded T7 bar inserts if anyone wants them. I can ship them to you if you cover the shipping $5. PM me.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hoosier, I'm interested in the inserts, PM inbound.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@Firebolter I keep coming back to look at those Rottweiler mirrors.  They are super-trick!  Any issues with rattling, vibrating, not holding position, etc. when off-road?  Do you have sufficient hand clearance when they are folded in?

Edited by Toei

9 hours ago, Toei said:

@Firebolter I keep coming back to look at those Rottweiler mirrors.  They are super-trick!  Any issues with rattling, vibrating, not holding position, etc. when off-road?  Do you have sufficient hand clearance when they are folded in?

No they work great. Plenty of room for your hands when folded in. No vibration issues, the T7 is pretty smooth anyway. Rottweiller Mounts with CRG Arrow bar end mirrors.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50831426748_ea2ee5be73_k.jpg

Edited by Firebolter
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 6:42 PM, BMRT7 said:

They’re awesome. I have the dash as well. 

2F0046AE-968E-4E0A-8F9D-30050AC087B1.thumb.jpeg.7d0b244848e20145b640a7485c63af67.jpeg

Is that something they sell?

For those of you who have installed these without bar end weights, how much additional vibration are you getting in the grips?

8 hours ago, Toei said:

For those of you who have installed these without bar end weights, how much additional vibration are you getting in the grips?

I just got mine installed and I can attest that there is no difference i can feel in vibration without bar end weights. I was pleasantly surprised and it’s just a cleaner set up in the end. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Toei said:

none-rode in today with freeway speeds up to 90+ and smooth as silk. the T7 doesn't make alot of vibes anyway. You don't need the bar end weights.

Edited by Firebolter

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2021 at 8:44 PM, Toei said:

Running HDB on my T7 and no more vibration than what I was getting with the original setup. Also changed the bars over to ProTaper's Factory Suzuki/KTM bend.