Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New Tenere in Five Days

DRTom

Got the collection date for my Tenere. I can collect the thing in 5 days. Quite excited to be honest as I've never owned a brand new bike.

Is anyone able to tell me the average cost of the first service in the UK?

Also, I'm planning on getting the first 600 miles done is short order. Ie over a couple of days. Is this advisable? With the heating/ cooling cycles needed, prolonged running, etc. Or is it best done over a few days/weeks?

Thanks in advance. DAN

Edited by DRTom
  • Like 1

Hi DRTom,

Congratulations on your new T7!  I cannot help you on UK service cost, but the first service is fairly basic. A systems check (fasteners, lights, etc.) oil & filter change, synchronizing throttle bodies, check for fault codes. Not overly complex and no need for a valve clearance check. Cost should not be that high.

As for break in recommendations, Yamaha does ask that you keep it below 5,000 RPM for the first 600 miles, and then avoid prolonged operation above 6,000 rpm for the first 1,000 miles. There are many opinions out there on break in methods.

This F9 Video offers some sound advice.

Some may prefer the faster and more controversial “Motune” method.

New Engine Break In Procedure For Cars, Motorcycles, Motocross, Snowmobiles and Boats

I have used both methods successfully over the years, but your dealer would probably prefer the more conservative approach outlined in the manual. Postponing the use of fully synthetic oil until break in is complete is another consideration.

Enjoy your new T7, it is a great machine. To my surprise, mine arrived on time and without drama, less than $10,400 USD out the door. It is a lot of motorcycle for the money and IMHO can hold its own even without the cost considerations.

20200729_135247.jpg

• Like 2

Brilliant. Thanks for the advice. I'll have a watch of the vid later.

RyanF9s video on the Tenere was what made me take it for a test ride in the first place.

I was shocked to see the price of the thing when compared to other bikes in this class. I paid £9100 on the road which was well under most bikes, Yamaha/Triumph, in the showroom.

And to think, I was looking at the Royal Enfield Himalayan at the time......

I see you got the best colour too 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoThere@50 said:

Hi DRTom,

Congratulations on your new T7!  I cannot help you on UK service cost, but the first service is fairly basic. A systems check (fasteners, lights, etc.) oil & filter change, synchronizing throttle bodies, check for fault codes. Not overly complex and no need for a valve clearance check. Cost should not be that high.

As for break in recommendations, Yamaha does ask that you keep it below 5,000 RPM for the first 600 miles, and then avoid prolonged operation above 6,000 rpm for the first 1,000 miles. There are many opinions out there on break in methods.

This F9 Video offers some sound advice.

Some may prefer the faster and more controversial “Motune” method.

New Engine Break In Procedure For Cars, Motorcycles, Motocross, Snowmobiles and Boats

I have used both methods successfully over the years, but your dealer would probably prefer the more conservative approach outlined in the manual. Postponing the use of fully synthetic oil until break in is complete is another consideration.

Enjoy your new T7, it is a great machine. To my surprise, mine arrived on time and without drama, less than $10,400 USD out the door. It is a lot of motorcycle for the money and IMHO can hold its own even without the cost considerations.

20200729_135247.jpg

Another opinion on the matter. Language warning.

Yep me to. 140 but they did change the front sprocket to a 16 tooth for me. I bought it of flea bay.

• Like 1