Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Chain adjustment

SKIPNOMAD

Question

I just adjusted my chain to what I believe is correct and it seems like I can hear it more now.  The chain guard is shaped like a T.  It is about 1.75 in. to the bottom part of the T and about 1.9 in. to the under side of the T. Both axle indicators are the same on both sides.  My concern is that I don't want it  to be too tight. And the chain seems to make more noise now.  Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by SKIPNOMAD

4 answers to this question

I also find the chain spec in ghe manual to be very tight compared to other bikes.  I believe it, but it seems tight.  Yamaha says 43-48mm from the bottom guide sitting on the side stand i think.  It just feels tight to me.  I dont hear a ton of chain noise though.  Interested in what others experience.

• Like 1

I'm of the same feeling. Adjusted my chain the other day pushing on the chain as per the instructions & set it to the maximum tolerance of 48mm. Doesn't make any noise though especially with the chain guide being fitted.

Another blurry topic to me is that how much force I should apply on chain while measuring? That makes a huge change.. 

• Moderators

The theory is to adjust when the drive sprocket and rear wheel are at their farthest distance apart. Using this method on the T700 I find a little difference in measurement (looser)  vs using my Motion Pro tool. Conventional wisdom is too loose ( to a point) is better than too tight, so that's what I'm going with.

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS