Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) - Did you get it?

loneranger700

Has anyone bought the 4 year extended warranty offered by Yamaha? Why, or why not?

No. Cost.

I don't think I would need it. Now, if this were a European bike..... I think I would have. No, I know I would.

Edited by ahamay

No it’s a Yamaha and I’ve never had issues with their products in the past. 

I do not buy extended warranties on anything. 

• Like 2

Yes because I bought it to ride.

Extended warranties are kinda like insurance. If you don't have it you'll need it.

• Like 1

So those that ARE getting it, where is the cheapest you've found it?   I assume you can buy it from any Yamaha dealer?

• Moderators

Answer: No

Reason: Yamaha dependability.  Never needed any warranty work on my FJR or Rhino. More bucks for farkles.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I ended up getting it with a AAA discount at around $1k. It felt like a good idea at the time.

Now, still unsure as the engine is apparently super sturdy. Considering canceling the warranty within the 30-day window but I’m still on the fence.

Edit: 60 days if you live in California

Edited by loneranger700

• Premium Member

I have not made the decision yet,
Normally because its a japanese bike, chances are it will be just fine for 10-20 years. 

Only thing giving me slight pause is the headlight, we've only had 3 cases of a headlight failure, but its 3 more than I would have expected. 

Tazmool

• Like 2

With brand new release of anything technical there are always settling in issues but should be ironed out after 12 months or so.

I'm checking in with the guy I bought my YES plan for my Super T. Wanna say it was around $400 for the 4-year plan.

Well hell. I didn't know dealers get to set their own price to Y.E.S. My dealer hosed me with $1k. Knowing I could have haggled the warranty I definitely would have opted for a lower price.

Y'all hold on buying the YES plan until tomorrow or Friday. Might have a good deal to report back.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, slakdawg said:

Y'all hold on buying the YES plan until tomorrow or Friday. Might have a good deal to report back.

Interested

16 hours ago, Cruizin said:

They have been mass producing this engine since 2014, for the FZ/MT07. No issues . 

Yep talking about the bike in general. Should all be bloody good

Don’t forget this bike has been in Australia and Europe for three years so most issues are well worked out. And according to Fort Nine on you tube this engine is one of if not the most reliable engine made according to several European engineers. 

I'm only gonna list what I have used manufacturer warranties for in my last 15 years of buying new bikes. From all manufacturers

1. Temp gauge and odometer went out (new gauge cluster)

2. Swing arm chain guide thrown off (new swingarm)

3. Fuel pump whining (new fuel pump)

4. Gas cap key lock inoperable (new key set Whole bike)

5. Fried stator (new stator)

6. Weeping base gasket (motor torn down rebuilt)

Not mine but my brothers

7. Dropped an exhaust valve (new motor)

Chances are we won't need the extended warranty. I did all my wrenching on this bike adding accessories.

• Like 1

So looking at around $370 for the 4 year YES warranty extension. Plus tax if in NC (so right under $400). FL is out of luck with this dealer. This is current 2020 pricing. He's waiting for Yamaha to announce '21 pricing. But since got a year before you buy the extension, no rush. Will post contact info once he confirms.

This is same guy I bought my S10 4 year plan thru, so it's legit.

3 hours ago, slakdawg said:

So looking at around $370 for the 4 year YES warranty extension. Plus tax if in NC (so right under $400). FL is out of luck with this dealer. This is current 2020 pricing. He's waiting for Yamaha to announce '21 pricing. But since got a year before you buy the extension, no rush. Will post contact info once he confirms.

This is same guy I bought my S10 4 year plan thru, so it's legit.

Wait is this only for NC residents?

4 hours ago, loneranger700 said:

Wait is this only for NC residents?

No. All states except Florida. He said something about that he currently can't sell there. If you're in NC, then he has to charge sales tax in addition to plan price, since he's in NC. As soon as he confirms '21 pricing, I'll report back.

Yes. Mainly because its the first model year, resell value, and a bit of peace of mind.