Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) - Did you get it?

loneranger700

15 hours ago, slakdawg said:

No. All states except Florida. He said something about that he currently can't sell there. If you're in NC, then he has to charge sales tax in addition to plan price, since he's in NC. As soon as he confirms '21 pricing, I'll report back.

Ask them if you can post their contact info here. So anybody wanting to add it can. That's less than $100 per year well worth it if anything did quit working

2 hours ago, Fiddyone said:

Ask them if you can post their contact info here. So anybody wanting to add it can. That's less than $100 per year well worth it if anything did quit working

They already said I could. They were only waiting until they got confirmed Yamaha '21 pricing. 

On 8/7/2020 at 9:55 PM, slakdawg said:

They already said I could. They were only waiting until they got confirmed Yamaha '21 pricing. 

SO would this work if I cancel my currently expensive $1k price warranty and just reapply for warranty again? Because I would for sure want to get yes for a better price than what my crappy stealership charged me.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so here's the dealeo and contact details.

"Cost for 48 month plan for the T700 is $369.00 plus tax if in NC.  Can’t sell in FL"

E. T. Weaver

C.C.S., Inc YAMAHA of Jefferson

102 South Main St,

Jefferson, NC, 28640

Ph. 336-846-7744

Fax 336-846-5402

Email ccswei@skybest.com

• Like 1

Buying extended warranty is a numbers game. If I was buying a BMW and planning on keeping if longer than the factory warranty, I would most certainly purchase extended warranty as the rate of failure and the cost of repair is extremely high. Japanese products tend to be less risky and less costly to repair. In my almost 40 years of owning 62 exclusively Japanese manufactured (except 1 custom Ducati) motorcycles including the T7 (with 22 new ones), I've never had extended warranty, nor needed it, and I only purchase the minimum insurance package (maximum liability coverage mind you) that I can get. Reason being, the money I save on warranty/insurance, buys me a new (or another) bike sooner. Sure I could buy extended warranty for $399 or $1k or whatever and it would be cheap insurance if I need it, but the odds are strongly in my favor now.

If you plan on keeping the bike longer than the factory warranty and financed your bike, or just scraped together your last pennies to purchase the bike, or can't afford to repair it if something goes wrong, extended warranty might be a smart investment, but I'll stick to saving on the extra coverages to purchase another bike (or two).

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

8 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

Buying extended warranty is a numbers game. 

Cool story bro. Keep scrolling if you're not interested.

I am. So are others.

And BTW, my YES warranty for my 2014 Super Tenere paid for itself multiple times. Not only in dealer/Yamaha cost to fix warrantied issues. But also my personal time to diagnose and fix those issues myself.

And I'm pretty handy in the shop. This is a small price for a four year warranty. Take it or leave it.

Each to their own. Everyone has a different situation. Clearly you made the right choice. I've made the right choice for me. It all depends upon your risk tolerance. I had extended warranty on my 2006 BMW 3 series. In 2 years I racked up over $12k in bills on a $16K car. Extended warranty covered it. Wife was happy about that one. GMC Truck with 190,000 kms without extended warranty, and not a penny spent. Its all about risk, and risk tolerance. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

4 hours ago, slakdawg said:

Cool story bro. Keep scrolling if you're not interested.

I am. So are others.

And BTW, my YES warranty for my 2014 Super Tenere paid for itself multiple times. Not only in dealer/Yamaha cost to fix warrantied issues. But also my personal time to diagnose and fix those issues myself.

And I'm pretty handy in the shop. This is a small price for a four year warranty. Take it or leave it.

The OP was,

'Has anyone bought the 4 year extended warranty offered by Yamaha? Why, or why not?'

Canzvt was just expressing his 'why not' opinion  so no reason for him to keep scrolling.

Edited by Alan M
🙈
  • Like 3

when I bought the bike it was in March 2020, before COVID, the offer was 10,000 euros including 5 years warranty and first maintenance service.

I didn't want the extended warranty, but the deal started with 10500 without the extended warranty, and then the dealership dropped to 10,000.
At the moment I didn't want any accessories, he would have given me 50% discount so I asked him to include the guarantee and he accepted.
Better than nothing!

@Alan M You're correct.

@Canzvt My apologies. Was in a bit of mood when I responded last night. You did offer your experience and thoughts and that was another side of the coin the OP was asking about.

I would agree it is a numbers game. For me, at this price, it is worth the money for a total of 5 years of warranty given I do intend on owning it that long. However, if if I were to sell, the YES warranty is transferrable, so that would only be a selling point to potential buyers.

• Like 3

I'm probably going to call or e-mail E.T. next week but curious if anyone other than Rob has bought through them yet.   Getting the 600 mile service done plus a few other tweaks this weekend so need to see how much that bill will be first. 

On 8/4/2020 at 4:20 PM, slakdawg said:

I'll get it. Paid for itself couple times on my Super T.

Details of the problems?

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

• 7 months later...

I just had the dealer try to hard sell me on the 4 year extended warranty. He said he was going to be really competitive and do his best for me... He said retail was $1,499 and that he wanted to offer me a 50% discount for a grand total of $749. Thanks to this thread, I didn't take the bait. I declined his "generous offer" and called Yamaha.

The 4 years extended warranty on the T7 is $590. It can be added anytime before the 12 month warranty expires and you can purchase it directly from Yamaha. The warranty is also transferable in the case of a sale, which I think will make it more appealing to any potential buyers for their peace of mind.

At $600 for an additional 4 years of peace of mind on a ~$13,000 purchase, I'll bite.

Please, no matter what you do, don't let your sales guy rope you into a hard sell on the warranty. The service package you cannot purchase directly from Yamaha and has to be negotiated with the dealership however ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Excited to join in on the fun.

• Like 1

I had the YES warranty on my S10...I only used it for leaking fork seals at 17K. Yamaha waved the $100 deductible because they felt he seals should have lasted longer.  So if you factor in the $100 plus what I would have paid the dealer to replace both seals I probably broke even on the $400 I paid. I think I got it from the same NC dealer posted here. 

$369 is a reasonable price for a little peace of mind.....YMMV

I dont prefer to buy extra waranty, because when you need it, it will be out of waranty somehow. If this thing can work 1 year, it can continue working more when you dont do something bad for it.

If you do something bad, it will be out of waranty again 😄

• Like 1

purchased for $400.  $100 per year isn't too bad.  Figure if I do sell it, it will be a peace of mind for the buyer.

Does anyone know if you can buy it after the fact? My bike was bought in December. 

You have until the included Yamaha warranty expires too buy the extended. So you should have till November if you bought this past December. 

I actually looked at it when I got an email asking if I want to get it. But after reading the fine print and how it covers, "manufacture" defects, I figured it would be a pain to fight to prove it was a defect and not my doing or wear and tear. I assume after a year, they would say it's not their probelm.

Plus, I am hoping any manufacture defect would happen within the first year.

So, no, I didnt get it. I had it on my super tenere but never used it.

10 hours ago, Dakota said:

Does anyone know if you can buy it after the fact? My bike was bought in December. 

You'll get offers from Yamaha approx 6-9months after the sale.  I got mine in July and started getting YESS offer letters in Jan or Feb...emails too.  Finally bought for the $549 through Yamaha.

J

@Dakota

You can purchase it as long as your original warranty has not expired.

Spending on an extended warranty is paying in advance for repairs on a bike that has not yet malfunctioned.  You are gambling that enough covered components on the bike will fail and the repairs of those failures will cost more than the price of the warranty.  The underwriting company is gambling that they will not.  Keep in mind, besides paying for repairs from that premium, they have to cover their administrative costs as well as commissions paid to the salesman or dealership.  So they figure their outlay will be considerably less than the cost of the policy.  They make lots of money on these warranties. It's big business.  That's why you are offered one on almost any mechanical or electronic product you buy. 

If you need it for "peace of mind" that's fine but more often than not you are better off with that money in the bank waiting for a repair that may never be needed.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 4:01 PM, jdk2man said:

I actually looked at it when I got an email asking if I want to get it. But after reading the fine print and how it covers, "manufacture" defects, I figured it would be a pain to fight to prove it was a defect and not my doing or wear and tear. I assume after a year, they would say it's not their probelm.

Plus, I am hoping any manufacture defect would happen within the first year.

So, no, I didnt get it. I had it on my super tenere but never used it.

You are covered under most state consumer laws for mfg defects so you don’t need a “warranty” for that.  

Most mfg warranties are a “limited warranty” where you sign away your consumer rights under state law.   Signing a limiting warranty contractually excuses the mfg from covering what he is obligated by law to cover.

It limits your legal consumer rights to whatever the “limited warranty” says it will cover for the length of time it says it will cover it.  The limited warranty length of time is usually always less than the time they are required to cover under state law.

Some  mfgs won’t sell you the product unless you sign the warranty giving up your consumer rights.  Never sign a warranty card after purchase.

I worked in a Yamaha dealership 30 years a go, we made more money selling a warranty than on the bike or atv’s

• Like 1

I have only bought extended warranties on a couple vehicles. I ended up using both.  Was never denied the repairs and everything went smoothly. I think as long as you stick with the manufacturers extended warranty you should be okay. It is a gamble, at $369 that's kind a short money for peace of mind but everyone is different. I figure any out of warranty repair on these bikes is going to cost more than that at the dealer.  Extended warranties are huge money makers. My dad wrote a whole book on making money through service contracts LOL. 

Bottom line is if you are not the type to do your own repair work, the warranty may be worth it. YMMV