Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Need to improve my rear suspension - any recommendations, advice ?

AnonymousGeorge

Also worth adding is that there is a lot of stiction on the front forks ,the most accurate way to measure front sag is to take the average of two measurements 

1  the fork compressed and allowed to return up on its own

2  fork extended and allowed to settle on its own.

take a measurement of these two and average it.🏁

Edited by Gary b

spacer.pngspacer.pngRef the rear suspension, I bought myself an Xmas present so got the Rally Raid Adventure rear shock ,the one with the adjustable pre load .

already got the RR front open cartridge kit which has made a significant difference.

6CF82475-BC83-4844-927C-C182293D7793.png

774C61B7-B12F-4B62-8373-D95555F459F3.png

Edited by Matth

• 2 weeks later...

do we have any other option for fork PreLoad spacers besides Rally Raid ( Back ordered ). ?? Even a make it yourself option .. 

10 hours ago, Gary Dirt said:

do we have any other option for fork PreLoad spacers besides Rally Raid ( Back ordered ). ?? Even a make it yourself option .. 

You have Andreani cartridges for 500€ which improve stock fork and ads preload adjustment. 

10 hours ago, Gary Dirt said:

KTeck has springs for diferent weights and replacement valves.

HyperPro also offers progressive springs. 

Touratech has cartriges and springs (hyperpro ones i think).

11 hours ago, Gary Dirt said:

The plastic Preload Spacers will be back in stock next week from Rally Raid

And RaceTech has springs too. I used the RR on the back on these on the front.

50816755228_64e98a4e6e_k.jpg

Edited by Firebolter

I just installed a 95N/mm rear spring and 20mm lowering links. With the lowering links, that should mean I have 180mm of travel, right? And therefore I am looking for about 18mm static sag and 54mm rider sag?

Also, the plastic spacers that came with mine were not labeled. The RR video said to put the thin one up top and the thicker one on bottom, so I did. But the lower spacer that came with the spring was noticeably thicker than the one in the RR video. Thoughts @Ktmmitch?

Edited by BLZ2DWL

1 hour ago, BLZ2DWL said:

I just installed a 95N/mm rear spring and 20mm lowering links. With the lowering links, that should mean I have 180mm of travel, right? And therefore I am looking for about 18mm static sag and 54mm rider sag?

Also, the plastic spacers that came with mine were not labeled. The RR video said to put the thin one up top and the thicker one on bottom, so I did. But the lower spacer that came with the spring was noticeably thicker than the one in the RR video. Thoughts @Ktmmitch?

Although you have fitted the lowering links the travel is still the same 200 mm, it's not until the tyre  touches the underside of the rear mud guard with the 40 mm lowering links that it restricts travel. So stick to 20/60mm sag.

In the video we used a thinner spacer but we have now changed to a thicker plastic spacer to get the correct sag 

6 hours ago, Firebolter said:

And RaceTech has springs too. I used the RR on the back on these on the front.

50816755228_64e98a4e6e_k.jpg

I haven't used Race Tech before. Are you happy with the setup? 

3 hours ago, Ktmmitch said:

Although you have fitted the lowering links the travel is still the same 200 mm, it's not until the tyre  touches the underside of the rear mud guard with the 40 mm lowering links that it restricts travel. So stick to 20/60mm sag.

In the video we used a thinner spacer but we have now changed to a thicker plastic spacer to get the correct sag 

Thanks! Sag is perfect with 8 clicks. Looking forward to riding when the snow melts. 

On 1/4/2021 at 6:21 PM, Gary Dirt said:

For a make it yourself there are a bunch of options.  Buy a 4mm teflon sheet from McMaster Carr and cut out with scissors.  You could ask someone with a set to measure theirs.  Actually I just did...they're 26.3mmID x 38mmOD.  Pick your desired thickness.

Try TAP plastics.  They cut HDPE sheets by CNC.  Maybe they'd cut you some spacers.

1" PVC Schedule 80 pipe.  ID is almost spot on.  OD is a tad narrow but for testing may work.  Just cut the thickness you need.

Get a gasket cutting kit $$$$$  You assemble the ID and OD cutting heads and stamp the spacer out of your material of choice.  I've done up to 8mm Teflon sheet in the field with a 3lb sledge.  Thicker than that you need a small arbor press.

guaax1352.jpg

31 PIECE METRIC HOLLOW PUNCH KIT. Shop Guardair 31 PIECE METRIC HOLLOW PUNCH KIT at Tool Discounter

J

5 hours ago, BLZ2DWL said:

Lowering links won't change how much travel you have, they just lower the static height of the suspension.  SO your travel limit will be how far the wheel actually can move UP : limited by the shock and or contact with hard parts.  Theoretically if you lower it too much you can have the tire trying to munch your rear fender under the subframe.

That said, I would place good money on the fact that MFGs are not selling lowering links that allow for wheel to hard part contact.

On rising rate linkages like ours Longer links mean lower suspension height.  They also in crease a bit the leverage the bike has to overpower the suspension.  SO by simply adding lowering links you are effectively lowering the spring's strength.  Some people will notice this most will not.  But a 95nm spring with stock linkages will be effectively stronger than a 95nm spring on a lowerd suspension ( lowerd by using longer linkages).

J

Edited by Goldentaco

20 hours ago, HucknChuck said:

I haven't used Race Tech before. Are you happy with the setup? 

Yes, I have used them before in other dirtbikes. I took my bike to my friend who also is my TM dealer (and a racetech and rekluse dealer) and had him do the front, back and drop in my rekluse while he had it. I've installed my other ones, pretty easy, but while it was there, I figured just have him do it and I'm lazy!

I know he started with XXmm of shims ontop of the springs as recommended by Racetech for my weight and riding style I asked to be set up for. I forgot to ask him specifically what the shim thickness is, but, I'll ride it for a week or two and go back up and he'll measure and help me set final sag and such in full gear.

So far, I like them. Front is not as soft and feels way better on small stuff. Rear is a huge improvement. Happy so far--

• 2 months later...

I have got a 95nm rear spring fitted, stock links compression and rebound damping at standard settings

due to this currant covid lockdown I have not been able to get out on the bike to try it out.

Rally raid told me to back the pre-load off to 1-2 clicks for normal riding increase to 4 clicks for luggage they also said I might have to increase rebound damping 2-4 clicks.

I am 118 kg in riding gear and will carry approx 30 kg camping gear, what do you think?  

Edited by Mapbook

what surprises me a bit is the fact that if I recall, when I measure my front racing sag it was right under 60mm and the rear is at 65mm with preload almost cranked up to the max. I am around 113kg without my riding gear. I will switch out my rear spring to a 95nm but curious as to what others have in terms of front sag and how they have adjusted it. I don't know if I measure it properly although I think I did.

8 hours ago, Denis said:

what surprises me a bit is the fact that if I recall, when I measure my front racing sag it was right under 60mm and the rear is at 65mm with preload almost cranked up to the max. I am around 113kg without my riding gear. I will switch out my rear spring to a 95nm but curious as to what others have in terms of front sag and how they have adjusted it. I don't know if I measure it properly although I think I did.

Don't worry too much about front sag until you get the rear set correctly, as a stiffer rear spring will automatically transfer more weight to the front forks.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 3/15/2021 at 8:26 PM, Mapbook said:

I have got a 95nm rear spring fitted, stock links compression and rebound damping at standard settings

due to this currant covid lockdown I have not been able to get out on the bike to try it out.

Rally raid told me to back the pre-load off to 1-2 clicks for normal riding increase to 4 clicks for luggage they also said I might have to increase rebound damping 2-4 clicks.

I am 118 kg in riding gear and will carry approx 30 kg camping gear, what do you think?  

Should be all good.