Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Battery problems

T7lee

Anyone else had issues with their battery? 

Bike was garaged for four days & was dead this morning. 

• Premium Member

Seems odd, are you sure you did not accidentally leave something on?   
A fully discharged battery starts sulfating very quickly, recharge it asap, check its capacity too if you can, do a load test etc. 

Tazmool

Most probable cause is putting the key in the P instead of the locked position. This will drain the battery slowly as you described (easy check is to press the hazard light button - these will NOT come on the the off/locked positions. If they come on, change the key position from P to locked or off).

Alternative could be a bad battery. Chances of that are lower, but it's not impossible.

Anything else hooked up to the battery?

Edited by WalterT
Typo and autocorrection correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had numerous faulty batteries over the years, makes you think that you have an mystery electric problem. Wasting your time looking for an issue that doesn't exist, just a faulty battery! 

Also I have been known to leave the key position in the P (park light on) position. 😖

Bad battery is so easily come by nowadays...

that being said, did the dealer fully charged your battery the first time before putting it in the bike?... This happens more often than not and having dealer assuming the battery comes fully charge...

3 hours ago, T7lee said:

Yes, battery lasted 3 months. Then would not hold any charge anymore. GT Motorcycles replaced it under guarantee. 

Mupp

Thanks for the replies, no bike was in lock position not off position, only thing different between garage intervals was the fitting of a tracker but i have multiple electronics on my 09sp & that has gone two weeks without use which still sat at 12.7v on start up. 

Same batteries i think not looked yet, its going to the dealer for its forst service next week so will get them to check the tracker installation if all is good then its a friday afternoon battery is my best guess. 

21 hours ago, T7lee said:

Yamaha and their parking light? I went through at least 3 or 4 lithium batteries on another bike because their parking light is just one click past steering lock. I hear its common with many brands I cant stand it. Who uses their parking light anyway? Or is it some stupid Japanese regulatory requirement?

On my tenere I can't see anything being turned on either.

Whilst we're on the subject my Oxford grips cause issues with this.

I had this problem too with mine after fitting heated grips. Garage fitted them the same way they do all others but for some reason the battery was still draining. We changed the electrics around so power only goes to the grips when the engine is turning over. No more battery issues 

• 4 weeks later...

So problems still persist, had a wire change for a step down transformer from 12v to 5v from live to swithced live and repeated the 4 days no use. 

Battery drained to 4.9v, with the bike off in parked mode & 100% check no indicators still running i am seeing a fluctuating 2.3-3.3A draw. 

Only things active will be a datatool tracker which shouldn't be pulling more than 0.2-0.3A & the factory immobiliser. 

Any ideas welcome. 

Edited by T7lee

Ah there lies your problem. Datatool or Trakking are well known to kill batteries after a week as mine did on two separate bikes. I refused to have them fitted after that.

that current draw is too much and way more than datatool say it should be so as im lead to believe they altered it ( trackking)  to fix the problem again but still persistent 

Yeah i think I'm resound to the fact it's the datatool, think they 10 years behind with the key fob thing. 

Will ask the dealer to remove it & refund then fit a biketrack unit instead, have one on my SP09 & so far never been an issue. 

Also datatool have failed to contact me twice when the battery has died which must have flaggged up on their system as being disconnected so not a lot of confidence in them to be honest. 

Edited by T7lee

• 3 weeks later...

So it turns out it was the data tool tracker.

just an fyi if you find yourself in a similar position where there is a pull of 2.8 to 3.3A & you're unable to find the problem it was resolved by data tool doing a remote update of the tracker settings. 

It turns out the tracker was constantly searching for a satellite signal even though it was connected and the ping was accurate.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/8/2020 at 7:12 PM, Jason said:

I had this problem too with mine after fitting heated grips. Garage fitted them the same way they do all others but for some reason the battery was still draining. We changed the electrics around so power only goes to the grips when the engine is turning over. No more battery issues 

How did you reword it? I ask as I found the same problem for the first time today just as I was about to head off for an adventure.

11 hours ago, LeighA said:

How did you reword it? I ask as I found the same problem for the first time today just as I was about to head off for an adventure.

Rewired it so the grips wouldn’t get any power without the engine turning over. 

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Rewired it so the grips wouldn’t get any power without the engine turning over. 

Did you rewire it to one of the available ports behind the tank fairings (left or right) or some other way? I’m trying to identify and an alternative to the Oxford advertised method. Thanks I’m advance.

2 hours ago, LeighA said:

Did you rewire it to one of the available ports behind the tank fairings (left or right) or some other way? I’m trying to identify and an alternative to the Oxford advertised method. Thanks I’m advance.

That is what I did.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LeighA said:

Yep just rewired to one of the available ports 👌🏼 Never had a problem after that.