Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Annoying Clutch cover

Dominic

Odd old thread.  I just went and sat on my bike, the clutch cover is well above my foot and well forward of my shin, I can't imagine what the problem was?   Might as well complain about the instrument cluster banging you in the chin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, winddown said:

Odd old thread.  I just went and sat on my bike, the clutch cover is well above my foot and well forward of my shin, I can't imagine what the problem was?   Might as well complain about the instrument cluster banging you in the chin.

Ik think he meant the clutch lever cover but taking that one off doesn't really make a difference.

cover.jpg.356a805803f39c1ac7e64c78efad152a.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 9:21 PM, Dominic said:

So i have watched a million YouTube vids and read a load of high tech reviews and almost nobody has talked in depth about how annoying the clutch cover is

....I wonder why?

(I'm with the nobody's)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

Me too. No worries. I wonder though if it’s how big people’s ankles are, including a thick motorcross boot? I would move my feet out a little if it did. 
probably a few of us on here who could complain about the tank hitting the beer belly. 🍺😂

Edited by Dougie
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dougie said:

Me too. No worries. I wonder though if it’s how big people’s ankles are, including a thick motorcross boot? I would move my feet out a little if it did. 

No front, but how in the world could an elephant ride a T7? 😁

• Haha 2

On 8/9/2020 at 1:30 AM, Combo said:

I removed mine the day I received the bike and after the first ride. I haven't thought about it since.🙂

Is it possible to burn/damage from heat my pants in any way without it?

This is the clutch arm cover on the motor that I removed. Should cause no damage to your gear. Wearing adventure riding boots you will feel no heat but without it gets hot on your calf of your leg if you ride with your leg against it.

2 minutes ago, Combo said:

This is the clutch arm cover on the motor that I removed. Should cause no damage to your gear. Wearing adventure riding boots you will feel no heat but without it gets hot on your calf of your leg if you ride with your leg against it.

My pants go over my adventure boots. Maybe they will melt or burn or stain?

It’s not that hot. I wear just regular cotton pants when I ride to work, it’s no problem.

22 hours ago, Dougie said:

I was on the bike for 4 hours today and boy was I glad I installed bigger pegs.  I got the aussie pivot pegs and I remember when I first installed them, the weird feeling when they move back and forward as many note.  Thing is after all this time I don't even notice them moving when I stand.  But now I notice a whine from the (stock) rear tire when traveling on the tarmac at speed, never noticed that before?  It's only when going straight, cornering it's quiet.  It really bugged me by the end of the ride too, even with good earplugs.  A whoop Whoop Whoop oscillation sound.  4000k on the tire.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, winddown said:

I was on the bike for 4 hours today and boy was I glad I installed bigger pegs.  I got the aussie pivot pegs and I remember when I first installed them, the weird feeling when they move back and forward as many note.  Thing is after all this time I don't even notice them moving when I stand.  But now I notice a whine from the (stock) rear tire when traveling on the tarmac at speed, never noticed that before?  It's only when going straight, cornering it's quiet.  It really bugged me by the end of the ride too, even with good earplugs.  A whoop Whoop Whoop oscillation sound.  4000k on the tire.

Yeah think I might try those pegs. 👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, winddown said:

+1 for the pivot pegz - especially since they help me finding a more comfy position for my knees.

• Like 1

One thing about the bigger pegs I found is that your foot can get 'lost' in the vast open spaces.  More than once after 20 minutes or so of boring highway travel I had gone for the gear shifter or brake and found it wasn't where it should be 😙   I had been moving my feet around here and there for comfort and lost the correct position for the controls.  I found in such instances it was easiest to just lift my feet and drop them again as they invariably came down in the right place.  Trying to wiggle a foot across those spikes in near impossible. 

The pivots work particularly well with the new StegPegz I installed too.  When my foot is correctly positioned for their use, on the ball of the foot, the peg rocks back and my leg is locked against them.  Those stegpegs help a lot but they aren't the be all end all I though they would be.  My upper body is still pushed back at 100km/h and the advantage of them is diminished a fair bit.  In other words I feel a lot of tension in my arms.  At lower speeds though, 70km/h or less, they really make a difference and I would imagine going up a steep gnarly section (such as I avoid) they would be a total game changer.

• Like 2

I just went for another 100 + mile ADV ride.  That's three rides in the past two weeks.  Today's ride was 187.50 miles.  On all these rides, the clutch cover does not bother me one bit.  I'm not sure why not.

The only thing that bothers me is the wind buffeting and the OE front tire in pea gravel and both OE tires in muddy snow.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, r1superstar said:

I just went for another 100 + mile ADV ride.  That's three rides in the past two weeks.  Today's ride was 187.50 miles.  On all these rides, the clutch cover does not bother me one bit.  I'm not sure why not.

'praps it's just 'cos you're...well....erm...normal?:027:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

I ride enduro bikes.  The one really nice thing about the T7 is that it is very narrow down low.  Never bothered me at all.  Maybe the scuff marks, but I didn't buy it to keep it pretty for a resell.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 3/21/2023 at 3:06 PM, wb22rules said:

I noticed it at first, but once I replaced the pegs with larger and wider pegs I no longer notice it.

Same here. I put the Touratech pegs on mine and was pleasantly surprised much difference they made to how the bike felt in general, in addition to clearancing my leg off the clutch guard!

Boano sell a spacer kit to set the footpeg mounts further out which I can image would also work. Expensive for what they are though.

Kit pedana per Yamaha T7, il kit fa si che la staffa freno e pedana poggia piede, sia spostata verso l'esterno di 15 mm, favorendo l'uso del f...

Or you can do the Pol Tarres clutch cover mod and just move it out of the way completely!:

T7ClutchMod.jpg.fb745bdb5140509f351cb66a7396eef9.jpg

• 1 month later...

I never noticed it, either before or after I went to pivot pegz.  Must be an issue for people with odd legs or twisted feet bones.  Perhaps corrective surgery is in order 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I never even thought about removing it, but it was one of the first 'weird' things I noticed about the bike.  My right foot hits that cover quite a lot.. just sort of used to it now though.    A new clutch cover that rotates the arm forward as listed above would sell like hotcakes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 1:36 PM, CReamflourish said:

Same here. I put the Touratech pegs on mine and was pleasantly surprised much difference they made to how the bike felt in general, in addition to clearancing my leg off the clutch guard!

Boano sell a spacer kit to set the footpeg mounts further out which I can image would also work. Expensive for what they are though.

Kit pedana per Yamaha T7, il kit fa si che la staffa freno e pedana poggia piede, sia spostata verso l'esterno di 15 mm, favorendo l'uso del f...

Or you can do the Pol Tarres clutch cover mod and just move it out of the way completely!:

T7ClutchMod.jpg.fb745bdb5140509f351cb66a7396eef9.jpg

Hey! You have any more details on Pol's mod? I wonder if it is off some other bike model - or if they just cut the center out, rotated it and rewelded

Edited by 712moto

• 1 month later...

Seems they made a special two-piece cover. It looks like it might be slimmer, but cant tell from the pictures.

GYTR Clutch Cover kit: GYT-E5100-00-00

Pricy (about 2000EUR), but I’d actually still consider it if I knew it solved the issue.

A much cheaper solution is to move the foot just a little more backwards. When you drive while standing the position of your feet should be more to the tip instead of the heel. Do that while seated you'll exercise it and you can stand up immediately without moving your feet to the right position. Once you got used to it it's more comfortable.

On my first testride on the T7 I recognized the clutch cover and moved my foot as described. Reminded me of my time when I did som MX competition decades back in the last milennium 😉 Use your feet as additional spring & damper.

Edited by Ede-DE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ede-DE said:

A much cheaper solution is to move the foot just a little more backwards. When you drive while standing the position of your feet should be more to the tip instead of the heel. Do that while seated you'll exercise it and you can stand up immediately without moving your feet to the right position. Once you got used to it it's more comfortable.

On my first testride on the T7 I recognized the clutch cover and moved my foot as described. Reminded me of my time when I did som MX competition decades back in the last milennium 😉 Use your feet as additional spring & damper.

Exactly - standing on the balls of your feet/front foot is regarded the best technique as far as I know (although it's more exhausting, so I only switch to it in technical terrain). And the same is true for seated riding, if you believe experienced riders like Bernt Spiegel (famous German motorcycle book author). I meanwhile find it very comfortable as well!