Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

(Update: solved) Yamaha Genuine accessory LED indicator/blinker issue.

FredBasset

Update: Ā Dealer has now told me, you must only use one resistor per side, so although you get 4 in the front and rear LED kit, only use two!Ā šŸ¤”Ā šŸ„ŗ

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I fitted the Genuine Yamaha accessory LED indicators (blinkers), as my dealer forgot to install them on my T7 Rally Edition. Thought it would be a simple plug and play job, but hasnā€™t been the case.Ā 

Ā 

I have a weird issue with the indicators now. I used all 4 of the connect blocks in the below photoĀ (donā€™t know what they are called), one per indicator, as per the instructions. The issue is, when the ignition is on, but engine is not running, the indicators and hazard indicatorsĀ work fine, but if the engine is running, the indicators will work ok, but if I turn on the hazard indicators, thenĀ neither the hazards or the indicators work! If I wait a while, the indicators will work again, but if I again hit the hazard indicator button, the same thing happens again!Ā 

Ā 

Most odd, anybody have any suggestions.Ā 

8F7F3B0B-E948-4CF1-9149-AC451DA0E7E9.jpeg

Edited by FredBasset
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Just a guess, possibly you might need to change out the flasher unit. Might be overheating, causing the issue or it may not be compatible with Led lights. It came with incandescent turn signals, correct?

Ā 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

It did come with the incandescent turn signals, but the Genuine LED Yamaha part signal (indicators), are the onesĀ that are fitted to the Rally Edition. I will get the dealer to look at it an Friday, when it goes in for it first service, but I was hoping to it might be something that I could fix, as I have to get 600 miles on the clock, for that service.Ā 

• Supporting Vendor

If you have LEDs front and rear, ditch the resistors and install an LED flasher instead. Much cleaner wiring and more reliable. The flasher unit is $15 on Amazon.

Ā 

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike.Ā Camel-ADV.com

1 hour ago, Camel ADV said:

If you have LEDs front and rear, ditch the resistors and install an LED flasher instead. Much cleaner wiring and more reliable. The flasher unit is $15 on Amazon.

Ā 

Thanks for your comments, when you say ā€œditch the resistors and install an LED flasher insteadā€, do you mean LED flasher relay?

• Supporting Vendor
20 hours ago, FredBasset said:

Thanks for your comments, when you say ā€œditch the resistors and install an LED flasher insteadā€, do you mean LED flasher relay?

Yes, that's exactly right. With it, you can run the LED signals without using resistors and you won't get the "hyper-flash".

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike.Ā Camel-ADV.com

Nice and polite: " My dealer forgot to install..." My dealer told me that there is a warning from the Yamaha representatives to ask for enough money to install the flasher. They talk about approx. 1.5 hours!

Edited by svebes

Update:

Ā 

Spoke with dealer, they say only fit one resistor per side, so donā€™t fit all 4, only 2 needed!Ā šŸ¤”Ā šŸ„ŗ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have exact the same problem only difference that there is no difference if the motor is running or not.Ā 

When pushing the hazard button, one blink and everything is dead for approx. 10 sec. After that the turn signals will work again until pressing hazard button.

Did you remove unnecessary resistor from both side and did it work fine after?

Hi Riff, basically only one resistor per side, so you can have either at the front or rear, but only one per side, I solved my issue. Hope that helps Riff.Ā 

• Like 1

Managed to remove one pair of resitors (took off the front ones) and it works like charm. As FredBasset suggested, no problem with hazard light anymore.

Is it possible to just change thee relay? I wonder why Yamaha don't do it this way, I was told that you had to add the resistors to stop the hyperflash.

I would be happy to remove the resistors on mine and swap out the flasher relay.

Oyley, yes you can do this if you wish. Hereā€™s a video on how to do it, from Walter Sprang. šŸ‘

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2