Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Inconsistent fuel gauge.

Allen Kelly

Here is a problem my bike has developed that has me wondering whether anyone else has experienced the same abnormality. I got on my bike and immediately checked the fuel, I had 3 bars. Plenty for what I was going to do I travelled 10klm and all of a sudden I only had 1 bar and it was flashing. This is not the first time this has happened but it puts a doubt in my mind about how much fuel is actually in the tank. I am now taking to opening the cap and checking before heading out. Cheers all.   

Mine is ok so far. Ive had it on other bikes over the years and resigned myself to the fact that they will never get this working how most of us would really like so got into the habit of setting one of the trip meters to zero at every fill up. Reluctanly at first but it becomes a habit.

Fuel gauge on this bike has a character , that is how I look at it and I am not bothered as I know 140 miles gets me to reserve on most tanks.

And you could get 180 if you baby the bike , I don't and I am averaging 48 mpg, this is my bike for having fun 😄 

Reset the trip meter 1 or 2 when fueling up.  Ignore the gauge.  Far more accurate!

• Like 1

Resetting the trip is a habit I do on all my rides - 2 or 4 wheels. With the T7, I can expect 240-250kms before the light on the highway and about 280-300kms on the tight trails. Don't really care what the gauge says most of the time. Same process with my S10, FZ10, GTS, WR, etc...

I think I have Yamaha disease...

It might have a characterful fuel gauge, but its also dame fuel efficient, I’m getting 70+ mpg. 😁👍

Edited by FredBasset

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Gekkdroid said:

Reset the trip meter 1 or 2 when fueling up.  Ignore the gauge.  Far more accurate!

Most probably but lets see how well you ignore it when you've went 30-40 miles of it flashing and you're 30 miles from the nearest filling station.

Bike fuel gauges are very fickled  things, but you think about it and they almost have to be.

Trying to give you a liquid level on a tank that is not only leaning but is subject to positive and negative G-forces sometimes all of the above, multiple times within a fraction of a minute.

Because of these conditions most bike gauges are far from instantaneous readings. Some only take a reading every so often, some only take readings every so often and than average several readings together. 

As a rule of thumb, consider the reading of your gauge as a educated guess, and when you look at what passes for education today, that's not saying much.

If you have been riding down a flat, straight road at a steady speed for a while your gauge might give you some pertinent information.

If you had the ignition on and the bike on a side stand for any time, you probably don't want to trust the gauge.

All in all you have to be very attentive to your bikes fuel gauge until you have gotten to know each other, develop a relationship. But remember it's fickled, and you should know that you can't trust a relationship with someone that is that unstable. This misplaced trust will only result in pain and suffering.

My T7 from birth has averaged 59.8 MPG and it has 2289 mi. on it with it is safe to say more than 90% of those miles being off-road.

When the fuel gauge starts flashing I have 1.1 to 1.2 gals. left in the tank.

All but one or two tank fulls have been with non-ethanol fuel.