Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

My answer to the centerstand

roy826

No way was I adding 10-11 lbs for one hanging underneath my bike. Not buying one goes totally against my thought process of the past in a new ADV bike. The T7 is a different animal all together so I am going in a T7 direction that Any added weight is weight no matter how you justify it. 

So I ordered one of these today. It comes highly recommended on ADVrider to the tune of 59 pages of praise in one thread. It will fit under my seat, I have the rally seat. But it’ll fit under the main part of the regular seat of slightly stuffed along either subframe rail through the little hole on each side just secure it with a rubber or Velcro strap. Disassemble the thing and store the small pieces in your tool bag. My main tools reside under the rally seat strapped to the seat button by the provided straps. 

Reasonably priced and effective and weighs ounces compared to a 10-11 lb centerstand. FWIW I’ve already had a rear flat on the T7 6 miles from my house. I won’t be attempting a roadside repair that close to my house. I’ll go get my truck and trailer like I did. Any further out I have options such as AMA roadside or just fix it. I do tote tubes and tools. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hey Roy...thanks for the heads up. Small/medium enduro bike = no brainer. Wondering if this is sturdy enough to inspire confidence in holding up a 200+ Kg (without the centre stand..:-)) bike while you're easing the rear tyre out? Would appreciate hearing your experiences when your unit arrives.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Good call Roy.  I've had an Enduro Star stand in my tool roll for many years, luckily I've only used it at home trying it out. Great design and very compact.

Here's my answer to a centerstand. Yeah, taking it on the trail might present some challenges,  but at least the color is close!

20200813_112855.jpg

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Yeah at home I use a pad lift rear stand or roll it up on my Handy 1000 bike lift pinch the front or rear wheel depending on bike direction and just jack it up to lift a wheel or use the pad lift rear stand. 

2 hours ago, CAJW said:

20200813_112855.jpg

There appears to be a spec of dirt or lint at about 9 o'clock, to the left and in line with your kickstand. You've really let the place go, buddy. 

• Haha 2

• Moderators

Oh Shet! I'm headed out to the Man cave right now to clean that up. Sorry.... it'll never happen again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Sweet little gadget arrived today. Works outstanding! Love it. Fit perfectly strapped down under my tools in the storage compartment on the bottom of the Rally seat. 

Very sturdy and stable. Did not try front wheel off the ground but it should be easy hooked into a hole on the front of the ACD skidplate. 

7D2E15E1-2CF4-45D6-BFA5-6F6640C1C1B4.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Treps said:

@roy826 great to see it in use. I will now not get a centre stand. Which bashplate is this? Outback Motortek? 

ACD sold on this forum. Solid piece. 

• Thanks 1

I carry the Bikemaster expandable stand........weighs a couple of pounds.

Handy and convenient to carry; perfect for street, dual sport and trail use. Liftstick includes non-slip rubber boots, which protect your motorcycle’s swingarm from any scratches while claws at the base provide traction and stability during use.

Had a center stand on my KLR 650 for years and only used it for chain maintenance and tire changes. Never had a flat on the road. So with my T7 I decided no monster metal center stand. Why drag the weight around?

So after very intensive scientific and rigorous "modeling" and testing I have designed the lightest center stand ever and it is strong! Introducing the 2x4 Stand - Deluxe. It actually works. It's what I used to do chain maintenance on my recent 3,000 km trip.

wood1[1].jpg

wood2[1].jpg

• Like 8

My take on a trail stand.  I had a tripod sitting in the closet for 30 years used a few times.  It donated a leg.  I can thread the foot out for a hard surface, and in to expose a peg for soft.  I then welded up a cradle.  I have 2 more legs if any PNWet T7 owners needs one.

1012201026a.thumb.jpg.ea3fe451015da9c076849f607246508f.jpg 

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 3
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

On 10/11/2020 at 8:49 PM, YukonPete said:

Had a center stand on my KLR 650 for years and only used it for chain maintenance and tire changes. Never had a flat on the road. So with my T7 I decided no monster metal center stand. Why drag the weight around?

So after very intensive scientific and rigorous "modeling" and testing I have designed the lightest center stand ever and it is strong! Introducing the 2x4 Stand - Deluxe. It actually works. It's what I used to do chain maintenance on my recent 3,000 km trip.

wood1[1].jpg

wood2[1].jpg

Well now that I know it’s the deluxe model I want one! Didn’t want one of those cheap crap standard 2x4 stands. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 10:51 PM, DT675 said:

Well now that I know it’s the deluxe model I want one! Didn’t want one of those cheap crap standard 2x4 stands. 

Needs holes drilled for lightness;

spacer.png

Edited by norton73
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/12/2020 at 5:00 PM, roy826 said:

No way was I adding 10-11 lbs for one hanging underneath my bike. Not buying one goes totally against my thought process of the past in a new ADV bike. The T7 is a different animal all together so I am going in a T7 direction that Any added weight is weight no matter how you justify it. 

So I ordered one of these today. It comes highly recommended on ADVrider to the tune of 59 pages of praise in one thread. It will fit under my seat, I have the rally seat. But it’ll fit under the main part of the regular seat of slightly stuffed along either subframe rail through the little hole on each side just secure it with a rubber or Velcro strap. Disassemble the thing and store the small pieces in your tool bag. My main tools reside under the rally seat strapped to the seat button by the provided straps. 

Reasonably priced and effective and weighs ounces compared to a 10-11 lb centerstand. FWIW I’ve already had a rear flat on the T7 6 miles from my house. I won’t be attempting a roadside repair that close to my house. I’ll go get my truck and trailer like I did. Any further out I have options such as AMA roadside or just fix it. I do tote tubes and tools. 

I've been carrying one of these around in my KLX250/351 tool kit for several years. So far, haven't had to use it on my bike, but it's been used on some of the folks I've ridden with bikes, XR650l, CRF250, etc.

Knocking on wood.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 6:49 PM, YukonPete said:

wood1[1].jpg

wood2[1].jpg

That's incredible. How long has this product been in R&D? Please tell me it's not on back order, this model looks very promising. Do you think it works with most after market blinker fluids?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I very much agree on the added weight aspect. I was closely looking at all the photos posted looking for crash bars. If any was mounted you could count on me pointing it out! Haha..

I did fit a centre stand on my T7 though and I love it. I’d rather have that instead of racks or crash protection.

My 2 c 🙂

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 12:49 PM, YukonPete said:

wood1[1].jpg

wood2[1].jpg

What a brilliant idea 😄.

would you have the measurements of that beautiful piece of wood? 

I went 6 months with out a center stand and installed a SW Motech CS two weeks ago.  I replaced both tires last week and you will

curse the day you remove the rear wheel with out SOLID support when trying to re-install the rear wheel with the rear brake caliper set up on the T7.

Tie it to the swing arm like this as I posted on another thread.

C7C91F89-B424-4405-B50E-4B342D9FDE93.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I look around and found some very cheep stands on eBay (china made) but they are light small and works well.  63413945873__3F6F9AC2-6E9A-463F-B89B-21AE74973FE0.thumb.jpeg.0f6a695c8a9f49e7fc106785585a378d.jpeg