Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Any Recommendations for a good Throttle Lock?

Kevin

Greetings friends,

Many years ago, I had a flip-lever, Vista Cruise brand throttle lock on a KZ1000 and loved it. I'd like to replicate that positive experience with my T7. Any recommendations for a minimalistic, flip-lever throttle lock? Sure would appreciate any suggestions!

• Moderators

I had a Vistacruise on my DRZ & Beta, but this one is easily removed and works well.  I tried one that didn't have a tension adjustment screw which didn't work well. This one is fine and less than $10!

s-l400.jpg

Type: Throttle Lock Assist Grip. Relieves stress on your wrist on long rides. -Relax your hand and cruise in comfort. Rests on the brake lever to hold throttle open. -Twist the throttle to accelerate to your desired speed.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, CAJW said:

I had a Vistacruise on my DRZ & Beta, but this one is easily removed and works well.  I tried one that didn't have a tension adjustment screw which didn't work well. This one is fine and less than $10!

s-l400.jpg

Type: Throttle Lock Assist Grip. Relieves stress on your wrist on long rides. -Relax your hand and cruise in comfort. Rests on the brake lever to hold throttle open. -Twist the throttle to accelerate to your desired speed.

Thats what im using it works great also if you put it in the right position you can used that little hook like a thumb throttle so you can relax your grip i figured that out when i was 300 miles into a ride across the desert.  It is the way i use that throttle lock the most now. 

Not a throttle lock per se but I use a Throttle Rocker and have done for many years. It is good on the long stretches of tar on the way home. Fro $10 you can't go wrong.

https://www.throttlerocker.com/

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Good morning from Austria!

Look at that:

image.jpg

Schmerzt oder verkrampft dein Handgelenk auch auf langen Etappen mit deinem Motorrad? Selbst die schönste Ausfahrt oder Motorradreise kann so zur Tortur werden! Wir kennen dieses Problem nur zu gut und haben uns deswegen mit... Mehr... Für eine optimale Funktion ist unser Cruisy EVO in zwei verschiedenen...

Cheap, simply, works good!

I put one of the Atlas throttle locks on my tenere. Works very good so far and would buy again if I had to replace it

• Like 1

Can not recommend an Atlas Throttle lock for the Yamaha T7.  Just finished 1500mi. trip from a Dealer in Oregon back to my home in New Mexico. The unit started to creep after only one hour of use and three attempts to get it to properly function I had to give up and remove it. Plus, if you do any aggressive single track (like I did in Oregon) the sharp edge of the unit gets in the way of your throttle hand. "No amount of adjustment can fix a bad design." I will wait for the new Kaoko throttle lock that I used on my KTM bikes (990 & 690R). Also used Kaoko on my 2015 Yamaha FJ09 with great success.  

IMG_8654.jpeg

IMG_2959.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

3/16 ORing and used a fender washer to keep it on the bar end when not in use. Just roll it over and it fits between the bar end and grip . may have to play with the diameter depending on your setup .. Ive been using this setup for over 20 years on several bikes..

B020725C-98CF-4F40-BE03-CFAAD50BCF09.jpeg

DFEB87D8-682C-4816-93D9-E93E4B69DED4.jpeg

• Like 8

Installed new Kaoko Throttle stabilizer  model KAO.YAM625 for T7 with factory hand guards.  Ten minute install.  Works great.  Twisted Throttle has them.

Edited by Gekkdroid

Kaoko KBB310 (Africa Twin) aslo works well on T7 with Bark Busters.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

8 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

Kaoko KBB310 (Africa Twin) aslo works well on T7 with Bark Busters.

I’ll be fitting the Kaoko when there available in the UK. 

On 8/15/2020 at 1:53 AM, Rider 101 said:

Not a throttle lock per se but I use a Throttle Rocker and have done for many years. It is good on the long stretches of tar on the way home. Fro $10 you can't go wrong.

https://www.throttlerocker.com/

Not questioning your success or opinion, please understand but someone posts that on every related thread on every forum I have ever been on. I tried one. At the first stop, I removed it and threw it in the trash can. It does not let you remove your hand to adjust your mirror or scratch an itch and it was never in the right position for me to be useful. And it just found it to get it the way.

One of the things my arthritic hands will miss from my Super Tenere is the cruise. Some sort of throttle lock will have to do until for now.

• 1 year later...

How is anyone getting the Atlas throttle lock working on the Tenere 700?  The lock has nothing solid to anchor it, so when engaged it simply pushes into the soft part of the throttle grip?  If anyone has this up and running let me know the secret.