Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

subframe damage

fishyerik

Hi folks,

A bunch of guys on FB are complaining that the subframe is welded to the main frame.  One story has a T7 that was totalled by the insurance company because it fell over on the muffler and bent the subframe.  I'm surprised given that this bike has been around for a couple of years.  Anyone else have a similar experience?

Easy fix. Cut it off leaving 3 inchies and make a slim line clamp so if a big off it will bend on the join

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fishyerik said:

Hi folks,

A bunch of guys on FB are complaining that the subframe is welded to the main frame.  One story has a T7 that was totalled by the insurance company because it fell over on the muffler and bent the subframe.  I'm surprised given that this bike has been around for a couple of years.  Anyone else have a similar experience?

It’s such a stupid bloody design, no idea why they did it. 

I’ve dropped mine and the bracket bent in slightly meaning the muffler was rubbing on my swing arm. Bent it out again and it’s all good again.

I’m now waiting for a decent exhaust system that goes around and under the seat. There’s one option from a polish crowd which might be a good option. Few good reviews on here of it 

11 hours ago, 29er said:

You think thats bad....have a look at this 😲

Yep that's not ideal, my rear subframe on 1200gs adventure started rusting after 4000 miles and was exchanged on warranty and then the front one as well... Ktm seems to have issues as well. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

It’s such a stupid bloody design, no idea why they did it. 

I’ve dropped mine and the bracket bent in slightly meaning the muffler was rubbing on my swing arm. Bent it out again and it’s all good again.

I’m now waiting for a decent exhaust system that goes around and under the seat. There’s one option from a polish crowd which might be a good option. Few good reviews on here of it 

A removable exhaust bracket would be ideal... One that clamps on the frame and rotates on impact so that the frame doesn't take a hit.. Good bad idea? I'm no expert.. Aleks 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

A removable exhaust bracket would be ideal... One that clamps on the frame and rotates on impact so that the frame doesn't take a hit.. Good bad idea? I'm no expert.. Aleks 

Me thinks, a high exhaust setup should have been standard fare! No need for trick brackets then.

• Like 5

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators

dmg.thumb.png.9f8b988dcf6c5cc484481e575146ad1f.png

Well, it finally happened to someone I know. The story goes as follows: Two bikes were headed down a fast paced forest two-track, T7 in front. T7 comes up onto a Black Bear stopped dead on the trail, and hits the brakes hard. Second bike comes right up behind him veering to the right, and catches the T7 exhaust bending it skyward. The whole subframe is tweaked in the process, insurance is notified and the bike is written-off. Not your typical fall scenario, but a write-off nonetheless. May be relevant that it bent the hanger in the opposing direction that would normally occur.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!