Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tech tip Tenere 700 Free Fender Eliminator

BMRT7

I had my bike apart looking at where I’d install some aftermarket signals and figured the factory tail section could be chopped down and still be functional. 

6DFC8CBD-6D88-4BAE-8549-AAF54029F1DF.thumb.jpeg.b89a65427d50d189c6cc0d3f1617ba16.jpeg

You’ll need an extra piece to mount the plate horizontally, there are several options. I used an extra one I had made by enduro engineering. You will also need to come up with an aftermarket plate light if that’s something that is important to you. 

Basically outline the upper tail section, remove the lower section and chop it off. Clean up the edges. Drill new holes for signals. Done.

EF1B2A72-31F7-4AB1-95C6-71BA85C5410C.thumb.jpeg.ec12fce2f204fe10b13973f27bf69848.jpeg

Edited by BMRT7
Changed title to make it easier to find later
  • Like 4

• Moderators

@BMRT7Nice!  When you have a chance,  how about a few underneath pics? Thx.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, CAJW said:

I’ll grab some pics later today but it looks the same underneath as factory just without the piece for the plate light and meta bracket for license plate. 

30 minutes ago, Tenerequebec said:

More pics to see where you cut please 

You can see sharpie outline in first pic. Easier to see on the right side but basically just make the outline before you take it apart. Here is a terrible edit:

D53DA699-CA62-4D26-B0AF-5601B2217A1E.thumb.jpeg.0714ba2943a99d61119a87de9e6d1633.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 9:52 AM, BMRT7 said:

I’ll grab some pics later today but it looks the same underneath as factory just without the piece for the plate light and meta bracket for license plate. 

You can see sharpie outline in first pic. Easier to see on the right side but basically just make the outline before you take it apart. Here is a terrible edit:

D53DA699-CA62-4D26-B0AF-5601B2217A1E.thumb.jpeg.0714ba2943a99d61119a87de9e6d1633.jpeg

Can you share some more pictures of the tusk rack set up? I'm interested to see if it might be compatible with my outback motortek panniers..

Thanks!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

Can you share some more pictures of the tusk rack set up? I'm interested to see if it might be compatible with my outback motortek panniers..

Thanks!

What are you most interested in seeing and I can grab pics. There’s also another thread on the rack here:

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 11:13 AM, CAJW said:

Undercarriage:

7AD86F67-00A6-4D01-A5A2-BB7F1C05A66A.thumb.jpeg.20daa3206a9c92fd733795e43fba8d62.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BMRT7 said:

What are you most interested in seeing and I can grab pics. There’s also another thread on the rack here:

I'm wanting to know the length of the spacers and bracket to see how close the measurement is to mine.. if I could still use my same panniers if it's close, otherwise will get the complete tusk set up

IMG_20200817_200431.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

I'm wanting to know the length of the spacers and bracket to see how close the measurement is to mine.. if I could still use my same panniers if it's close, otherwise will get the complete tusk set up

IMG_20200817_200431.jpg

B1648BC2-430E-4FC4-BECD-89E05D73FAEA.thumb.jpeg.a9a0bad21a7051fa53d8a4d00cda91d8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I created a very similar setup this afternoon with some random parts I had laying around. Also, installed aftermarket LED rear signals.

IMG_2162.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 12:52 PM, BMRT7 said:

Hey BMRT7,

Do you know what the difference is between your DIY tail tidy and @Mr.motarded's version?  I see where you made your cut to the one piece, but he said he didn't cut anything off the OEM tailpiece other than the blinker wires.  I'm asking because, visually, I can't tell the difference between yours and his. 

8 minutes ago, Seventh Son said:

Hey BMRT7,

Do you know what the difference is between your DIY tail tidy and @Mr.motarded's version?  I see where you made your cut to the one piece, but he said he didn't cut anything off the OEM tailpiece other than the blinker wires.  I'm asking because, visually, I can't tell the difference between yours and his. 

Haven’t seen it. Link?

11 minutes ago, BMRT7 said:

Haven’t seen it. Link?

Sorry, I meant to link it earlier.  Here you go:

1 minute ago, Seventh Son said:

Sorry, I meant to link it earlier.  Here you go:

I see it now. He completely removed the underside piece. I kept it and trimmed it. If you look at the underside of his you can see the wires. 

Keeping the underside piece in place hides the wires/looks factory. You can see the underside of mine above. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BMRT7 said:

I see it now. He completely removed the underside piece. I kept it and trimmed it. If you look at the underside of his you can see the wires. 

Keeping the underside piece in place hides the wires/looks factory. You can see the underside of mine above. 

I see it now.  I was focused on the outside of the tail tidy.

Okay, so keeping that underside piece but just trimming it keeps things looking more original on the underside and protects the wires.  Yep, I like it.

Thank you sir.

• 6 months later...

What are you doing for a tag light? I have been stopped for not having a tag light.

• 2 years later...