Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

US Tenere keys

JDCooper

Question

I have a USA bike and had two spare keys cut.    The key blank is an Ilco X 248 or YM 63 and works great.  It is the same blank used for the Super Tenere.

Just FYI......

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

They are not chipped keys (as far as I know and as far as my dealer told me) as you don't get a 'red' key for programming the ECU for new keys.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Uk gets chipped keys for the OEM immobiliser (red key supplied to recode), i guess the US dont get the OEM immobiliser then. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

My dealer told me the US bikes do have chipped keys. I was warned not to lose the ID tag with the unique code for my bike as they don't have the capability to make a replacement as that has to come directly from Yamaha using my code. I can't say that I've read this anywhere or that he knew this as fact, but figured I'd follow their advice just the same. No red key received with my US bike though.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, CAJW said:

My dealer told me the US bikes do have chipped keys. I was warned not to lose the ID tag with the unique code for my bike as they don't have the capability to make a replacement as that has to come directly from Yamaha using my code. I can't say that I've read this anywhere or that he knew this as fact, but figured I'd follow their advice just the same. No red key received with my US bike though.

You don't have a chipped key. You have a coded key that must be replaced by Yamaha using your ID tag. A chipped key talks to the immobilizer in the ignition switch, requiring a RED master key in order to reprogram the ECU to see the new replacement chipped key. S10's FZ10, etc, etc have chipped keys. The T7 does not.

• Like 5

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

You don't have a chipped key. You have a coded key that must be replaced by Yamaha using your ID tag. A chipped key talks to the immobilizer in the ignition switch, requiring a RED master key in order to reprogram the ECU to see the new replacement chipped key. S10's FZ10, etc, etc have chipped keys. The T7 does not.

Good to know. Yet another internet misnomer put to rest. 😉

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

...and thanks to Whisperquiet for that!  I’m on my way to the locksmith’s now. 

Can any locksmith cut a spare key? I don't have to have Yamaha cut it, do I? I want a plain flat one cut. No plastic bulges. Because I like to carry a spare key in my boots under the removable insole. 

• Like 2

Any locksmith should be able to cut a spare T7 key.....mine is flat and is in my wallet.

26771268-5CF2-4A22-8174-4B22AD24858C.jpeg

• Like 5

On 8/17/2020 at 4:12 AM, whisperquiet said:

Any locksmith should be able to cut a spare T7 key.....mine is flat and is in my wallet.

26771268-5CF2-4A22-8174-4B22AD24858C.jpeg

How much the locksmith has charged you for the new key?

That is a great idea, never thought of that but that also might be because i do have a chipped key and this would not work for me or any European i guess.
IMG_20220429_195104.jpg.c21f5f79ee2f43120c136dd09d19ab85.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnMilton said:

How much the locksmith has charged you for the new key?

The price for the blank and the key cut was around $5.00 or so per key.

My bike is a 2021 model and i confirmed with yamaha it is a usa made bike. I ordered to ym63 blanks and had my local key making people cut me a key. They look close or perfect but dont work. I held my other key very near the new key and at one point the spare key did turn the bike on. It was a bit hard to get it turned back so now I am a bit afraid of getting one stuck in there. Any words of wisdom? I dont think holding the other key close was the trick i think it just happened to work once.

If it won't turn its just poorly cut.  The chip in euro bikes is just an immobiliser nothing to do with the lock barrel 

Could be just a "burr" on the new cut. Hit it on a wire brush wheel to smooth things and get rid of the burrs or take it back to the guys that cut it

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Ok thanks.

So you feel that the lack of chip if mine needed it would not limit the keys ability to turn it just wouldnt start? I bought 2 blanks and had them both cut. They look really good but must be off in some way.

If you lookup the operation manual that comes with every bike your questions will be answered.

German manual

Betriebsanleitung_Zündschlüssel.jpg

US keys don't have chips, so the issue has to be a poor cut or finishing. 

Not sure this will help to figure out the problem but the keys will open the seat and gas tank. Wonder if the key lock is more precise or if that little "detent" compression in the lock bf the turn is the issue?

2 hours ago, eyeguy said:

Not sure this will help to figure out the problem but the keys will open the seat and gas tank. Wonder if the key lock is more precise or if that little "detent" compression in the lock bf the turn is the issue?

Yes it's likely that the ignition has tighter tolerances than the seat/gas cap. And to your earlier post, a chip would not limit the physical turning of the key.

I recently had a duplicate made that had some problems turning in the ignition but works fine on the seat. The main problem with this one is that the length of the key from the end to the shoulder (the part that bumps against the lock to stop it going in further) is a bit off, but it's an off-brand blank. I have to press it in slightly to turn it.

Like @Hibobb mentioned, deburring the cuts will probably do the trick. Because keys are ground on wheels, sometimes the cuts are sloped and not at 90 degree angles. You can look down the length of the key and sometimes see this, and you can even try removing some with a file, but you might wind up removing too much.

Really the place you got the key from should redo it for you until it works.

advgoats.com

3 hours ago, eyeguy said:

the keys will open the seat and gas tank

Maybe your steering lock is your problem

1) In the lock position, you have to push the key down/in an extra little bit before turning it

2) If the steering had any tension on the lock, the key won't move. Try moving the bars a it to release pressure.

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I will try to move the bars but the bars are pretty straight and the factory key does work. Thanks