Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

To Lower or Not to Lower?

USAFJack

Hey guys/gals,

New guy who's dead set on buying a Tenere Spring of 2021. I'm trying to get some advice on whether ya'll think I should lower the motorcycle right off the bat or leave it as is? I'm a fairly short guy at 5'4"  ,28" Inseam and I'd like the ability for the balls of both feet to touch the ground so I could at least back out of a parking space without making a complete chore of it. Thanks!

Depends on how confident you are and what and how you will be riding. If mainly sticking to well formed roads, commuting and touring rather than racing along at warp speed everywhere over single trail, I would say lower it.

I would lower it and put the original link when you are more confident.

That is exactly what I will be doing

Im 5’7” and on tip toe just .

Ive lowered by 20mm  and now my feet on the floor 2 inches and lowered forks by 20mm much better for me anyways  , next i will lower the seat by seat concepts as don't want to lose suspension travel

Edited by Matth

I'm 5'9" tall 145 lbs geared up and I ride with the rally seat. I've been off road with it this past weekend and no issues. Can I touch the ground on flat concrete, no, just the tip toes of my feet or side saddle it with one foot completely on the ground.

I have rode tall dirtbikes my entire life and I guess I mastered the routine and do not even notice the height on the T7. Off road on uneven terrain you just have to pay attention to which side is the higher ground and use that to you advantage when putting a foot down. Or when in doubt just gas it and momentum will take care of you.

No way am I lowering a T7. That would be like me lowering a a tall/average height dirbike.

I can barely touch the ground on tip toes.  I thought I would eventually get used to it but I haven't.  While riding there isn't any problem unless I need to dab which is a no go.  Not being able to touch the ground when stopped or when trying to move the bike around or getting on/off or putting the kickstand up/down proved to be too much of a pain this last 5 day ride I went on.  Riding isn't exhausting but getting on and off the bike is.  I will be lowering it now.  Enough is enough for me, I give up.

22 minutes ago, Matth said:

I think 5.9 and 5.4 is significantly different 😀

Point was I have the rally seat and I still manage.

I feel your pain.  I'm 5'4" with 26" inseam.  I lowered it 18 mm front and back and I can just touch the tips of my toes to the ground.  I can manage but any loose rock, or dip in the road at a stop light is going to put me down.

I bit the bullet and ordered the 50 mm links.  I'm only going to ride on the road so clearance isn't an issue.  It will be nice not worrying every time I stop about the ground and scanning for dips and debris.

I think 20 mm might be just enough for you since you have a longer inseam.  You also have the option of a lower seat.  The Yamaha one is 20 mm lower but isn't very comfortable.   I'd get the Seat Concepts Low Comfort if you go that option.  I'll be getting one as soon as it comes out!!

Good luck.

Edited by Gekkdroid
  • Like 1

Dunno if it helps but i never swing my leg over when getting on n off. Side stand down, left foot on peg then swing over. Reverse when getting off. 

Hope that helps a bit for us vertically challenged old blokes:))

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor

I would try the Yamaha Low accessory seat.  I went that route (I'm 5'8, well, maybe 5'7 now after my spinal surgery, haha).

Worked a treat for me, as I didn't want to affect geometry or clearance if I take it of road.

🙂

- Paul

28 inch inseam (5'7) as well and went with the Yamaha lower seat. Never tried the regular seat.

The seat is ok but I haven't compared like I said. I make it a point to stand once in a while and that works relatively well. Also bought bicycling short to help.

I bought the Yamaha link but haven't installed them yet. Height is fine for the road as is but I may drop it more off-road than somebody taller. 

Thanks for all the advice! Sounds like the Yamaha Link and a Seat Concepts seat will be my first accessory purchases. I do intend to take it off road and it'll suck about the ground clearance but you can't have your cake and eat it too. I'll just have to be more cautious with large obstacles.

20 hours ago, Matth said:

Dunno if it helps but i never swing my leg over when getting on n off. Side stand down, left foot on peg then swing over. Reverse when getting off. 

Hope that helps a bit for us vertically challenged old blokes:))

This is also the perfect procedure when the rear is packed with luggage and it's difficult to swing over.

I advice 20mm lowering link its good and nothing was effected badly about drive

With the 20mm lowering link, do you need to shorten the side stand?

1 hour ago, beater_bimmer said:

With the 20mm lowering link, do you need to shorten the side stand?

No, the existing stand is fine. I have the Rally-Raid 20mm lowering links on mine and forks lowered 20mm to match. Cheers.

Making James May look quick!