Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CGras

To keep or not to keep

CGras

Here's a question I better shouldn't ask on a bike forum but hey. 😄

So ever since I got my Tenere in march of this year, my old bike, a 1999 BMW R1100GS has been sitting in the garage and hasn't moved much apart from being shoved around for when I needed the space. At the moment it's not taking up any valuable space.

Right after I got the Yamaha, I put the BMW up for sale since I knew that I would the Tenere a lot more. In fact I cancelled the insurance on it soon after as well. Before that I got it freshly safety inspected and it passed with flying colors and is good until march 2021. 

I bought the bike last year for about 3500€ with a bunch of parts and accessories. I have tried selling it for the same amount after having added even more stuff to it. It wouldn't sell for the price so I lowered it to 3000 first, then 2500 and finally to 2000 before pulling the ad for a while. 

I have put it back up for sale after confinement ended hoping it would sell then but no luck. I have tried selling it to some dealers but the best offer I got were 1000€. That would be basically giving it away. So it has been sitting and sitting.

What would you do in this situation? Let it sit even more? Sell it to a dealer? Get it back on the road? 

To get it back on the road I would  only need to insure it again which costs about 170€ per year.

I'm kinda bummed out by the fact that I have a perfectly good bike sitting there not moving for about half a year now.

DSC00842.thumb.JPG.ea6c2862946edd54994f70204969e552.JPG

Johnnyboxer

Keep it

I am riding my T700 now as it’s the new kid on the block’

However I have a 1150 GS Adv that isn’t going anywhere 

The BMW’s a better road and gravel tourer than the T700 will ever be 

• Like 1

Louis
Posted (edited)

The BMW is a keeper! The T7 is like a new girlfriend, you just want to ride it all the time. 😉 After a while you will realise and remember what you saw in the BMW and why you  purchased it.

You will regret selling it, because you will be reminiscent of the bike that you once had. Then the bike becomes a collectable, now you kick yourself for selling so cheaply.  You really want another one now, but you can't find any for less than €4000 but in worse condition. KEEP IT! you won't be sorry. Do you think that I should sell my BMW? 

20200521_095141.jpg

Edited by Louis
Photo

CGras

Well you're both right. The BMW is staying. I had to shift some stuff around in the garage and now it fits. It's definitely not going to be sold for 1000€.

@Louis

Nice R100 GS. I love the colors.

I actually thougt about buying one of those when I ended up with the 1100.

• Like 1

Louis

It won't be long, but the 1100GS will become collectable. I bought my R100GS a few years ago, it had 3 electrical faults and  a carburetor problem.

I added a  tall seat, lowered footpegs, Ohlins shock and heavier progressive fork springs.  Once fixed and minor  cosmetic improvement, I found it was an incredibly capable and versatile motorbike.

It has since become very collectable and they sell quickly. I have  3 people I know wanting to buy it! NOT for sale. You will be proudly riding your GS again soon after the T7 honeymoon. 

• Like 1

qInvention

the question's been answered now, but I still wanted to add my point of view. 

I once sold a bike, which was an XT600 E. I sold it because I didn't ride it anymore after buying my Harley.

I think it took me about 2 hours to start regretting that it was gone. So I tried to convince the buyer to sell it back to me, which took me a few years. Eventually I succeeded, but in the meantime I had already bought an XT600 Z, just to be sure to have an XT600. 

I'm not sure I'll ever sell a bike in the future. So if you have the space to keep it, then keep it. You just can't be sure you really want to sell it. 

MeefZah

I will be the odd man out and say that I don't like accumulating things that aren't being used.  If a bike (or anything, really) sits around, I get rid of it.  I hate clutter.  I don't care what it's worth, or what it might be worth.  Clean space and things in constant use is / are soothing to me.   Adding funds to my savings account and saving money with less registration and insurance are just extra bonuses.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman