Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Goldentaco

Aftermarket Exhaust and Spark Arrestors

Goldentaco
Posted (edited)

Searching for exhaust options and needing a USFS spark arrestor I quickly found there is very little information on many of the MFGs websites.  With most of the offerings being from European companies, the spark arrestor situation gets even dicier.  Finding any information directly from the USFS leads to a bunch of individual tales and questionable interpretations of the actual legalities. The actual legalities lie in a few different documents so lets look at a few of the important designations that play into this big puzzle.  I'm not going to wade into interpreting the laws around this as it doesn't really matter what my interpretation is, the LEO you encounter has the final say if a test is conducted.  

So I decided to compile a list of various Exhausts that do or do not have Spark Arrestors.  Those that don't have SA's can be fitted with USFS approved SA's and become legal so long as all the exhaust gasses pass through the SA.  As long as the Exhaust outlet is round, this should be easy to remedy.  So I set out to make a list of available Exhaust options for the Tenere 700 and sent emails to the MFGs for more information.  I will update the list as I get responses.  If there are other brands I did not include, leave a comment and I'll update the info. 

*All the MFG info I am listing is available on their website or was sent to me via an email inquiry I submitted on the website.*

A few USFS SA's that may work depending on the Exhaust Outlet I.D.:

FMF: This should be 48mm O.D. FMF Pn-040261 ( FMF 4.1/4.C Spark Arrestor)

%2524_57__45924.1541907396.386.513.JPG?c

For the Best Selection of In-Stock MX, ATV & Motorcycle Performance Parts. Dirt Bike , ATV, UTVs Accessories. Up Free Shipping and No Tax!

Fisch Moto:  They make easy to install USFS Spark Arrestors that fit 20mm-45mm outlets. 

SparkArrestor_1200x1200.jpg?v=1591479865

Fisch Moto Spark Arrestor USFS approved Universal muffler fitment (as long as tail pipe is round) Perfect for Dirt Bikes, ATVs, Enduro and other round tailpipes - see our sizing below. Will fit any circular exhaust with a tail pipe inside diameter from 20-45mm/0.800”-1.800”(5mm/0.196” increments, 5 sizes available) Goo

Exhausts:

-Akrapovic CARB approved -From Akrapovic:"The Slip-On system S-YSO2-HFTT has a noise insert however it does not have the screen on the end that would make it qualify as a spark arrestor. Our R&D team is aware of the need for one in the US and we are working on a solution. If/when available, you would simply swap out the existing noise insert for one with a screen on the end (Spark arrestor)."

-Arrow - No spark Arrestor currently, but as of 26AUG2020 it is in development.  From Arrow: "72626xx silencers all come with a dB-killer: we still have to develop a spark arrester for this bike. Exit pipe internal diameter is 58mm (for silencers with carbon endcap – dB-killer is held in place with a seeger ring) and 43mm (for silencers with stainless steel endcap – the ones with “external” exit pipe)."  Extra info:  Seeger ring is a brand name for common Snap rings.

---EDIT 13OCT2020--Arrow sales just confirmed they have Spark arrestors available for their Tenere 700 exhausts.  The info should be up on their website soon.  Very cool they emailed me back specifically with this info based on my previous request.

-HP Corse  -Awaiting more info-

-Wings - Has a db Killer and Spark arrestor. 48mm outlet. ----Edit: 18AUG2020, Spark Arrestor is USFS compliant but not yet approved.  Wings is awaiting response back from SDTDC ( San Dimas Technology and Development Center).  This is the testing "laboratory" for USFS/USDA Spark arrestor approval.

T7 Rally -Awaiting more info-

-Mivv  -CARB approved -NO SPARK ARRESTOR.

-Termignoni -Awaiting more info-

-Leo Vince  LV One Evo Stainless or Black Edition CARB approved  No spark arrestor. 52mm Outlet I.D.

-Huzar  No Spark Arrestor, but db killer is 47.17mm Fisch or FMF Sparky will fit.  Fisch possibly longer grub screws.  I will be confirming this one personally when I receive the parts.

-DominatoR -NO SPARK ARRESTOR.  Outlet is 48mm

-Remus -Awaiting more info-

-SC Project -NO SPARK ARRESTOR.  dB killer may or may not be USFS approved, US Distributor unsure of approval status so I would say not approved.  Awaiting confirmation of Outlet diameter.

-Yoshimura RS-12-  Has available USFS Approved Spark Arrestor. 

-Zard  -Awaiting more info-

A couple clarifications on exhaust approvals:

CARB: compliant with the requirements of the Air Resources Board of the California Environmental Protection Agency. Products marked as CARB compliant are considered replacement parts under CARB regulations.  Replacement part approval states the non OEM part is functionally equivalent to the original. 

J

Edit: 18AUG2020---added info on Wings USFS approval.

Edit: 20AUG2020---added response from Akropovic.

Edit: 24AUG2020—added info for Yoshimura. 

Edit: 26AUG2020---added info for Arrow.

Edit: 31AUG2020---added info for SC Project and Mivv.

Edit: 13OCT2020---added info on Spark Arrestor availability for Arrow exhausts.

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 5

Seventh Son

Nice work.  Thanks for your efforts.  👍

• Like 1

Goldentaco
Posted (edited)

Added Akropovic response.

J

Edited by Goldentaco

Goldentaco

Added Yoshimura exhaust. 

BellissiMoto

Arrow does not have a SA.

There is another US company that is working on an exhaust, and it will have a SA.

• Like 1

Idarex

SC Project?

• Like 1

Tazmool

Very nice work!

Tazmool

Goldentaco
2 hours ago, Idarex said:

SC Project?

I’ll check with them. 

• Thanks 1

NvNick

Does your car or truck have a spark arrestor ? Ever been checked ? 

CGras

Probably not but a car or truck has a way longer exhaust line and these days a catalytic converter or even a particulate filter when it's a diesel so the chance of sparks escaping from the exhaust is less likely.