Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Camel Tank $389

Camel ADV

On 2/3/2021 at 5:36 PM, Camel ADV said:

The brackets for the OEM tail assembly aren't available yet. I expect them mid next week. 

IMG_0002.jpeg

Excellent, thanks. I look forward to the video.

One question, if using the OEM compatible bracket, and we at a later date decide to fit your tail tidy, can the same tank be used if we change the bracket to your original (existing) one? Cheers

Cory...notice SW Motech crash bars on the T7 in the recent pics...how are you finding them for knee clearance & how tall are you?

Edited by prowlnS10

• Supporting Vendor
1 hour ago, Treps said:

Excellent, thanks. I look forward to the video.

One question, if using the OEM compatible bracket, and we at a later date decide to fit your tail tidy, can the same tank be used if we change the bracket to your original (existing) one? Cheers

The OEM style bracket will work with either tail set-up. The tank bracket for the tail tidy is a cleaner looking set-up if you're using the TT.
We have to update the install video to cover both styles. We should be doing it this week.

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• Supporting Vendor
1 hour ago, prowlnS10 said:

Cory...notice SW Motech crash bars on the T7 in the recent pics...how are you finding them for knee clearance & how tall are you?

I assume you are talking about the blue T7? It's GF's bike, I never ride it so I have no crash bar input for you.

• Like 1

So I am installing the camel tank with the rally raid racks - so far, they are not a match. For some reason the forum upgrade or something broke the ability to look on mobile so i will have to post pictures later. The back of the tank stick up and out farther than i though and hits the back tub of the RR rack. No easy way to correct - spacers would not work b/c it would need 26mm of spacers  I think measuring with my calipers

looks like with the original spacers stacked on top of the sw motech rack spacers i will have just enough clearance, if i can get long enough bolts.

its only the back that is the trouble, the front would fir which ironically is where i thought the trouble would be.

I'll post a pic or two when I am not in the garage.

• Thanks 1

Finally out of the garage. Tank is mounted, looks good, we'll see how well it works. 

The more I think about it I don't think the Rally Raid racks are going to work. I could stick spacers on them, then they would be pretty far out, they would probably impede a passenger on the bike as well since they stick far enough forward but I would have to check. They would have some long honkin bolts to hold them on which means i have some easy to bend bolts when I drop it. 

The spacers that come with the racks are a perfect fit over top the spacers for the SW Motech rack. I had my kiddo come hold up the racks with the spacers so you could see how far out they have to go.

The other thing is that its only the back that interferes, which is exactly the opposite of how I thought it would be, I thought the back would fit fine and the front where the pillion peg brace comes out would interfere would be the problem - that brace "does" touch but its a solvable problem , i would just grind the back of it down a bit.

Mike

CJ3N3gnVTWKcRRl0qx9Gqw_thumb_1439.thumb.jpg.1e28b558b4dcc0f599a2b2ea234c3e68.jpgNCCq6ZrSRriFjs1lvoJesw_thumb_143a.thumb.jpg.3a01cd59956697017b13785814270f50.jpgAgwJgeESReSSuKBzevVUdw_thumb_143c.thumb.jpg.817344a24f9b50fe7e716d80eae40a5b.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_143d.thumb.jpg.0d69ce9bab83f998401ee807d02d137f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_143e.thumb.jpg.e0ed8f495cccda3715a6d3bd463afeec.jpg

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
14 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

Finally out of the garage. Tank is mounted, looks good, we'll see how well it works. 

The more I think about it I don't think the Rally Raid racks are going to work. I could stick spacers on them, then they would be pretty far out, they would probably impede a passenger on the bike as well since they stick far enough forward but I would have to check. They would have some long honkin bolts to hold them on which means i have some easy to bend bolts when I drop it. 

The spacers that come with the racks are a perfect fit over top the spacers for the SW Motech rack. I had my kiddo come hold up the racks with the spacers so you could see how far out they have to go.

The other thing is that its only the back that interferes, which is exactly the opposite of how I thought it would be, I thought the back would fit fine and the front where the pillion peg brace comes out would interfere would be the problem - that brace "does" touch but its a solvable problem , i would just grind the back of it down a bit.

Mike

CJ3N3gnVTWKcRRl0qx9Gqw_thumb_1439.thumb.jpg.1e28b558b4dcc0f599a2b2ea234c3e68.jpgNCCq6ZrSRriFjs1lvoJesw_thumb_143a.thumb.jpg.3a01cd59956697017b13785814270f50.jpgAgwJgeESReSSuKBzevVUdw_thumb_143c.thumb.jpg.817344a24f9b50fe7e716d80eae40a5b.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_143d.thumb.jpg.0d69ce9bab83f998401ee807d02d137f.jpg

Thanks for the intel. It's looking more likely that we'll have to make our own soft luggage racks.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

Thanks for the intel. It's looking more likely that we'll have to make our own soft luggage racks.

I would agree - I emailed @Ktmmitch at Rally Raid as well just so they know there is a fitment issue there. It is unfortunate as I really like those racks. Guess I will rehome them and grab the adventure spec ones.

12 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

Mike

Lets make sure I am looking at this right. Looking at the photos only the rear attaching point would need a longer spacer, along with the front bracket ground down, correct?   Did you by any chance measure how much longer the spacer would need to be?  

I'll never have a passenger on mine, so being a bit wider is no issue for me.

Thanks

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

3 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

Lets make sure I am looking at this right. Looking at the photos only the rear attaching point would need a longer spacer, along with the front bracket ground down, correct?   Did you by any chance measure how much longer the spacer would need to be?  

I'll never have a passenger on mine, so being a bit wider is no issue for me.

Thanks

I mentioned the length of the spacer you would need, 26 mm or so. The stock spacers added about 25mm longer which was also about enough . That's on top of the SW motech spacers and the compatible spacers for the RR racks which I don't recall their 

I am pretty sure you could not just space out the back, that would put the rack at a significant angle, making the mounting points not line up, and not be square to the spacers.

I'm not sure how you would get the pillion page mount to meet up to the rack other than bending it quite a bit out or the same 25-26mm spacers.

I did a quick search, the longest 8mm countersunk  allen screws I could get on McMaster Carr were 120 mm long. I'll have to see if those are long enough even.

You may not want a passenger or anything but there could be other structural drawbacks since you are increasing the leverage of the racks on the frame, for example.

Mike

13 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Yes Cory DO IT! Make them like the AS racks, they flow so nice with the back end.

30 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

I mentioned the length of the spacer you would need, 26 mm or so. The stock spacers added about 25mm longer which was also about enough . That's on top of the SW motech spacers and the compatible spacers for the RR racks which I don't recall their 

I am pretty sure you could not just space out the back, that would put the rack at a significant angle, making the mounting points not line up, and not be square to the spacers.

I'm not sure how you would get the pillion page mount to meet up to the rack other than bending it quite a bit out or the same 25-26mm spacers.

I did a quick search, the longest 8mm countersunk  allen screws I could get on McMaster Carr were 120 mm long. I'll have to see if those are long enough even.

You may not want a passenger or anything but there could be other structural drawbacks since you are increasing the leverage of the racks on the frame, for example.

Mike

Thank you for the additional information. I understand better now. I really like the RR racks and just got done figuring out the mounting arrangement for a set of my old soft saddle bags that I use on a couple other bikes.  I also, haven't fully convinced myself I need the extra range yet. 

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

3 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

Thank you for the additional information. I understand better now. I really like the RR racks and just got done figuring out the mounting arrangement for a set of my old soft saddle bags that I use on a couple other bikes.  I also, haven't fully convinced myself I need the extra range yet. 

I am going to think about it for a bit, my brother is going to come over later and look too, maybe just need to stew about a slightly better idea. I'll let you know if i come up with anything 🙂

Mike

4 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

I am going to think about it for a bit, my brother is going to come over later and look too, maybe just need to stew about a slightly better idea. I'll let you know if i come up with anything 🙂

Mike

Awesome. I am going to look at your pictures and the bike at the same time tonight.  One thing I though of that I really want to do would be cut a chunk out out RR rack reweld it and paint it. I will admit I am spoiled by have an IMS tank on my WR250R and old KLR that give me big range. 

8 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

Awesome. I am going to look at your pictures and the bike at the same time tonight.  One thing I though of that I really want to do would be cut a chunk out out RR rack reweld it and paint it. I will admit I am spoiled by have an IMS tank on my WR250R and old KLR that give me big range. 

Yeah, cutting and welding was something I had thought of as well.  I'll know more tonight I think but we'll see. I really like those racks they would work with just a couple little tweaks like being bent or something.

Mike

1 minute ago, MikeCMP said:

Yeah, cutting and welding was something I had thought of as well.  I'll know more tonight I think but we'll see. I really like those racks they would work with just a couple little tweaks like being bent or something.

Mike

I almost went with AS rear racks, but had this feeling that after a few drops they would be toast being bent aluminum. 

Ok I got some extra bolts and such and am going to do some experimenting. Had my brother come over on friday to brainstorm, turns out when mocking it up, the angle wasn't going to be too bad. He's a mechanical engineer and suggested just trying spacing out the back and dealing with the slight angle. 

Only other mod I can think of would be grinding down the pillion peg bracket to remove the part that contacts the tank to prevent rubbing. I'll post back the results of my experiments if I go out tonight in the cold to play with it.

I just realized today that McMaster Carr is like an hour away from where I live so it explains why i always get my stuff from them the next day 🙂

Mike

• Like 1

Here is what the RR racks look like mounted up with the camel tank. I needed to use a 100mm bolt along with the original spacer, the original bolts were 70mm so a 30mm increase, though the actual spacers are about 25 mm bigger.

I just used a larger spacer in the back, and left the front as it was since it fit just fine, with one exception I'll come to, that I still need to work out. The front of the rack stil lays on the plastic like it does on the other side wit the rubber bumper in the correct place, and the rear of the racks has a few mm of clearance and cannot be pushed into the tank. Will be more stable when i figure out the pillion peg bracket.

Speaking of the bracket, the problem with it is its pretty far inboard from the rack, and then has an L shape for the bolt, in conjunction with a spacer.  The shape of that bracket doesn't allow it to fit in between the rack and the tank. I'm thinking that I will cut the tube off about 1.5 inches , and reweld a piece of flat baron in its place, maybe with some small gussets for strength. That flatter bar would be able to reach in between the tank and the rack. 

If the attachment for this was just an inch or so forward, or the tank bevel started back a little more this would not be an issue. However, its solvable I think. I have a crappy welder so will go over to borrow my brothers better set up and give this a go in the coming week or two.

Mike

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1455.thumb.jpg.cf40ede3306c46cc4e6f904732a1cd8e.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1454.thumb.jpg.7bbab90138f0f73e906ddaae329ca85e.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1453.thumb.jpg.ad2f056dbab5fb563522bd08cc2144df.jpg

• Like 3

Looking like it may work @MikeCMP I have the same RR soft luggage and SW Moto rear rack setup and have been thinking of getting the Camel tank. So, thank you for documenting your progress and thoughts. 

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
6 hours ago, Neil said:

@Camel ADVHi. Any update on the brackets for fitting the camel tank with the original tail set up?

Cheers.

We should have kits ready Friday next week (Feb 19th).

• Like 2

@Camel ADV Are you planning to post an installation video for the OEM tail bracket option? Or at least something that shows clearly the differences in fixing points? Thanks 

• Supporting Vendor
10 hours ago, Treps said:

@Camel ADV Are you planning to post an installation video for the OEM tail bracket option? Or at least something that shows clearly the differences in fixing points? Thanks 

I shot most of it yesterday... Valentine's Day... my GF was thrilled.

I'll be editing it in the next few days.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1