Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Camel Tank $389

Camel ADV

Ok, 

Update for the folks that have Rally Raid racks and want to run a camel tank.

I already mentioned the extra spacer in the back, now it's time to fix the pillion peg bracket. 

I cut the existing one and welded up a new piece of flat steel in its place. Will also need a shorter bolt as the tank is pretty close but there is plenty of clearance for now. 

I'll make up a thread in the tech section so as not to pollute this thread with my ramblings. 

Here is a couple pictures of the finished bracket. Fee free to laugh at my feeble metalworking skills 🙂

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_146e.thumb.jpg.400fb8e5ef66183b62dbb391bcfaaac8.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1471.thumb.jpg.aabe548ff21418f16d42917479be64e0.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1473.thumb.jpg.13ceef4d2a7a322f41fdf23f0c7e9f11.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1474.thumb.jpg.40187ed42cf0174bba9506fc5f65a3dc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Camel ADV

Quick questions, something that occured to me, was curious on your opinion.

With the camel tank, i was curious, if you had everything all plumbed up, and the camel tank empty, if you blew into the top vent hose, would you expect to basically not be able to blow in as the tank and everything should be sealed? I was thinking if you were not sure of sal of your gas cap, you could do that to "test it"

The other thing i thought was if it was leaking on a trip, and you had gas in your camel tank, you could blow into that hose and transfer the gas to the main tank like that - you have the gas on the bike, was thinking you might need to siphon it, but in was thinking you could just force it in.

I was just thinking to myself if there was some way to pressurize the tank to pump fuel into the main tank, just thinking out loud, curious about my questions though, when I blew into the vent hose after installing everything it felt like i could blow air through the system, but my gas cap does not seem to leak when the bike is laying on the ground. 

Mike

Edited by MikeCMP

• Supporting Vendor
4 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

@Camel ADV

Quick questions, something that occured to me, was curious on your opinion.

With the camel tank, i was curious, if you had everything all plumbed up, and the camel tank empty, if you blew into the top vent hose, would you expect to basically not be able to blow in as the tank and everything should be sealed? I was thinking if you were not sure of sal of your gas cap, you could do that to "test it"

The other thing i thought was if it was leaking on a trip, and you had gas in your camel tank, you could blow into that hose and transfer the gas to the main tank like that - you have the gas on the bike, was thinking you might need to siphon it, but in was thinking you could just force it in.

I was just thinking to myself if there was some way to pressurize the tank to pump fuel into the main tank, just thinking out loud, curious about my questions though, when I blew into the vent hose after installing everything it felt like i could blow air through the system, but my gas cap does not seem to leak when the bike is laying on the ground. 

Mike

Hey Mike,

If you blew into the vent on the Camel Tank, the air should not leak out. That been said, if either tank was 100% full, there would be air in them. Since we know air compresses but liquids don't, it's possible to pressurize the air portion but you should not be able to just keep blowing endlessly.

If you opened  the main tank's fuel cap, then you could blow into the Camel Tank to transfer fuel manually. Of course, having your face/mouth anywhere near fuel it never a good idea.

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

24 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

Hey Mike,

If you blew into the vent on the Camel Tank, the air should not leak out. That been said, if either tank was 100% full, there would be air in them. Since we know air compresses but liquids don't, it's possible to pressurize the air portion but you should not be able to just keep blowing endlessly.

If you opened  the main tank's fuel cap, then you could blow into the Camel Tank to transfer fuel manually. Of course, having your face/mouth anywhere near fuel it never a good idea.

Right, Gotcha,

I had a little extra of the rubber right-angle vent hose and i stuffed it in my tool roll. Its easy to slip the vent hose off, i could just take the extra clean hose and blow through that on the camel tank and call it good. if needed. 

One of my riding buddies or me always has a siphon around for emergencies, ones of them drives a GSA with a 9 gallon tank (The SuperTanker) 

We are getting another huge blast of snow so have not even put gas in the Camel tank yet 🙂

Mike

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 2:20 PM, Camel ADV said:

I shot most of it yesterday... Valentine's Day... my GF was thrilled.

I'll be editing it in the next few days.

Actually she was quite thrilled as all she wants for presents is Camel stuff 😉

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor

The updated install video is up. It includes the new stronger rear bracket mounting hardware procedure and the OEM tail section bracket mounting.

FYI, if you've previously purchased a tank and didn't get the updated M8 mounting hardware, let me know and I can get a set headed out to you. This should only apply to the first 20-ish orders. Some of you may have gotten the new hardware but weren't sure what to do with it... start watching the install video at about the 17:15 mark.

The OEM tail mount has 2 mounting heights. We got some feedback the Camel Tank's vent fitting was hitting some manufacturers rear cargo racks so we included a second set of mounting holes on the OEM hanger bracket so it can be lowered by 10mm if needed.

I'm going to put a small number of tanks with the OEM mounting brackets in the site right now. We're throttling available inventory at the moment because we're trying to get shipping & receiving moved into our recently acquired second bay but sales have been crazy so it's been a challenge. It's a good problem to have!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

The updated install video is up. It includes the new stronger rear bracket mounting hardware procedure and the OEM tail section bracket mounting.

FYI, if you've previously purchased a tank and didn't get the updated M8 mounting hardware, let me know and I can get a set headed out to you. This should only apply to the first 20-ish orders. Some of you may have gotten the new hardware but weren't sure what to do with it... start watching the install video at about the 17:15 mark.

The OEM tail mount has 2 mounting heights. We got some feedback the Camel Tank's vent fitting was hitting some manufacturers rear cargo racks so we included a second set of mounting holes on the OEM hanger bracket so it can be lowered by 10mm if needed.

I'm going to put a small number of tanks with the OEM mounting brackets in the site right now. We're throttling available inventory at the moment because we're trying to get shipping & receiving moved into our recently acquired second bay but sales have been crazy so it's been a challenge. It's a good problem to have!

So happy you are busy! That is a fantastic problem to have.

I sent an email about the newer bolts, I have an older version of the tank, that goes to the tail tidy. No M8 bolts with the tear drops.

What made you switch the hardware, was there a problem with the strength there?

Mike

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

What made you switch the hardware, was there a problem with the strength there?

Mike

We had to knock the embedded nuts out for the OEM tail version so decided to change the Tail Tidy version hardware too.

There weren't any strength issues but the new hardware does make the kit stronger and it keeps installation for both set ups the same. There aren't any downsides to adding it (other than a bit more time to install it) so it's an easy decision to make.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
9 hours ago, Neil said:

@Camel ADVhttps://www.tenere700.net/topic/1828-t7-camel-tank-389/?do=findComment&comment=28893

I've just ordered the tank with OEM fittings (to Neil in the UK). Does the 90 degree event (as in linked post) come as standard? If possible, I would prefer this with my order.

Many thanks.

All the kits have the 90° fitting. Glenn has an early pre-production version. When we shipped it, the 90° fitting wasn't ready yet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Camel ADV said:

We had to knock the embedded nuts out for the OEM tail version so decided to change the Tail Tidy version hardware too.

There weren't any strength issues but the new hardware does make the kit stronger and it keeps installation for both set ups the same. There aren't any downsides to adding it (other than a bit more time to install it) so it's an easy decision to make.

Very cool. I thought those nuts were actually cast or welded on there, I wold never have guessed they could be knocked off like that. Learn something new every day!

Mike

• Supporting Vendor
1 hour ago, MikeCMP said:

Very cool. I thought those nuts were actually cast or welded on there, I wold never have guessed they could be knocked off like that. Learn something new every day!

Mike

We a similar product in several of our parts, they work well.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my ECU back from  two wheel dyno works Saturday and got the bike back together. Did some riding till I was on reserve on the main tank.

I stopped and filled up both the main and the camel tank. Today, after 80 miles of riding I checked my tanks. I could no longer see the level in the camel tank, and my main tank was nearly full.

pretty happy as that means everything was installed right which is pretty good for me 😀

have to do some more riding to see how the MPG was impacted by the flash.

eager to compare the tank to a Rade tank for a Ktm 690 my friend bought. Going to go over and help him install it, wish me luck 🤪

Mike

Edited by MikeCMP
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the camel tank with tourtech racks? My understanding is the camel exhaust will fit. Would like to swap panniers from bikes when not using soft luggage on the T7

• Supporting Vendor
10 hours ago, Tetched said:

Has anyone tried the camel tank with tourtech racks? My understanding is the camel exhaust will fit. Would like to swap panniers from bikes when not using soft luggage on the T7

The tank and TT racks don't play well together unfortunately.

• Like 1

Thanks. Probably going with the Mosko reckless 80. Using your exhaust, tank, tail tidy, bobble head . Still trying to figure out what to do with the turn sigs. 

• Like 2

Did a shorter weekender camping trip (In the cold) and have to say the camel tank is super awesome, ad works like a charm the whole time. I know corey has to put in all the statements to manage expectations, but I find it draws the fuel out of the aux tank almost immediately and Its nice to have the piece of mind the extra range ives me, and super happy the tank works better than described!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Really stoked with my aux tank installation today.  The vent fitting was a tight fit with my Outback Motortek tail rack but a few washers under the rear bracket and larger holes for the mounting bolts did the trick.  I ran 110 miles today and the fuel still shows full!  Ha Ha.  

Now I've got some range!

IMG-0544 (3).jpg

• Like 4

Any confirmation on if the Camel tank fits underneath the pannier rack from Dirt Racks?

Pannier racks to mount any type of a hard case like Tusk or similar aluminum cases, Pelican cases, ammo cans or use it with soft luggage, or mount rotopax gas can.The rack is symmetrical ...

The pictures make it look like it leaves plenty of extra room, but I'd like to be sure if possible.

Camel ADV website/page doesn't explicitly mention this one for compatible systems.

Thanks.

Edited by TeabagInsurance

• Supporting Vendor
52 minutes ago, TeabagInsurance said:

Any confirmation on if the Camel tank fits underneath the pannier rack from Dirt Racks?

Pannier racks to mount any type of a hard case like Tusk or similar aluminum cases, Pelican cases, ammo cans or use it with soft luggage, or mount rotopax gas can.The rack is symmetrical ...

The pictures make it look like it leaves plenty of extra room, but I'd like to be sure if possible.

Camel ADV website/page doesn't explicitly mention this one for compatible systems.

Thanks.

I've never seen those racks in person so I can't say 100% but I don't see any glaringly obvious trouble spots.

39 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

I've never seen those racks in person so I can't say 100% but I don't see any glaringly obvious trouble spots.

Gotcha. My concern is that looking at the pictures of it, it has a support that mounts to the stock fender, so I'm not sure if it would to work if I picked this up along with the Camel ADV tail tidy. I emailed the company to ask them if they can confirm the mounting capability for tail tidy kits.

If there's a way to make it work, I may order the pannier rack and the Camel auxiliary tank and have some feedback.

• Supporting Vendor
13 hours ago, TeabagInsurance said:

Gotcha. My concern is that looking at the pictures of it, it has a support that mounts to the stock fender, so I'm not sure if it would to work if I picked this up along with the Camel ADV tail tidy. I emailed the company to ask them if they can confirm the mounting capability for tail tidy kits.

If there's a way to make it work, I may order the pannier rack and the Camel auxiliary tank and have some feedback.

I don't think that the cross bar attaches to the tail, I believe it simply runs in front of it. Our Tail Tidy is intentionally longer than the other options so it can be used with the pannier racks still.

2 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

I don't think that the cross bar attaches to the tail, I believe it simply runs in front of it. Our Tail Tidy is intentionally longer than the other options so it can be used with the pannier racks still.

Yup, you are correct. Dirt Racks replied back and said that they do not actually mount to the fender. Photos just make it a bit difficult to tell.

Looks like I’ll be ordering a bunch of stuff from you, most likely including the auxiliary tank. I’ll let you know how it fits when I get the bike. I just put a deposit down on a T7 coming in to Blackfoot Motosports (hopefully next month…).

Just wanted to Rave about the Camel Tank again  - have been riding around, decided to see how far I could go. Got to 247 miles before the reserve light started flashing. put about 4.4 gallons in to both tanks, calculated about 57MPG. Not too bad!

Also, @Camel ADVin case you want to add for your notes, for the SW Motech adventure rack, they make a soft luggage plate that goes on their  rack. I got that plate, and it is compatible with the Camel tank. In case you want to add that to the product page. 

Mike

• Supporting Vendor
19 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

Just wanted to Rave about the Camel Tank again  - have been riding around, decided to see how far I could go. Got to 247 miles before the reserve light started flashing. put about 4.4 gallons in to both tanks, calculated about 57MPG. Not too bad!

Also, @Camel ADVin case you want to add for your notes, for the SW Motech adventure rack, they make a soft luggage plate that goes on their  rack. I got that plate, and it is compatible with the Camel tank. In case you want to add that to the product page. 

Mike

Hey Mike,

Can you post a photo of the soft bar plate mounted please.