Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Camel Tank $389

Camel ADV

1 hour ago, Camel ADV said:

Hey Mike,

Can you post a photo of the soft bar plate mounted please.

Yes, I’ll get a picture for you tomorrow.

Mike

I finally got around to installing the Camel reserve tank onto my T7.

• These are not the factory OEM pannier racks that GIVI makes for YAMAHA.
  • FYI the  Givi Plo2145cam Trekker left side pannier bracket is not compatible with the Camel reserve tank. The right side pannier rack fits around the Camel high mounted exhaust just fine.The left side rack is just too tight against the T7 left side panel. The rear mounting bracket is too close and hangs down too far to clear the reserve tank. The lower front bracket that hangs onto the frame by the left passenger peg cuts inside too much to clear the reserve tank. I'm just going to buy some steel tubing and fabricate new tube hangers to clear the tank and weld them together to make the left pannier frame to fit\clear the reserve tank.

• FYI the Givi - Sr2145 Monokey/Monolock Top Luggage Rack Brackets also do not fit with the reserve tank installed. The top left support bracket has interference from the plastic tank and the 90 degree vent tube. The left bottom support bracket that mounts underneath the rear fender interferes with the plastic tank and also the tank support bracket for the reserve tank. There is still the right side lower bracket that should still fit and support a top case. I plan on also cutting and modifying the left and right bracket together to work with the Givi top plate that I have. Going to try to mount it and inch or so higher to clear the reserve tank.
Edited by REDHORSECA

@Camel ADVhere are a couple pictures of the SW Motech adventure rack with the soft rack added on. Cap is removable, and the rack is not in the way of using the gas pump to fill the tank.

D3844372-397B-4B5E-9D6A-BAECFA3FA1B1.thumb.jpeg.0ca701837b9939e71497ef8fc9444785.jpegF4137968-90E5-4061-B95D-F178156CB2DE.thumb.jpeg.916000ebb50ecc2c1b9f958818b947c3.jpeg91EFCAF1-0831-436F-9BF2-79F4375A0214.thumb.jpeg.2fe2f6ff8ec97f5749767659711e619e.jpeg5244E35A-4F3C-4D14-ABFA-FA11787CE4C9.thumb.jpeg.8d08bfb0942d713b74f76aa37a4ee566.jpeg

• Like 2

I have to say Camel Adv, Cory, is top notch. Ordered a bunch of upgrades to make the T7 long haul worthy. I goofed up my order on the tail tidy license plate. Cory recognized this and sent me the correct size plate at no charge. Didn't even ask for the other plate mount back. It is shipped back still in its original packaging. High standards at Camel Adv . But most of all,Imho,a hugh amount of Integrity . Thanks Cory, you will no doubt be a hugh success

• Like 5

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, Tetched said:

I have to say Camel Adv, Cory, is top notch. Ordered a bunch of upgrades to make the T7 long haul worthy. I goofed up my order on the tail tidy license plate. Cory recognized this and sent me the correct size plate at no charge. Didn't even ask for the other plate mount back. It is shipped back still in its original packaging. High standards at Camel Adv . But most of all,Imho,a hugh amount of Integrity . Thanks Cory, you will no doubt be a hugh success

I love what I do and want you guys to love you Camel parts!

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

I've filled up my camel tank a few times now. VERY happy with it, excellent bit of kit.
One observation: my fuel reserve (ie flashing last bar) comes on very early. When I refill both tanks, there is still approx. 100 miles of fuel left in the tanks (last time about 3.5 litres in the main tank and 2.5 litres left in the camel tank). So I know the range I can get, but it is a bit disconcerting to have a low fuel warning with so much range left. The refilling rate of the main tank from the camel doesn't seem very linear. Anybody else notice this?

This is in no way a criticism of the camel tank, I have them on 2 different bikes and wholeheartedly recommend them.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

I've filled up my camel tank a few times now. VERY happy with it, excellent bit of kit.
One observation: my fuel reserve (ie flashing last bar) comes on very early. When I refill both tanks, there is still approx. 100 miles of fuel left in the tanks (last time about 3.5 litres in the main tank and 2.5 litres left in the camel tank). So I know the range I can get, but it is a bit disconcerting to have a low fuel warning with so much range left. The refilling rate of the main tank from the camel doesn't seem very linear. Anybody else notice this?

This is in no way a criticism of the camel tank, I have them on 2 different bikes and wholeheartedly recommend them.

Cheers.

Double check your hoses you installed for the camel tank are not pinched and are routed without tight bends. Also, you might want to check your fuel cap is nice and airtight as well. 

Based on what Cory said in his videos I to see similar behavior to you, but I have in fact noted there is little fuel left in my camel tank, and for whatever reason it seems to empty first. 

Mike

Thanks MikeCMP, I will check the hoses, but the fuel seems to be transferring OK, just not in a linear manner. I might strap on a rotopax and run the bike until it stops and see if the camel  tank has run dry. If the fuel is transferring, then the early warning of "low fuel" isn't really a problem, just something to be aware of.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

Thanks MikeCMP, I will check the hoses, but the fuel seems to be transferring OK, just not in a linear manner. I might strap on a rotopax and run the bike until it stops and see if the camel  tank has run dry. If the fuel is transferring, then the early warning of "low fuel" isn't really a problem, just something to be aware of.

Good idea, my light comes on at about 247 miles,  about a gallon left in the main tank. can get about 1.2 or more in the camel tank depending on how the bike is leaned over and the pump, some are easier to top off with a slower flow, some are just ALL ON or ALL OFF which is annoying. 

Worthwhile just to make sure the vent hose coming off the main tank has a nice gentle bend in it and is not kinking at all, that hose is rather thin.

I'm assuming you have the black tank? Are you running in hot temperatures? 

Mike

Black tank, but I'm in the UK, so definitely NOT running in hot temperatures! Haha. Wet, yes, but not hot. I'll check all hoses when I get back from work. I'm guessing the fuel cap is sealing to form a vacuum OK, because if it wasn't, the fuel wouldn't transfer at all?
I think it's all good, just a quirk that I need to get used to. 

• Supporting Vendor

@Neil

We did a video a few years ago that explained the transfer process and why things happen the way they do. The video is very low quality and we REALLY need to do a new one.

If your main tank cap doesn't have a 100% seal, you will have dodgy fuel transfer. If that leak is big enough, then you won't have any vacuum at all. No vacuum, no transfer. Partial vacuum, partial transfer.

• Like 1

Thanks Cory. I spoke to my Yamaha dealer who checked the notifications and recalls on the T700; nothing about fuel cap seals and I've no reason to doubt them. They said they can order and replace my seal under warranty anyway in case there is something wrong with mine. 
I've checked all hoses and all looks good. I'm still not sure there is actually a problem as I haven't tried running until dry yet. I'll update this as and when I learn anything more.

cheers

These fuel caps have a questionable reputation for fully sealing, @Neil. Mine leaked if the bike was dropped with more than half a tank. Yamaha offered a new one under warranty & it was no better, so I passed & created a homemade solution. (Covered in tech tips) Not running a camel tank yet, but my repair definitely solved the leaking (& any resultant lack of vacuum).
   Try laying the bike down with a full tank to investigate. Apply some uneven pressure to the cap while doing so....just have a rag ready to mop up.

Thanks Hammerhead; I just read through that and will give it a go. You don't know the size of the O ring by any chance? I'll try and pick some up on the way home from work.

1 hour ago, Hammerhead said:

These fuel caps have a questionable reputation for fully sealing, @Neil. Mine leaked if the bike was dropped with more than half a tank. Yamaha offered a new one under warranty & it was no better, so I passed & created a homemade solution. (Covered in tech tips) Not running a camel tank yet, but my repair definitely solved the leaking (& any resultant lack of vacuum).
   Try laying the bike down with a full tank to investigate. Apply some uneven pressure to the cap while doing so....just have a rag ready to mop up.

I need to add the extra o-ring just to be certain as well - I have a hood tank bag that keeps pressure on my cap, which is probably why it stays sealed 🙂

Mike

8 hours ago, Neil said:

Thanks Hammerhead; I just read through that and will give it a go. You don't know the size of the O ring by any chance? I'll try and pick some up on the way home from work.

No sorry, can’t remember. I took the cap in to help me find the right size. Halving it accurately was a bit of a job. Used “seal all” to bond it. 

8 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

I need to add the extra o-ring just to be certain as well - I have a hood tank bag that keeps pressure on my cap, which is probably why it stays sealed 🙂

Mike

Ya, mine adds pressure only to the back side of the cap. They can leak profusely if the pressure is uneven & soak your tank bag. Luckily I saw it coming & made the fix before that happened. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update: I did (a slightly modified version of...) Hammerheads tank cap mod. The camel tank is transferring the fuel perfectly now; works like a dream. So, a big thank you to Hammerhead and Cory! 👍🍻

• Supporting Vendor
51 minutes ago, Neil said:

Just to update: I did (a slightly modified version of...) Hammerheads tank cap mod. The camel tank is transferring the fuel perfectly now; works like a dream. So, a big thank you to Hammerhead and Cory! 👍🍻

On 5/28/2021 at 6:11 AM, Neil said:

Thanks Cory. I spoke to my Yamaha dealer who checked the notifications and recalls on the T700; nothing about fuel cap seals and I've no reason to doubt them. They said they can order and replace my seal under warranty anyway in case there is something wrong with mine. 
I've checked all hoses and all looks good. I'm still not sure there is actually a problem as I haven't tried running until dry yet. I'll update this as and when I learn anything more.

cheers

I can't tell you how many times I've been to dealers for issues on various bikes and have been told, "We've never heard of that problem", then look online and extremely common. Perhaps they haven't seen it before or maybe they are toeing the company line. Regardless, I'm glad you have it sorted out.

• Like 1

Went to line up my camel tank just now before installing it and unfortunately it will not mount with my DirtRacks setup.

The underside mounting bracket from the rear rack blocks it as well as the rear cross-section support for the pannier rack also blocks it.

image0.thumb.jpeg.cb872458a34f6f2539ed47f004106998.jpeg

😞

• 2 months later...

Has anyone fitted this Camel tank with the OEM engine protection bars? The tank works fine but when I add the brackets, I find there is no room for the pipe to go across the bike? Any help appreciated. Thanks 

On 9/9/2021 at 9:59 PM, Treps said:

Has anyone fitted this Camel tank with the OEM engine protection bars? The tank works fine but when I add the brackets, I find there is no room for the pipe to go across the bike? Any help appreciated. Thanks 

anyone? 

• 1 month later...

@Camel ADVAny thoughts for additional fuel tank on the right side of the bike?

I understand that I will not be compatible with my Camel adv exhaust mod. But for a less frequent off road rider like me mileage has a higher priority.

I would be in favour of using 2 rear side tanks, instead of topping up the main fuel tank. The current problem on buying 2 kits is the design is not symmetrical on verical axis plus the gas inlet. I guess it needs a mirror of the current design.

• Supporting Vendor
5 hours ago, snpl said:

@Camel ADVAny thoughts for additional fuel tank on the right side of the bike?

I understand that I will not be compatible with my Camel adv exhaust mod. But for a less frequent off road rider like me mileage has a higher priority.

I would be in favour of using 2 rear side tanks, instead of topping up the main fuel tank. The current problem on buying 2 kits is the design is not symmetrical on verical axis plus the gas inlet. I guess it needs a mirror of the current design.

From a function stand point, I like what you're suggesting but I think there were be very few riders looking for what you're describing. I don't feel we'd sell very many.

2 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

From a function stand point, I like what you're suggesting but I think there were be very few riders looking for what you're describing. I don't feel we'd sell very many.

I understand.

I really hope that with the release of the ducati desert x production model the idea of a dual rear tank will gain more inertia..