Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Camel Tank $389

Camel ADV

• Supporting Vendor
17 minutes ago, snpl said:

I understand.

I really hope that with the release of the ducati desert x production model the idea of a dual rear tank will gain more inertia..

I see the triple tanks in the Desert X concept version. I have my doubts that will make it to the production version though.

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• 1 month later...

Just to revive a bit the topic of the right side tank since yamaha raid prototype looks like adopting this solution also. Any further thoughts @Camel ADV?

yamaha-lifts-the-veils-off-the-tenere-70

10 minutes ago, snpl said:

Just to revive a bit the topic of the right side tank since yamaha raid prototype looks like adopting this solution also. Any further thoughts @Camel ADV?

This marries you to the low/ wide exhaust & yet requires some new fangled mounting method. Can’t see any simple solutions for our production model bikes. The Camel got way out ahead of the Yamel on this one. 

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
11 hours ago, snpl said:

When bikes are offered with larger tanks from the factory, it kills demand for the aftermarket solutions. Generally speaking, the people that want more range simply go for the bigger tank option from the factory. We've experienced this with the Camel Tanks for the F800GS when the F800GSA came out and when the Africa Twin Adventure Sports model arrived with a bigger tank. It may not always be like that, there may be exceptions. If Yamaha all the sudden has a 6-7 gallon T7 available, most of people that want the extra range will simply sell their standard T7 and buy the new version.

We will have to wait and see what Yamaha actually brings to market. The text that rolls across the bottom of their video has a lot of "Imagines maybe photoshopped, production version may not be the same as shown" etc. Obviously, it's not going to hit dealership floors with a roadbook holder and ICOs installed but I'm guessing there will be some more significant changes too. Hopefully it retains the 48mm KYB SSS forks and long travel shock.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

When bikes are offered with larger tanks from the factory, it kills demand for the aftermarket solutions. Generally speaking, the people that want more range simply go for the bigger tank option from the factory. We've experienced this the Camel Tanks for the F800GS when the F800GSA came out and when the Africa Twin Adventure Sports model arrived with a bigger tank. It may not always be like that, there may be exceptions. If Yamaha all the sudden has a 6-7 gallon T7 available, most of people that want the extra range will simply sell their standard T7 and buy the new version.

We will have to wait and see what Yamaha actually brings to market. The text that rolls across the bottom of their video has a lot of "Imagines maybe photoshopped, production version may not be the same as shown" etc. Obviously, it's not going to hit dealership floors with a roadbook holder and ICOs installed but I'm guessing there will be some more significant changes too. Hopefully it retains the 48mm KYB SSS forks and long travel shock.

I have a feeling the 48mm KYB forks option will be a thing, along with the bolt on rear subframe that was in the prototype , but I fear it may come with all kinds of other heavy shet that I’m not interested in.  We will see. It will be a couple years at least due to the shipping delays and backlog. But damn I want that rear subframe and 48 mm forks!!

• Like 2

Personally I don't think any of this will be offered by Yamaha.  I seriously doubt anything seen on the prototype has much Yamaha involvement except maybe some funding.

Very good chance the small fabrication shop that probably made most of this might come out with several Rally kits for your bike.   Probably with several spec levels depending on how much money you are willing  throw their way.

Camel makes a nice kit to add range for those who want it.  This bike has 4 tanks and the front look much more involved, so how much cash would you need to shell out for just the tanks?  $2000/maybe more and then you need all the little things to make it work.  Stock seat for example will probably not fit the prototype.

Camel would have a better idea than me how much that bike costs, but I am betting way more than double the stock T7 sticker price.  

Money loser for Yamaha.  Support the aftermarket and let then make awesome upgrades for the few people who will spend the money.  All these cool prototype bikes will help keep the stock bikes in demand and rolling off the showroom floors.

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
4 hours ago, williestreet said:

Personally I don't think any of this will be offered by Yamaha.  I seriously doubt anything seen on the prototype has much Yamaha involvement except maybe some funding.

Very good chance the small fabrication shop that probably made most of this might come out with several Rally kits for your bike.   Probably with several spec levels depending on how much money you are willing  throw their way.

Camel makes a nice kit to add range for those who want it.  This bike has 4 tanks and the front look much more involved, so how much cash would you need to shell out for just the tanks?  $2000/maybe more and then you need all the little things to make it work.  Stock seat for example will probably not fit the prototype.

Camel would have a better idea than me how much that bike costs, but I am betting way more than double the stock T7 sticker price.  

Money loser for Yamaha.  Support the aftermarket and let then make awesome upgrades for the few people who will spend the money.  All these cool prototype bikes will help keep the stock bikes in demand and rolling off the showroom floors.

I expect if they bring it out (in whatever trim level)  pricing would be inline with the KTM 890R Rally. I really think they need to offer a better suspension option for those who aren't just using it for "regular" ADV duty. The KTM Rally versions sellout right away and Yamaha is leaving money on the table by not offering a competing model.

We've got a triple clamp/fork lug set up for the KYB SSS so I'm already running those.... they'd be a big hit on an off the showroom floor bike.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 5:37 PM, Camel ADV said:

When bikes are offered with larger tanks from the factory, it kills demand for the aftermarket solutions. Generally speaking, the people that want more range simply go for the bigger tank option from the factory. We've experienced this with the Camel Tanks for the F800GS when the F800GSA came out and when the Africa Twin Adventure Sports model arrived with a bigger tank. It may not always be like that, there may be exceptions. If Yamaha all the sudden has a 6-7 gallon T7 available, most of people that want the extra range will simply sell their standard T7 and buy the new version.

I think that the raid version will be more or less as is presented and it is aiming a different crowd and a different budget. If the raid version is 8k plus I am not quite sure how many of the current owners would exchange their bike.

Even if the new raid version has interchangeable parts sometimes aftermarket products are better engineered or present a cost effective alternative.

To my opinion I have doubts if all the parts of the raid version  will be interchangeable with the old one. For example and concerning the rear tanks, the raid version looks like it has a bolt on subframe. So support for the tanks might be different than the current model.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 9:19 PM, Camel ADV said:

I see the triple tanks in the Desert X concept version. I have my doubts that will make it to the production version though.

Eventually they did but as an extra accessory. Looks like on piece going both sides with 8lt capacity.

spacer.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snpl said:

Eventually they did but as an extra accessory. Looks like on piece going both sides with 8lt capacity.

spacer.png

yup, kinda neat how they did it.image.thumb.png.153bac6d7755bee5dc54c7f6c9a049f9.png

image.thumb.png.9bd7d988d4d2e1a9e99878aadf8f6153.png

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, TimmyTheHog said:

yup, kinda neat how they did it.image.thumb.png.153bac6d7755bee5dc54c7f6c9a049f9.png

image.thumb.png.9bd7d988d4d2e1a9e99878aadf8f6153.png

Do you have a link? I'm not seeing many details about it on the Ducati site. 

On 12/11/2021 at 2:55 AM, Camel ADV said:

Not alot of info yet online. But you can check it better on the online configurator :

dsx-dsx-ngw-22-97780131aa-ee-01-103.png?

Configurez votre DesertX

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 5:55 PM, Camel ADV said:

sorry was sick the whole weekend so didn't get a change to go online.

But yes, as snpl said, configurator is the best for that info right now....until further notice.

• 3 months later...

Question on the camel tank. Have one installed and love it. Will the camel tank still work with the Acerbis for the T7 ? Know it needs vacuum to work. Just wondering about the vent/vacuum connections to the Acerbis . I would so much like to have 300+ range without external tanks. I travel desolate places on this orb and anything external is always a liability. 

Cheers,

Tetched

I would imagine the Acerbis vent will have to be plugged.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• Supporting Vendor
43 minutes ago, Tetched said:

Question on the camel tank. Have one installed and love it. Will the camel tank still work with the Acerbis for the T7 ? Know it needs vacuum to work. Just wondering about the vent/vacuum connections to the Acerbis . I would so much like to have 300+ range without external tanks. I travel desolate places on this orb and anything external is always a liability. 

Cheers,

Tetched

There are a couple easy-ish options for plumbing the Camel Tank into the larger aftermarket main tanks.

1) If the main tank has a vent barb on the fuel cap, you can simply plumb the fuel line from the Camel Tank to that barb. The downside is that when you spin the main cap off, you need to make sure the the fuel line is spinning on the barb so the hose doesn't get twisted. If you have a tank bag that sits over the fuel cap, then this method won't work as the fuel hose will be kinked, that will create a vacuum lock, no fuel will transfer and if it gets bad enough, it can cause your bike to stall.

2) You can drill a hole in the top of main tank and install a bulkhead fitting, then a barb fitting into it. You can also do it without the bulkhead fitting, simply by using an NPT tap, NPT barb fitting and petrol rated teflon tape. This new hole needs to be above the fuel level. The fitting can be into the side of the tank but at the top of that side. You'd have to plug the vent on the main tank's cap or you'd lose all of you vacuum and nothing would transfer.

Before you bust out the drill and add a hole in your fuel tank, make sure you know what you're getting into. My comments above are in no way a DIY tutorial. Tanks are HDPE or XLPE and are notoriously tough to patch if you end up putting the hole in the wrong spot. Proceed with caution!

I would be hesitant to drill into the tank not knowing the thickness and hardness of the tank. Even with a NPT I couldn't imagine more than a couple threads. Making a 90° off of the vent cap would be the way to go for someone as inept as myself. Looks like the giant loop diablo and fandango bags would be the ticket. I'm going to the drawing board to see what I can come up with. Your videos on installation of your products are top notch Cory. Of coarse, still waiting on the Acerbis tank lol. Doing the NEBDR last week of May 1st of June. Then off to Tuk and Dead Horse 1st of July so probably nothing on this till fall. 

Cheers, 

Tetched

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the Camel tank would fit with the Altrider rear rack. It has mounting points that wrap up from under the rear fender. 

• Supporting Vendor
On 5/29/2022 at 10:37 AM, Coyote49632 said:

Does anyone know if the Camel tank would fit with the Altrider rear rack. It has mounting points that wrap up from under the rear fender. 

They won't play well together. The Altrider brackets will contact the tank unfortunately.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Will the tank work well with no side racks? What if I tip over, will the tank be destroyed?

Also does the rear rack matter?

• Supporting Vendor

The tank will not be destroyed in a tip over... they are very durable!

The rear cargo rack does matter. Some brands have support tubes that run right through the area that our fuel cap and vent fitting are in. Something to keep in mind when rack shopping.

God I love these.  If only I could mount one along with my Heed rear crash bars, I'd buy one tonight.  So cool.  Sadly, the rear bars have definitely been worth mounting, as my estimation of my riding ability far outstrips said actual ability.  Or at least my good sense to know when something isn't going to end well.  "Oh, a goat ran up there, I can totally throw my T7 up there too!" 

It's frustrating how fitting stuff around those undertail bolts is so fiddly.  Wish there were more mounting points available.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 4:05 AM, Camel ADV said:

The tank will not be destroyed in a tip over... they are very durable!

The rear cargo rack does matter. Some brands have support tubes that run right through the area that our fuel cap and vent fitting are in. Something to keep in mind when rack shopping.

Do you think this rack would fit?

DSC01906.jpgDSC02185.jpg?fit=600,400&ssl=1DSC01907.jpg?fit=600,900&ssl=1

The price is too good to pass up here in Europe.

If you don't think it would fit, do you know what racks would be ok with the tank? Ordering the tank either way. Just want a good rack so I can tie my soft luggage.

Edited by SamiNami

• Supporting Vendor
12 hours ago, SamiNami said:

Do you think this rack would fit?

DSC01906.jpgDSC02185.jpg?fit=600,400&ssl=1DSC01907.jpg?fit=600,900&ssl=1

The price is too good to pass up here in Europe.

If you don't think it would fit, do you know what racks would be ok with the tank? Ordering the tank either way. Just want a good rack so I can tie my soft luggage.

I don't see any issues with that one.