Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Camel ADV T7 High Mount Exhaust

Camel ADV

• Supporting Vendor

Sample mufflers started showing up yesterday. Both Black Widow mufflers we tried are a great fit. It's likely that most of their universal mufflers would fit well.

Both of these mufflers are:

• Listed as 300mm length
  • Made of 304 stainless steel
  • Shipped with a removable db killer baffler
  • Compatible with our spark arrestor 

The SC30H is a larger diameter muffler than the UN30H. The SC has a carbon fibre end cap where as the UN is all stainless.

I tried to get sound bites of both but it's really tough to get good quality audio at exhaust volume. Both sound great with the baffles in and both are way too loud for my tastes with the baffle out.

Black Widow SC30H

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/300mm-hexagonal-stainless-carbon-tip-slip-on-silencer-34358-p.asp

IMG_1260.thumb.JPG.d85e41b65cd7570396d3cb72c8640091.JPGIMG_1262.thumb.JPG.19db8848b6ce436eba842813271562dc.JPGIMG_1261.thumb.JPG.5f47057c4cd2c79a8b4017b869f00bae.JPG

The Black Widow UN30H is also a good fit.

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/300mm-hexagonal-stainless-slip-on-silencer-38527-p.asp

IMG_1263.thumb.JPG.c257092ef1d1cf43f706a1560ff6210d.JPGIMG_1265.thumb.JPG.9169d61a84c54d5d6bb79bae8b402001.JPGIMG_1264.thumb.JPG.3bd6fe7c9ab5e8fa435bc6cd4f49bdb9.JPG

• Like 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

The first black widow posted looks very similar to the one you include with your kit. Is the quality/fit/finish noticeably better on the BW, or do they look and feel about the same in person? 

Serbia-based T7 rally owner here. Great to read through all this info, I feel thoroughly educated. I have a question not related to the legality of the muffler, but with regards to possible MOT/inspection issues arising from cutting the original mount. I seem to remember reading that *someone*, *somewhere* mentioned it might be tricky with the strict TÜV inspection, but I can’t remember if there was any clarification around it. Even if an extra 20 euros can ‘make things happen’, just want to check!

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
9 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

The first black widow posted looks very similar to the one you include with your kit. Is the quality/fit/finish noticeably better on the BW, or do they look and feel about the same in person? 

The build quality is definitely higher on the Black Widow muffler... they are more money too though.

• Supporting Vendor
7 hours ago, TheBrunse said:

Serbia-based T7 rally owner here. Great to read through all this info, I feel thoroughly educated. I have a question not related to the legality of the muffler, but with regards to possible MOT/inspection issues arising from cutting the original mount. I seem to remember reading that *someone*, *somewhere* mentioned it might be tricky with the strict TÜV inspection, but I can’t remember if there was any clarification around it. Even if an extra 20 euros can ‘make things happen’, just want to check!

There have been a lot comments/fear about the about the issues that could arise from cutting the exhaust hanger. We've sold hundreds of kits without a single report of anyone actually having an issue with insurance, licensing, inspections etc... well, that's not entirely true. Someone claimed their insurance company wouldn't insure the bike with the kit installed so they wanted their money back (while keeping the kit). I politely asked them to email the correspondance from the from the insurance company and never heard from them again. No shortage of photos of the kit installed on their bike, on all sorts of adventures posted on Instagram though. You can draw your own conclusions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

The build quality is definitely higher on the Black Widow muffler... they are more money too though.

Thanks. I’m ok with spending a bit more as long as they actually are higher quality. One last question about it….does that big tacky black widow label peel off easily or is it riveted on or similar? Thanks for your honest opinion. 

Edited by ManBearPig
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

There have been a lot comments/fear about the about the issues that could arise from cutting the exhaust hanger. We've sold hundreds of kits without a single report of anyone actually having an issue with insurance, licensing, inspections etc... well, that's not entirely true. Someone claimed their insurance company wouldn't insure the bike with the kit installed so they wanted their money back (while keeping the kit). I politely asked them to email the correspondance from the from the insurance company and never heard from them again. No shortage of photos of the kit installed on their bike, on all sorts of adventures posted on Instagram though. You can draw your own conclusions.

Haha, good to know. Cheeky buggers will always be cheeky buggers. I'm liking the look of the Carbon Black Widow muffler on their site, encouraging to see they are a good fit.

• Like 1

Got my Wings exhaust installed using the new high exhaust kit. Was a ton of work and I wasn't able to get the link pipe all the way into the Wings can. A blowtorch helped expand the collar a little and got me a few mm but not enough. I've got the clamp covering the 3 small holes (about 2 mm diameter) now and I hope there's no leaks.

I'm disappointed that I dinged the Wings in a couple of places when wrestling with it. One of the dings on the metal got covered up by the exhaust holder, though. The other one is on the carbon fiber and not too visible either. I do wish it was a simpler install, though - ended up spending many hours on it. Overall I like the lines but right from the back and front the lines could be better. Maybe I could have gotten it to line up better by rotating the link pipe a little, but no way I was going to go through all the pain again. BTW, I used an oscillating tool with a carbide blade and it went through the stainless steel and the exhaust hanger super easy. Used a drill to bore out the exhaust hanger hole to 10mm. 

The exhaust seems to sound louder and better with this link pipe (I have the dB killer installed). I left out the turn signal guard because it was fugly. It's a cheapo turn signal from Amazon that I'd like to see melt anyways, since it gave me quite a bit of pain during installation. Let's see if it survives!

28C375D5-337B-4462-9014-88D0A55F02A4.thumb.jpeg.f855719fbb135268d908c429fe9e7d12.jpeg

Does the muffler that comes in the kit have fiberglass packing, or is it a maintenance-free style? I realize it’s not “high-end”, but it’s just a muffler. So long as the sound is not horrible and it’s assembled well enough to survive some bumps and bruises, I think it would serve my purposes. Just want to know if it’s holding up well for others and if it’s serviceable in the future. Thanks!

@Camel ADV Love the amount of R&D you guys do to a product for the customer. I love my High fender kit and High mount exhaust. F@cking outstanding job.

• Like 2

Pain Heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts forever 

• Supporting Vendor
On 9/16/2021 at 7:26 PM, BLZ2DWL said:

Does the muffler that comes in the kit have fiberglass packing, or is it a maintenance-free style? I realize it’s not “high-end”, but it’s just a muffler. So long as the sound is not horrible and it’s assembled well enough to survive some bumps and bruises, I think it would serve my purposes. Just want to know if it’s holding up well for others and if it’s serviceable in the future. Thanks!

The muffler that is included (when we have them in stock) is a serviceable/repackable unit. It is as durable as you would expect a stainless steel muffler to be. The one on our shop bike has been crashed on multiple times and has some minor wounds but is still totally functional. 

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
On 9/11/2021 at 5:02 PM, doniv said:

Got my Wings exhaust installed using the new high exhaust kit. Was a ton of work and I wasn't able to get the link pipe all the way into the Wings can. A blowtorch helped expand the collar a little and got me a few mm but not enough. I've got the clamp covering the 3 small holes (about 2 mm diameter) now and I hope there's no leaks.

I'm disappointed that I dinged the Wings in a couple of places when wrestling with it. One of the dings on the metal got covered up by the exhaust holder, though. The other one is on the carbon fiber and not too visible either. I do wish it was a simpler install, though - ended up spending many hours on it. Overall I like the lines but right from the back and front the lines could be better. Maybe I could have gotten it to line up better by rotating the link pipe a little, but no way I was going to go through all the pain again. BTW, I used an oscillating tool with a carbide blade and it went through the stainless steel and the exhaust hanger super easy. Used a drill to bore out the exhaust hanger hole to 10mm. 

The exhaust seems to sound louder and better with this link pipe (I have the dB killer installed). I left out the turn signal guard because it was fugly. It's a cheapo turn signal from Amazon that I'd like to see melt anyways, since it gave me quite a bit of pain during installation. Let's see if it survives!

28C375D5-337B-4462-9014-88D0A55F02A4.thumb.jpeg.f855719fbb135268d908c429fe9e7d12.jpeg

Hey Vinod,

There's not a lot we can do differently with the Wings situation. Their muffler is 50mm ID, our pipe is 51mm OD. 50mm is an oddball size and we can't get pipe in that diameter. Even if we could, it would not be feasible to make a 50mm version just for existing Wings customers. I'm not sure what the difference is between your Wings and our's but we simply didn't go through the battle installing it that you describe above... there was definitely no blow torch required.  If we had experienced that, we just would have said the Wings not compatible at all.

54 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

The muffler that is included (when we have them in stock) is a serviceable/repackable unit. It is as durable as you would expect a stainless steel muffler to be. The one on our shop bike has been crashed on multiple times and has some minor wounds but is still totally functional. 

Great. Looking forward to ordering one once they are back in stock. 

• Supporting Vendor
On 9/5/2021 at 6:01 PM, ManBearPig said:

Thanks. I’m ok with spending a bit more as long as they actually are higher quality. One last question about it….does that big tacky black widow label peel off easily or is it riveted on or similar? Thanks for your honest opinion. 

I missed this reply earlier. The label isn't installed when you get the pipe, you leave it off if you like. We added it to cut down on the emails asking what muffler was on the bike.

• Moderators

@Camel ADV

Cory,

That carbon Black widow can looks stellar, nice setup!  Also, I know the contest is over, but what was the weight figure for your T7 on the hook?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 8:02 PM, doniv said:

will you sell your turn signal shield?

Just ordered my kit w/o muffler. Not sure which muffler I’ll go with yet but I wanted to get everything else before you sell out again. 

Any other pipes you’ve had a chance to mock up yet?

thanks. 

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

Just ordered my kit w/o muffler. Not sure which muffler I’ll go with yet but I wanted to get everything else before you sell out again. 

Any other pipes you’ve had a chance to mock up yet?

thanks. 

The Black Widows posted above are the best options so far.

• Supporting Vendor
On 9/24/2021 at 8:27 AM, AZJW said:

@Camel ADV

Cory,

That carbon Black widow can looks stellar, nice setup!  Also, I know the contest is over, but what was the weight figure for your T7 on the hook?

454.2lbs

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 2:13 AM, bigjmain said:

will you sell your turn signal shield?

Sure. PM me. On a ride right now; will respond once I'm back. 

Got the high mount and a Black Widow muffler en route. What has anyone done for a spark arrestor for the Black Widow? Can simply safety wire some screen around the DB killer?

Just to throw this in:  Black Widow mufflers sound absolutely amazing on the CP2.  Really, really great.  Definitely going to be great for the Camel kit.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Just to throw this in:  Black Widow mufflers sound absolutely amazing on the CP2.  Really, really great.  Definitely going to be great for the Camel kit.  

I’d second that, I have a black widow and quality and sound are top notch 

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
13 hours ago, BLZ2DWL said:

Got the high mount and a Black Widow muffler en route. What has anyone done for a spark arrestor for the Black Widow? Can simply safety wire some screen around the DB killer?

Our spark arrestor works with the Black Widow.

https://camel-adv.com/collections/yamaha/products/51mm-od-spark-arrestor

• Like 1