Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

I really hate this thing

tene.tales

This thing is awful. Had seen it in other Yamahas but now I am suffering it myself. Why do they make it this way and have me (us?) suffer each and every single time one fills the tank?

It makes it slower to fill, prone to spilling gas and it even prevents you to use available space (less range)(ok, space for gasoline expanding, but...).

Is this an euro thing or everybody gets this tiny hole?

I don't 'need" a bigger tank, but the chance of getting rid of this could make me consider upgrading (once tanks are available).

IMG_20200822_210600949-01.jpeg

Edited by tene.tales
  • Like 2

Agreed. It drives me nuts. As does the cheap and sloppy gas cap. Every time I put my key in the gas cap it makes me want an integrated recessed metal one even if I lost a few ounces of fuel. 

• Like 1

I was asking about this in the thread about the charcoal filter. Wondering if you removed it from the tank vent wether or not it would let it vent or breath better allowing you to top it up faster. 

I've honestly just given up if I know I'm around town but going into the bush you want every last drop! 

1 hour ago, Limey said:

Just punch a hole in the side of the neck.

A1451BB6-9DC5-4544-AD03-60EE28DFA960.jpeg

And this made filling the tank quicker at the end? 

32 minutes ago, 29er said:

And hope it doesn't spark when when cutting.... i wouldn't recommend doing that, but if you do, can you please video it 😂 this i have to see.

Screenshot_2020-08-23-16-32-44-85.jpg

17 hours ago, Fraz's T7 said:

It takes a bit more fuel also.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Limey said:

Just punch a hole in the side of the neck.

A1451BB6-9DC5-4544-AD03-60EE28DFA960.jpeg

So you just took a punch and a hammer and made this hole? 

On 8/22/2020 at 1:42 PM, RobFelicci said:

So my question is Once you go with the Outex and set the rim, Do you install the same OEM Tire or do you have to go with a new  tubeless tire?  Also, Is the SLIME a product that you use with tubes too?

23 hours ago, Fraz's T7 said:

3 hours ago, Baggey22 said:

So you just took a punch and a hammer and made this hole? 

Yes.

• Like 1

Maybe it is because I live in a state that doesn't have those stupid EPA sleeves on the pumps, but I thought this works great. I have no problem with the speed of the fill up, I like the fact that I put the nozzle in the hole and fill it up fast no worries of it splashing, than when it kicks off just pull the nozzle out and top it off. I actually thought it worked real well no issues at all.

Boy, I hear people complain about anything and everything, some real nit-picking going on, it is such a great bike just get on it and ride, what do you really have to complain about.

Think about it, you could be living in Portland and be one of those delusional folks that think we live in a racist nation, than you would have a whole bag of bull to complain about, now that's perspective.

I guess it is just another example of the Bible being right, "the eyes of man are never satisfied."

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 29er said:

Here in the UK the nozzle goes through the larger hole to enable a fast fill up, i get the impression that in other countries this may not be the case, if so, then it would annoy me too.

It fits through the larger hole here in the US, if it didn't I could see were that would be a problem.

Not a problem if you never ride long distance with no fuel available.  If you want to top off its a whole different story.  I run out of fuel and I carry extra msr bottles.  I like/need to top off.  That stupid metal flange is a tool of the devil sent here to torment me.

• Like 1

There was a fella that said an extra 2 litres will fit!  I'm going to try this out as them 2 litres can be precious.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colddog said:

There was a fella that said an extra 2 litres will fit!  I'm going to try this out as them 2 litres can be precious.

I'd like to believe that too, but struggling to. I neck mine right to the brim and struggle to see how an extra 2 l can be added. But be loved to be proven wrong!

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 2

So if you're around town it's fine, fill it to the bottom of the "basket". But like cold dog said that 2L gets you a long way in the bush. And to get it fueled to the brim you have to wait for it to vent out, very slowly. 

I don't think we're all complaining about the bike, it's irritating and so we're trying to find a good solution. So ya Utah, that why baby Jesus invented forums, so we can figure out these silly little things. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Unless you're going to immediately run the tank down, one needs some air space in the tank because when the bike is shut off and the tank vent is shut off (does the T7 have this feature?) and the tank is really full  if the fuel heats up the air absorbs the expansion without rupturing the tank.

At least that's how I've reasoned out why my antique BMW has those features.

I've gotten too old to wait. T7 is off the list.

Opened up the fuel tank breather hole with a good center punch, it lives on the RH side of the filler neck.  Filling the tank right up is now a 2 click process, not the usual minute of filling by the 20 click process!  

• Like 3

Probably a dum question as it certainly didn't happen to Colddog, but could hammering a punch at the filler neck cause a spark?

On 8/29/2020 at 9:17 AM, Wiley said:

Probably a dum question as it certainly didn't happen to Colddog, but could hammering a punch at the filler neck cause a spark?

aluminum is a non ferrous metal, combine with brass and i'm not sure there's any way you can make that spark even if you wanted to. Not a dumb question, better safe than sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some variation of these are in all my street bikes as well. However i was able to remove them easy enough but in the T7 their welded. So no go on removing them on this bike!  Oh well. 

10 hours ago, Fraz's T7 said:

aluminum is a non ferrous metal, combine with brass and i'm not sure there's any way you can make that spark...

Is the tank or filler neck aluminum though?