Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Wobbly front end

Cobb

From new I noticed mine had a head shake on deceleration. Very minimal but there. As the miles have increased so has the shake. I’m adding it up to tire wear since It became most noticeable after a long day of riding and more obvious wear to both front and rear.  I’m at 3500 miles now.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue.

I've noticed the bumping since 0Km, but due my lack of experience i thought it was road defect 🤦‍♂️

Now with 4500Km i went to the dealer.

He inspected the wheel and told me the problem is a defective tire.

Took this pictures to show what the dealer means with defective tire.

It is noticeable in almost every section of the tire with the wearing marks.

IMG_2852.JPG

InkedIMG_2856_LI.jpg

Edited by yobinad
  • Like 3

That's interesting indeed. I get front wobbly if I'm absolutely loaded with rear weight (topcase + pillion) and I lean back when going in a decline. It wobbles a very slight amount, but I've noticed as I put more miles on my tires it's starting to increase. I definitely think it could be either the spokes or the tire itself. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Same issue for me with brand new bike. Changing front tire solved the problem.  Yamaha asked me the tire date of manufacture (20/01 for mine) and sent back tire at Pirelli for a check.

12 hours ago, yobinad said:

@charlyxty the new tire is still a pirelli scorpion or is another?

no I did not take the risk. I chose Michelin Anakee Adventure which have a more road profile which is more my current use and I also changed the rear tire for the same Anakee. 

• Thanks 1

So far I only have the wobble when the tyre pressure is low. 

With the recommended pressure it goes away...

11 minutes ago, Joao B. said:

So far I only have the wobble when the tyre pressure is low. 

With the recommended pressure it goes away...

It was not the case for me, recommended pressure and even higher, wobble was still present...

Edited by charlyxty
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My new T7 also has a wobble in the front. If you take your hands off the handlebars, they are oscillating 1" back and forth. I've got 200 miles on it so far. It has no balancing weights on it, so I took the front wheel off and balanced it on a stand. It took 3/4oz opposite the valve stem to get it in good balance. However, the oscillation is still there. I plan to keep riding to see if the front tire wears in and gets better. If not not, I'll replace it and hope it goes away. Super odd that these tires seem to have this problem from the start. 

Edited by BLZ2DWL

I am 1700 Miles from new, and my 'Front Oscillation' began at 400 Miles, I have checked spokes, all correct as far as I can tell, I have told dealer and will monitor things.

23 hours ago, BLZ2DWL said:

My new T7 also has a wobble in the front. If you take your hands off the handlebars, they are oscillating 1" back and forth. I've got 200 miles on it so far. It has no balancing weights on it, so I took the front wheel off and balanced it on a stand. It took 3/4oz opposite the valve stem to get it in good balance. However, the oscillation is still there. I plan to keep riding to see if the front tire wears in and gets better. If not not, I'll replace it and hope it goes away. Super odd that these tires seem to have this problem from the start. 

I did the exact same thing- no change for me either.  Mine is not super bad but it’s noticeable and shouldn’t be there.  Ive mentioned it to my dealer to have a look at when i’m done using the bike for the season. Now i’m debating if ill just keep using it until replacement or just go ahead and replace it myself non-warranty. I can pick up a tire for under $100 and skip loading it up on a trailer, bringing it to the dealer, go home and go back another day to get it.  Not sure all that hassle is worth it to me. Even then i wont get a tire of my choice either. 

36 minutes ago, DT675 said:

I did the exact same thing- no change for me either.  Mine is not super bad but it’s noticeable and shouldn’t be there.  Ive mentioned it to my dealer to have a look at when i’m done using the bike for the season. Now i’m debating if ill just keep using it until replacement or just go ahead and replace it myself non-warranty. I can pick up a tire for under $100 and skip loading it up on a trailer, bringing it to the dealer, go home and go back another day to get it.  Not sure all that hassle is worth it to me. Even then i wont get a tire of my choice either. 

That's my thought too. I also had to get my T7 from a dealer a few hours away. Tires are disposable, and at $100, its not worth it to me to fool with the dealer.  I just wanted to hear if others have fixed the wobble with a new tire before I went that route. 

Same experience with the stock tire, slight shake disappeared completely with tubeless conversion to the dunlop trailmax mission up front. So far proving to be a quieter & better unit in all conditions on & off road. 

5 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Same experience with the stock tire, slight shake disappeared completely with tubeless conversion to the dunlop trailmax mission up front. So far proving to be a quieter & better unit in all conditions on & off road. 

Love to hear more of your thoughts on the Trailmax tires. I put them on an AT this year, but sold it after about 500 miles, so I didn't get as much experience with them as I wanted. 

10 minutes ago, BLZ2DWL said:

Love to hear more of your thoughts on the Trailmax tires. I put them on an AT this year, but sold it after about 500 miles, so I didn't get as much experience with them as I wanted. 

Only running it up front (motoz GPS out back) & only for the last 800+km. First impression is as stated, much better than stock on & off road, wet or dry. Despite its rather roadish looking 50/50 tread it's been surprisingly good in the dirt, rocks, mud & roots. Stiff enough carcass that it can afford some airing down off road. 

Putting it this way, I just don't think about what the front end is going to do near as much and simply trust it to be predictably there in most conditions. Any tire that lets you forget about it like that is doing a good job in my books. 

Of course, time & further testing will tell if it continues to impress, but so far, it's a thumbs up, not disappointed.

Same problem  different title, it is the tyre! CHANGE IT! There's another thread with the same problem just couldn't find it. One  member was on his third Pirelli OEM Tyre till the problem went away. In the thread below. Did I mention CHANGE THE TYRE? 

Mine wobbled from day one. After a few hundred miles, I put an old Shinko on the front to see if it would help. It is smooth as glass now. I can't believe there are so many new Pirellis with this defect. Easy fix, though. Now....which new tires to get...

Just picked up my bike on Friday.   It has a slight wobble from 0 miles on the clock.    Guess I will be taking it in for a new front tire.   Love the bike otherwise 

Mine wobbled pretty decent on decel when new, I have 1100 miles on it now and the wobble is pretty much gone.

I will see if the tire goes back to wanting to wobble as it ages, as I expect to use this one up before I replace it, just my nature.

Mine wobbled from day 1. It gets worse when the tire pressure gets low. The tire was visibly scalloped when it went in for its 1000km check-up. The dealer says theres no warranty on tires, and that any knobby/offroad tire will wobble.

guess i'm on my own to replace it, but its very annoying.

So how many of you chaps with wobblies have a balanced front wheel?

I ask because I noticed that my bike was handed off to me at the dealer with a balanced front wheel. It has a single pinch-on spoke weight. I wonder if that occurred in Japan or by the dealer during assembly. No weights on the rear wheel. 

3500 miles and bike rolls smooth at any speed. Still have stock Pirellis with recommended pressures.

Just now, Johnnyboxer said:

Yamaha bough me a new one 

More knobbly MT21....now no more wobbles 

It's the tyre - end of 

how do i get yamaha to buy me a new one if the dealer won't even entertain the idea of it?

1 hour ago, ahamay said:

So how many of you chaps with wobblies have a balanced front wheel?

I ask because I noticed that my bike was handed off to me at the dealer with a balanced front wheel. It has a single pinch-on spoke weight. I wonder if that occurred in Japan or by the dealer during assembly. No weights on the rear wheel. 

3500 miles and bike rolls smooth at any speed. Still have stock Pirellis with recommended pressures.

Mine had no balancing weights, so I took it off and balanced it to perfection. Still wobbled just as much. I could spin the tire and see the center of the tread move off center in one section of the tire. Since I put a Shinko 804 on, it's smooth as glass.