Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Cobb

Wobbly front end

Rider 101

$%&^! I just ride mine. Don't know if it is me or the bike wobbling. Wait.........it's me!

Bugger, must stop injecting Jack Daniels.

Seriously?ride it in the dirt and who knows if it is wobbling. I only use tar to link the dirt and good old Oz limits us to 100km/hr and being a law abiding citizen I will never notice wobbling on our pot-hole excuses for a road 🤣

• Haha 1

GPSAT

I chased the wobble issue on my T7 for a couple of months after purchase. My Yamaha dealer assisted me with it. We narrowed it down to a faulty front tire. We replaced it with a MotoZ Tractionator GPS front tire and balanced the wheel... wobble gone. I can ride at highway speeds with no hands... smooth as silk. My wobble was horrible mostly at slower speed and worse when braking heavy.

• Like 1

James 2021 Tenere 700 - Black

Roger  James

From new I noticed mine had a head shake on deceleration. Very minimal but there. As the miles have increased so has the shake. I’m adding it up to tire wear since It became most noticeable after a long day of riding and more obvious wear to both front and rear.  I’m at 3500 miles now.   

vilageidgit62

Thank you Petr Jakubka

Edited by vilageidgit62
  • Thanks 2

yobinad

I have the same issue.

I've noticed the bumping since 0Km, but due my lack of experience i thought it was road defect 🤦‍♂️

Now with 4500Km i went to the dealer.

He inspected the wheel and told me the problem is a defective tire.

Took this pictures to show what the dealer means with defective tire.

It is noticeable in almost every section of the tire with the wearing marks.

IMG_2852.JPG

InkedIMG_2856_LI.jpg

Edited by yobinad
  • Like 3

loneranger700

That's interesting indeed. I get front wobbly if I'm absolutely loaded with rear weight (topcase + pillion) and I lean back when going in a decline. It wobbles a very slight amount, but I've noticed as I put more miles on my tires it's starting to increase. I definitely think it could be either the spokes or the tire itself. 

charlyxty

Hi, 

Same issue for me with brand new bike. Changing front tire solved the problem.  Yamaha asked me the tire date of manufacture (20/01 for mine) and sent back tire at Pirelli for a check.

yobinad

@charlyxty the new tire is still a pirelli scorpion or is another?

charlyxty
12 hours ago, yobinad said:

@charlyxty the new tire is still a pirelli scorpion or is another?

no I did not take the risk. I chose Michelin Anakee Adventure which have a more road profile which is more my current use and I also changed the rear tire for the same Anakee. 

• Thanks 1

Joao B.

So far I only have the wobble when the tyre pressure is low. 

With the recommended pressure it goes away...

charlyxty
11 minutes ago, Joao B. said:

So far I only have the wobble when the tyre pressure is low. 

With the recommended pressure it goes away...

It was not the case for me, recommended pressure and even higher, wobble was still present...

Edited by charlyxty
  • Like 1

BLZ2DWL

My new T7 also has a wobble in the front. If you take your hands off the handlebars, they are oscillating 1" back and forth. I've got 200 miles on it so far. It has no balancing weights on it, so I took the front wheel off and balanced it on a stand. It took 3/4oz opposite the valve stem to get it in good balance. However, the oscillation is still there. I plan to keep riding to see if the front tire wears in and gets better. If not not, I'll replace it and hope it goes away. Super odd that these tires seem to have this problem from the start. 

Edited by BLZ2DWL

Spelldrummer

I am 1700 Miles from new, and my 'Front Oscillation' began at 400 Miles, I have checked spokes, all correct as far as I can tell, I have told dealer and will monitor things.

DT675
23 hours ago, BLZ2DWL said:

My new T7 also has a wobble in the front. If you take your hands off the handlebars, they are oscillating 1" back and forth. I've got 200 miles on it so far. It has no balancing weights on it, so I took the front wheel off and balanced it on a stand. It took 3/4oz opposite the valve stem to get it in good balance. However, the oscillation is still there. I plan to keep riding to see if the front tire wears in and gets better. If not not, I'll replace it and hope it goes away. Super odd that these tires seem to have this problem from the start. 

I did the exact same thing- no change for me either.  Mine is not super bad but it’s noticeable and shouldn’t be there.  Ive mentioned it to my dealer to have a look at when i’m done using the bike for the season. Now i’m debating if ill just keep using it until replacement or just go ahead and replace it myself non-warranty. I can pick up a tire for under $100 and skip loading it up on a trailer, bringing it to the dealer, go home and go back another day to get it.  Not sure all that hassle is worth it to me. Even then i wont get a tire of my choice either. 

2013 Triumph Street Triple - 2013 Triumph Daytona track bike - 2017 Honda CRF250L 

BLZ2DWL
36 minutes ago, DT675 said:

I did the exact same thing- no change for me either.  Mine is not super bad but it’s noticeable and shouldn’t be there.  Ive mentioned it to my dealer to have a look at when i’m done using the bike for the season. Now i’m debating if ill just keep using it until replacement or just go ahead and replace it myself non-warranty. I can pick up a tire for under $100 and skip loading it up on a trailer, bringing it to the dealer, go home and go back another day to get it.  Not sure all that hassle is worth it to me. Even then i wont get a tire of my choice either. 

That's my thought too. I also had to get my T7 from a dealer a few hours away. Tires are disposable, and at $100, its not worth it to me to fool with the dealer.  I just wanted to hear if others have fixed the wobble with a new tire before I went that route. 

Hammerhead

Same experience with the stock tire, slight shake disappeared completely with tubeless conversion to the dunlop trailmax mission up front. So far proving to be a quieter & better unit in all conditions on & off road. 

BLZ2DWL
5 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Same experience with the stock tire, slight shake disappeared completely with tubeless conversion to the dunlop trailmax mission up front. So far proving to be a quieter & better unit in all conditions on & off road. 

Love to hear more of your thoughts on the Trailmax tires. I put them on an AT this year, but sold it after about 500 miles, so I didn't get as much experience with them as I wanted. 

Hammerhead
10 minutes ago, BLZ2DWL said:

Love to hear more of your thoughts on the Trailmax tires. I put them on an AT this year, but sold it after about 500 miles, so I didn't get as much experience with them as I wanted. 

Only running it up front (motoz GPS out back) & only for the last 800+km. First impression is as stated, much better than stock on & off road, wet or dry. Despite its rather roadish looking 50/50 tread it's been surprisingly good in the dirt, rocks, mud & roots. Stiff enough carcass that it can afford some airing down off road. 

Putting it this way, I just don't think about what the front end is going to do near as much and simply trust it to be predictably there in most conditions. Any tire that lets you forget about it like that is doing a good job in my books. 

Of course, time & further testing will tell if it continues to impress, but so far, it's a thumbs up, not disappointed.

Johnnyboxer
On 11/10/2020 at 4:40 PM, BLZ2DWL said:

It’s the tyre, a new different type of tyre will cure it immediately

Change it and it will be gone

Yamaha bought me a new tyre, of my choice - a Pirelli MT21 

A214CE03-B789-454A-A710-D0D187D2D365.jpeg

Edited by Johnnyboxer

Louis

Same problem  different title, it is the tyre! CHANGE IT! There's another thread with the same problem just couldn't find it. One  member was on his third Pirelli OEM Tyre till the problem went away. In the thread below. Did I mention CHANGE THE TYRE? 

BLZ2DWL

Mine wobbled from day one. After a few hundred miles, I put an old Shinko on the front to see if it would help. It is smooth as glass now. I can't believe there are so many new Pirellis with this defect. Easy fix, though. Now....which new tires to get...

Vegas Rider

Just picked up my bike on Friday.   It has a slight wobble from 0 miles on the clock.    Guess I will be taking it in for a new front tire.   Love the bike otherwise 

jdk2man

Same here. 0 miles upward, slight wobble. Hopefully it is just the tire.

wb22rules

Mine wobbled pretty decent on decel when new, I have 1100 miles on it now and the wobble is pretty much gone.

I will see if the tire goes back to wanting to wobble as it ages, as I expect to use this one up before I replace it, just my nature.

CasualADV

Mine wobbled from day 1. It gets worse when the tire pressure gets low. The tire was visibly scalloped when it went in for its 1000km check-up. The dealer says theres no warranty on tires, and that any knobby/offroad tire will wobble.

guess i'm on my own to replace it, but its very annoying.