Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Seat comfort.

Goldentaco

Let's hope that someone from Yamaha sees the issues people are having with the seat comfort or lack of it & make it better on the next revised Tenere 700.

40 minutes ago, Adventure6965 said:

Let's hope that someone from Yamaha sees the issues people are having with the seat comfort or lack of it & make it better on the next revised Tenere 700.

I couldn't agree more. Let's hope someone from Yamaha sees all the massive piles of farkles, adds, removes and changes and thinks, we could build a bike like that. Add in some bearing grease, and it would sell.   👌

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johnnygolucky said:

Wow. I swear Im the only one on here that thinks the stock seat is absolutely awesome. 

I totally agree with you. The seat is fine. Stand up on the pegs when things are rough, that’s what this bike is designed for. 
Maybe it’s because I’m used to flat, rock hard mx seats. T7 seat is like a couch by comparison.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fuz71 said:

I totally agree with you. The seat is fine. Stand up on the pegs when things are rough, that’s what this bike is designed for. 
Maybe it’s because I’m used to flat, rock hard mx seats. T7 seat is like a couch by comparison.

Exactly man. Every single bike I've owned for the last 30 years has been a single cylinder reved out 2x4. And thats exactly how I describe this thing to my friends, it's like riding a fast couch. LOL

I'm glad I made it to the T7 forum.

So much helpful information.

All I have to to do next time I'm on a 150km stretch of freeway doing 120km/h for an hour or so, is to just stand up on the pegs the whole way man lol.

Pain be gone !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ah anyways, the older I get the better I was, it's surely not all down to the seat, I've just gotta sort it out.

Seat mod complete, used 2 gel inserts which cover entire seat surface, cut down original seat foam at rear by 20mm then going forward from there tapered cut to zero depth, then placed second gel in front and cut the edges to fit taper of front edge of seat.

Result is reduced upward angle of rear part of seat and a bit more width without raising the height by much at all, original seat cover fits back on with a bit of effort but very happy with appearance and fit, unfortunately pouring rain today and can't test ride.

IMG_20200920_103248643.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Stevoh, I'd love some more details on your seat mod, planning something very similar to mine when my seat gel turns up.

11 minutes ago, Homer said:

Hi Stevoh, I'd love some more details on your seat mod, planning something very similar to mine when my seat gel turns up.

No problem, it's a pretty easy job, managed to get a ride in this arvo, did about 45 mins and I'm very relieved to say I think I've nailed it, no tailbone pain.

Let me know when your gel arrives.

Did you order 2 gels or 1?

That's the right one, but I used 2 pieces.

You can do it with one, I was needing two pieces to achieve what I needed, the problem for me was the angle of the seat, not so much the density.or softness.

In fact.it isn't any softer.

Updated the additional padding and removed the 1/4” pads.  I can now flat foot the std seat (5’ 11”).😜

3D003DB9-45F8-480A-BDFA-52D1316FCC42.jpeg

• Like 3

2021 White T7, 2019 MT-7, 2021 CRF300 Rally, ‘14 V-Strom 1000 Adventure

On 9/16/2020 at 5:38 PM, johnnygolucky said:

Wow. I swear Im the only one on here that thinks the stock seat is absolutely awesome. 

Nope.  I just rode 10 days, over 3000 miles and no once thought the seat was awful.  I stood a bit when on my 3-day ride back home at over 80,.  Try a stock F800GS seat.  the damn thing is crowned...makes no sense..

To Yamaha I say focus on standardizing fastener sizes and types.

Just added an air cushion to my seat, ordered it on eBay way before I decided to do seat mod, it took so long to arrive I'd almost forgotten I'd bought it, anyways I've attached it and given it a go, feels a bit weird at first but I think it will be really helpful on a longer road ride and pretty much useless on the dirt.

You need to run it with very little air in it, it's a China cheapy, I imagine the Airhawk type would be even better, on top of the standard seat it seems to raise the height to just shy of the rally seat height.

IMG_20200926_104955097.jpg

IMG_20200926_105001524.jpg

On 9/24/2020 at 7:10 AM, Tom McDonough said:

Updated the additional padding and removed the 1/4” pads.  I can now flat foot the std seat (5’ 11”).😜

3D003DB9-45F8-480A-BDFA-52D1316FCC42.jpeg

Thanks for the inspiration again, I've actually gone the other way and put bigger pads to replace the 1/4"ones, the result is perfect it raised the middle of the seat so now it's pretty much flat with the seat mod.

👍👍👍👍😀

• Like 1

The standard seat is pretty good, the bikes not a BMW cruiser with a massive seat for fat arses however the whole bike is a blank canvas, you can turn it into anything you want.Horses for courses.:)

• Haha 1

I am also one who likes the stock standard seat. Firm but not too much. Prior bikes have been Yamaha TDM 850, XS 650. 

I toured much on the TDM and found the ergos and seat bad for me. Expected to hate the T7 seat, but found it not too bad at all. Tried sheepskins on other bikes, but they were sheared short and not much relief. 

Wooden Beadrider seat cover and I am fine. I have some clamp on highway pegs to install on the crashbars so I can change my leg position every now and then. I am expecting a very comfy long legged travel machine.

• 2 weeks later...

I throw on an Airhawk seat for longer rides and its awesome. No numb bum or sore tailbone problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DazR said:

I throw on an Airhawk seat for longer rides and its awesome. No numb bum or sore tailbone problems.

Which Airhawk model do you use?

Thanks.

Went for a run to Newcastle on Saturday, seat mod is just so much better, no pain, but seat did get a little hard after  2 hrs or so, tried my eBay airseat for a bit it has some benefits, but found around town on cornering just felt so weird I took it off, I'll definitely look into an Airhawk though.

I used my Airhawk 2on a trip to Cameron Corner on my old Tenere 660 a couple of years ago and it saved my butt.  You can do big k's and hours on the bike and dont feel it.  Its great. Its all to do with how little air you put in it.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/16/2020 at 11:56 AM, Tom McDonough said:

If you want to soften the stock seat and relieve pressure on your tailbone . . . cut a section of the seat pan (via a razor knife).  Works great for me.  If needed, I can add foam padding under the the cut area if the foam sinks too much on long trips.  You can start with 2”-3” cut and lengthen as needed.  I am 195lbs . . . thought I needed a wider seat.  This may be all I need . . . I can still add a sheepskin pad to widen the load for longer trips .

This mod also worked on the firm seat foam of my V2.

3A49D334-D11A-4BC3-B0CB-C4888BA19043.jpeg

A763B61C-6E9C-4004-A913-2981A2E12D8E.jpeg

Yes, pain in the arse. Literally. Just moded seat base as shown. Sun is out. Here goes. If this works you get the the "arse saver of the year" award! Nicely done Tom. Will report back later. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Dave D said:

Yes, pain in the arse. Literally. Just moded seat base as shown. Sun is out. Here goes. If this works you get the the "arse saver of the year" award! Nicely done Tom. Will report back later. Thank you.

OK. One 2 1/2 hour ride later: The coccyx approves! It really made a difference. Weight on arse cheeks - not on base of spine. I went horse riding yesterday for the first time in 4 years too so feeling it a bit today. Love the bike but that seat was nearly a selling factor. Problem solved. Thank you Tom. Arse saver award is yours!