Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Oxford grips, which connector?

Baggey22

Question

I want to get the Oxford Adventure heated grips. Is this the correct connector to go into the factory location??

s-l400.jpg

Sumitomo MT SEALED Series. 1 x MT 3-way Male & Female connector set, pins, sockets & seals. 1 x 3-way Female connector, 3 sockets and 3 wire seals (seals may be a different...

Thanks! 

11 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Baggey22 said:

I want to get the Oxford Adventure heated grips. Is this the correct connector to go into the factory location??

s-l400.jpg

Sumitomo MT SEALED Series. 1 x MT 3-way Male & Female connector set, pins, sockets & seals. 1 x 3-way Female connector, 3 sockets and 3 wire seals (seals may be a different...

Thanks! 

Yes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What is the final verdict on the Oxford wiring to the original three PIN connector:

1. Are both pluses within the connector equal and I just wire the Oxford's plus to any of them? (hence ending up with two oxford wires going into the standard Yamaha 3-pin connector)

2. If I read correctly, there is one spare 3-pin connector on the left hand side and another one on the right hand side, both 10-amps? Does it matter which one I wire it to in terms of convenience?

Thanks!

This is probably to late but I wired my Oxford grips directly to the battery which was simple, there’s no need to worry about leaving them switched on as the controller senses the bike is not moving and switches itself off.

Clever!

• Like 1

i ordered the connectors, and plan to connect my oxfords to the 3-pin connector on the clutch (left) side.   

I did not see a 3-pin on the throttle side,  but am hoping, as next paycheck I'll be ordering PIAA lights - and need a place to wire them

Last nights handlebar/oxford install went mostly well.   -- still loving this bike.  Need to get it in the durt!

Their is a 3 pin on the throttle side, its pretty easy to get to- quite exposed. They have it electrical taped to a wiring loom pretty good, just look for the “cap” end. 

• Like 1

Thank you thank you you've made my morning brighter!  I'll look for it tonight

while installing anti bobblehead, and browsing about - I found the throttle side AUX plug also.

waiting for the Sumito connector to arrive from Bay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/282028353493

but also got excited and ordered the kit from Eastern Beaver - cause?   who doesn't love a cute beaver every so often?
https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/Tenere_700/4CS/4cs.html

scroll about 3/4 down the page - and there is a splitter, if you want to add more than one thing to the factory power outlet - $25

below that is aux light connector $15 for if ya dont want to cut into the harness.   I bought 2 of these - waiting for delivery

updated on spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EXWvsnCyWymUyLVgGjXS3B3nfbGYVQUwztHkYxcN81Y/edit#gid=0

Consider a PDU and eliminate all but two wires to the battery and lots of pesky fuses, plus you can individually programme each circuit (handy for delaying aux lights etc. and allowing all power to be used to start the bike). When you come to wire in a new farkle, life is so much simpler. This what I've used on my last two bikes, not cheap but very good. 

image.thumb.png.aa58427f4a5e647624d624f0028b8f42.png

Honestly with the 3 prewired connectors on the front of the bike I don’t see the need for a PDM or similar on the T7. You have a 10 amp circuit sharing two 3 prong connections, and one free 2 amp circuit with a two pin connector shared with the cigarette lighter jack. What are you going to need to wire up that would require the PDM? 

• Like 3

On 9/20/2020 at 3:48 PM, TonyVito said:

This is probably to late but I wired my Oxford grips directly to the battery which was simple, there’s no need to worry about leaving them switched on as the controller senses the bike is not moving and switches itself off.

Clever!

Maybe a silly question, but where did you route the cables? Did you remove the tank? Many thanks.

Initially I didn’t remove the tank and was able to fiddle the cables through to the battery just removing the side panels. Since then I have done the cable mod to access the spark plugs so had to remove the tank, in fact I just spun the tank around so in doing that I took the opportunity to rerun the grip cables only because I could but there is no need. Hope that helps.

• Like 1