Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Is rally edition worth it over standard?

Old tenere phil

I am just about to buy a 700 but keep getting suckered in to the looks of the rally edition and I'm tempted to get that instead. Is it worth it?  Is the seat much better? 

The gold wheels look great and blue paint. 

If you want to go for another. Colour get the rally kit added on.

ive got the red n white but want gold wheels which is about a grand The rally seat is tall so would suggest sitting on one. The nice thing with the T7 is you can turn it into whatever you want:)

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

Not worth it to me . Not sure what the usa price difference even is, but I'm not paying extra for looks. My T-7 gets filthy dirty off road, sometimes my spokes look gold from the dirt, for free! 

Seems like it is very difficult to get rid of the opinion that the Rally Edition is only about looks. It is just not correct. You get a better bashplate, offroad grips, led blinkers, acrapovic exhaust, grip pads on the sides and rally seat which is not as high as the optional rally seat (+2 cm instead of +3.5 cm) plus a radiator protector. And to a price that's is about equal to the optional rally pack but containing more. Please explain me how you consider this as "paying extra for looks"

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 7:03 AM, Trollbiker said:

Seems like it is very difficult to get rid of the opinion that the Rally Edition is only about looks. It is just not correct. You get a better bashplate, offroad grips, led blinkers, acrapovic exhaust, grip pads on the sides and rally seat which is not as high as the optional rally seat (+2 cm instead of +3.5 cm) plus a radiator protector. And to a price that's is about equal to the optional rally pack but containing more. Please explain me how you consider this as "paying extra for looks"

If you  don't want the Yamaha accessories, which are generally more expensive than non genuine and perhaps not  as  good. Then it's too expensive for gold rims and blue rally scheme.😇🤑 you pay the price for vanity, it's life choices. 

Edited by Louis
  • Like 2

Well, I've decided life is too short ..when I weighed up a standard Tenere with options and the rally even as is it was much of a muchness. So I just had to......that and watching a YouTube video and hearing that Akrapovic exhaust and I was hooked.

Got the same fuzzy feeling that I got from looking at my new (at the time ) pearl white with speed block XT660z tenere but this time the white and red just didn't seem to flick that switch the same but the rally does.

The rally is more than just looks though , the parts add up to.....well, adds up to more than the sum of its parts individually. They elevate the whole bike, which is already an awesome , capable bike. I can't wait to get it on the road and trails .

• Like 4

The US doesn’t get the blue color scheme with gold wheels, exhaust or led indicators. Our rally pack includes the upgraded skid-plate, better rad cover, tank pad, passenger seat rack, center stand, crash bars and chain guide. All for around $1600.   

• Like 1

What I cant figure out is why the Rally Edition comes with street tires just like the peasant version Tenere. You'd think they'd put some rally tires and rally pegs on it to you know.... rally? 

Maybe the color blue is all it needs. 

Just kidding, I do think the blue is pretty sharp. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 1

I suppose tyres are always going to be subjective, depending on rider.amd their location. I think the tyres fitted are a jack of trades, master of none . But best bit of these and I suppose any other bike is tweaking it to suit you. And we spend pretty much all of its ownership doing just that. Until next bike and then start all over.

• Like 1

IS IT WORTH THE EXTRA?

only you can answer that question, but putting it this way, the first question is what colour do you like, do you like the gold coloured wheels?

next question, do you want all the extras Yamaha has fitted as standard?

is the Rally Edition seat too high?

The retail price for a standard T7 in the UK is £9147. 

the price with the same oem parts as the Rally Edition is £10857.20 (but you dont get the great colour or gold wheels). 

The retail price of the Rally Edition is £10447. 

So you save £410.20 by buying the RE and you get a nice colour scheme for free........

OR you can buy a standard T7 and only buy the parts you want and only aftermarket parts, which are generally cheaper. 

OR you could just buy a T7, do nothing else with it and just enjoy riding it, straight out of the crate, its a brilliant bike!

So it really just boils down to what you want and can afford. 

• Like 5

I'm waiting for the "harley low version" in black and chrome rims with  flames. No need for bar risers comes with  ape hangers. If  you're not riding a black bike you probably gay. 😎☠ 

No really  if it  floats your  boat and you can afford it, it's worth it! You don't need anyone's approval. You know you want it! 

Edited by Louis
  • Haha 1

Worth it?

That is such an subjective question, it all depends on you.

I seem to be smiling all the time on mine now, would I smile more on a Rally addition? Probably not, at least I hope not any more and I think my jaw would began to hurt.

It may be worth it to one and not to another. Does that make one right and one wrong?

Is it worth changing out the stock tires before they wear out? To some yes and to some no.

I don't care for the stock tires and plan on changing them, but I will wear them out first. For me and my riding ability I don't think it is worth it to change them now. For others it is definitely worth it.

So the reality is.

Is the Rally Edition worth it?

Yes and No, IMHO whatever works for you and makes you happy is correct.

All I know is I will be happier when my wife's bike gets here. I sure hope it happens before it snows, but you know what the say, "Hope springs eternal."

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Well 800 miles ish down , Im loving it . Soo glad I went for the rally ed. It will always be subjective. But it flicks my switch which is all that matters really. 

I've taken dB killer out the exhaust which has released the sound I had hoped for. Despite loving tall bikes I had to lower it 20mm with rally raid  dog bones. Maybe the standard seat would have been better.   I am 6ft but have a 4ft back and 2 ft legs so had to . It was just too top heavy and was getting too dodgy in some circumstances. I may out back to full height once I've got more used to it. But feel more confident as is . 

PXL_20210514_161154420.jpg

Rally edition wasn't an option when I ordered mine in the USA. 

I'm going to print and install a graphics kit.

But I plan to get the look close! 

Screenshot_20210521-190330.thumb.png.1cf8e70994e3aeeb2c04c8a8b7e867f7.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So called "Rally" version is painted nicer (like historical rally bike) and that's the only rally thing about this bike... oh! And exhaust! BUT - as every OEM fitted sport exhaust it has non removable baffle, so to unleash akra you end up drilling to remove baffle... and it cost twice as much as other titanium exhaust with removable baffles 🙂

Led indicators? Radiator guard? aluminium chain guard? All unneeded bling (but if you fancy them you can have it on standard bike as well)... meanwhile suspension - the weakest point of this bike - remains untouched 😞

So while KTM's "R" version main difference is suspension, Yamaha gives you nice rally... paintwork 🤣  

Edited by Bartek
  • Like 1