Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lifting my dropped bike.

Allen Kelly

@AZJW

Thanks, I see it now. Kind'a tuck the post in at an angle under the seat, and stop lifting before the angle gets too steep in the other direction. This could be a real lifesaver if you were alone and in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

54 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@Hibobb Here ya go.  Very similar but, different device, with the same function.

Eric done a great job on the Dirt Napper unfortunately he is only selling in the States that is what led me to making the aluminium version of my lifter. I have put it up so that anyone with minimal skills and a bit of patience can do as I have and make their own. If anyone is interested in having a go at making one I could make a video to demonstrate how to go about it. Let me know if that is required. Cheers Al.

• Like 4

I'd be very grateful if you could make the video with some  info... 

Thanks a lot! 

Paolo

• Like 1

Hey Paolo, I will produce a video shortly mate. I will be producing another lifter next week when I have a bit of time and hope to have someone here with me to video the making of it. I will post it as soon as it is done. Cheers Al  

• Like 1

5:39 

is exactly the point why I carry my bike jack in the tank bag and when I go off road solo it will be there.

"no matter what I do I can't get out."

• Like 2

On 6/29/2021 at 7:54 PM, ADVUSA said:

5:39 

is exactly the point why I carry my bike jack in the tank bag and when I go off road solo it will be there.

"no matter what I do I can't get out."

That is the most important thing about having a lifter, it imperative that you carry it somewhere on your bike that is easy to get to. If you carry it in a pannier for instance you can almost guarantee Murphies Law will come into effect and drop the bike on that pannier. I reinforced the front of my tail bag and fitted straps to it and that’s where the lifter resides basically on the seat behind my riding position. It doesn’t move around at all but easy to remove if required. Cheers Al.   

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Allen Kelly said:

That is the most important thing about having a lifter, it imperative that you carry it somewhere on your bike that is easy to get to. If you carry it in a pannier for instance you can almost guarantee Murphies Law will come into effect and drop the bike on that pannier. I reinforced the front of my tail bag and fitted straps to it and that’s where the lifter resides basically on the seat behind my riding position. It doesn’t move around at all but easy to remove if required. Cheers Al.   

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

Off topic, but I like your RideAdv racks. I am currently trying to get a set from them. They have them set aside for me, just having get them sent to my sisters place in Sydney, then resent to me in Canada 😁.

• Like 2

I had to lift my bike yesterday , first time by myself .

43 , 75kg with l4/l5 bulging discs .

1st attempt was back to bike , bum to seat area , no luck .. 

the i tried on my knees , in close . Attempt 2 & 3 got it to about 45 but couldn’t get further or off my knees to get it straight up  .

attempt 4 did but took all my strength.

after seeing so many how to videos yesterday i must not have the technique right . As others make it look easy . 
C2FAF9CA-F053-4E79-BC6A-C0642D48C67D.thumb.jpeg.1d919be996a3265972034998d2893ca2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Stujamur said:

I had to lift my bike yesterday , first time by myself .

43 , 75kg with l4/l5 bulging discs .

1st attempt was back to bike , bum to seat area , no luck .. 

the i tried on my knees , in close . Attempt 2 & 3 got it to about 45 but couldn’t get further or off my knees to get it straight up  .

attempt 4 did but took all my strength.

after seeing so many how to videos yesterday i must not have the technique right . As others make it look easy . 
C2FAF9CA-F053-4E79-BC6A-C0642D48C67D.thumb.jpeg.1d919be996a3265972034998d2893ca2.jpeg

@StujamurYou're not alone. Yes, techniques are great, but the T7 in stock form lies extremely flat on the ground and makes getting under it to gain leverage difficult for some body types.  My son and I are 6'3" & 6'1" respectively and can't get under it due to our long 36" inseam.  He squats better than 300 lbs, so strength isn't the issue,  it's gaining a mechanical advantage for leveraging the bike up.  With my bad back, trying multiple times to lift it, I soon realized I'm going to blow out my back and maybe curtail my riding career trying without help, so I got the Dirt Napper noted earlier in this thread. Best of luck finding a technique or method that works for you.

• Like 5

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Interesting that there are still people who want to teach you how to pick up a motorbike with simple general advice ...

I just saw a video in which Sven Olsen explains why he switched from the Tenere 700 back to his former Honda CB 500 X - unlike the CB 500 X, he could not pick up the Tenere despite only a little extra weight.

It was the same for me: for many years I rode a BMW 1150 GS (250 kg), which I threw down a few times and was always able to pick up again on my own. Now, when I bought the Tenere 700 (much lighter ... ha ha), partly to save my back, I put it down as soon as I entered my garden out of stupidity. I couldn't pick it up on my own.

I am also thinking about a motorbike lift ...

Greetings Norbert

• Like 4

Hard panniers make the job of lifting the bike easier.....

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

4 hours ago, AZJW said:

@StujamurYou're not alone. Yes, techniques are great, but the T7 in stock form lies extremely flat on the ground and makes getting under it to gain leverage difficult for some body types.  My son and I are 6'3" & 6'1" respectively and can't get under it due to our long 36" inseam.  He squats better than 300 lbs, so strength isn't the issue,  it's gaining a mechanical advantage for leveraging the bike up.  With my bad back, trying multiple times to lift it, I soon realized I'm going to blow out my back and maybe curtail my riding career trying without help, so I got the Dirt Napper noted earlier in this thread. Best of luck finding a technique or method that works for you.

This is quite true...

I had the misfortune of dropping my bike in a parking lot during low speed maneuvering. Even exhaust side down, the thing lays flat on the ground. Had to squat down all the way to get by butt in the seat, and while the weight wasn't a problem, the issue I ran into was that the tires couldn't get enough bite on the asphalt to start lift up. It just ended up sliding the tires across the asphalt. I had to get a second guy on the bike with my to just brute force it up off the ground.

At least on asphalt with no cargo racks of any kind, I do not think you can rely on the seat pushing trick and just need to lift straight up.

• Like 4

The T700 decided to lie down for a rest on sunday far from home.
Luckely it came to a stop on a concreate bridge that made it easier to stand up.

With 35 kg of luggage, I imagine it would be another story out in the woods.

20210704_1.thumb.jpg.39cb7ebb58e323bcae10c4dd10c1bc28.jpg

I got distracted by the the lovely river and drifted to the middle of the road where there were a string of very soft deep sand, and the front wheel dug in and did´nt recover until it hit the hard bridge which through me over the bars....
This was expected, and the Tenere took the hit without blinking!

• Like 2

It has happened to most of us. I went an asked a stranger for help getting mine upright. 

I said, “Damn thing has only got two wheels; ‘bound to tip over once in a while!”

• Like 1

Just also want to chime in and say yeah this bike will definitely f*ck you up if you aren't really prepared on the trail. I pulled a pretty bad muscle in my bicep trying to lift it on the side of a hill. It would lift fine, but I could only lift it as high as my height and unfortunately I was not able to lift it up past a tipping point. I'm 6' also, but the bike was too much on an incline to be able to lift it. In hindsight, I should have just dragged it to point down, but it was caught on a bunch of bushes / cacti so I wasn't too keen on scratching it up. It really does lay flat like a pancake.

• Like 1

I have finally got the lifter I have been making to the point where I am confident that it will work. I have tested it now a couple of times and it works a treat. I work the ratchet to the point of a bit over 45 degrease and then I can put my back into it to get it onto the side stand. Now that I am confident with it I have a mate coming over at the weekend and we will make a video of it working. I will also make a video of how I went about making it so that anyone who wants to have a go at it can. Cheers Allen

• Like 7

On 7/1/2021 at 10:06 PM, Bighopper said:

Off topic, but I like your RideAdv racks. I am currently trying to get a set from them. They have them set aside for me, just having get them sent to my sisters place in Sydney, then resent to me in Canada 😁.

They are extremely solid and great quality racks. I had a monumental off back in December and they protected the back end of the bike with just some paint scraped from them no real damage unlike the rider. Cheers Al.

• Like 1

It is difficult for sure.  56 year old about 80kg and not a complete couch potato but it was difficult. Tonight I decided to see how i got on and go through the drill of switching the bike off, hit the kill switch, lock the front break on with a velcro strap and if possible put it in gear. I lay it down 3 times and dropped it properly a 4th time on my lawn. I could only lift using the back to the bike in two stages a bit like a clean and jerk lift. The first shove was to get the front handlebar pulled in and the bike off of that dead flat position, then a second leg drive to push it up. I have a rear top box rack which gives great handles to grab along with the handlebar.

Here is my sleeping beauty.

20210708_184958.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/6/2021 at 8:02 PM, gone2seed said:

It has happened to most of us. I went an asked a stranger for help getting mine upright. 

I said, “Damn thing has only got two wheels; ‘bound to tip over once in a while!”

Motowinch stored in tank bag for off roading.  Problem solved.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Allen Kelly said:

They are extremely solid and great quality racks. I had a monumental off back in December and they protected the back end of the bike with just some paint scraped from them no real damage unlike the rider. Cheers Al.

Hey Al,

Thanks for your input about the racks. They are at my sisters & she is wrapping them better than they came. Also including 2 jars of Vegemite as we can't find it here now for some reason 😍, so hopefully in 2 weeks I will have the racks.👏

Phil

• Like 2

As promised here is a video of how to make up a bike lifter. I just realised I forgot to do the base stand so I will do that later today and post it. I hope it helps some of you out. Cheers Allen  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3