Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lifting my dropped bike.

Allen Kelly

As promised. This is a video of the Dropped Bike Recovery Tool in operation.  I will make another video shortly demonstrating some of the alterations I made to the ratchet that enabled the operation of lifting the bike easier. I hope this convinces you guys to go ahead and make your own. Cheers Allen.

Edited by Allen Kelly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 3 months later...

I was much enthused by your efforts in making your own bike lift  Allen and had full intentions of making my own, of course this was always a job for another day!

A couple of weeks ago i came off my bike reasonably hard at speed, by some stroke of luck I incurred no injuries and was easily able to lift the bike, I was by myself near dusk 20km from help, it could quite easily been a different scenario, I did however pull a muscle in lifting the bike, so that night I ordered a Motowinch from eastbound.

Had to use it yesterday on a single trail, worked perfectly, no strain no stress, I'm thinking such an item is a must have if you go riding on your own.

Yes it was expensive 😣 but it fits in my tail bag no problemo.

IMG_20211023_155030682.jpg

IMG_20211023_155009528.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Dropped mine in the mud the other day & to my surprise I could not just lift it up "normal".  I had to do that back your butt into the side of the bike while facing away from it & lift on the locked bar & rear grab handle thing like they teach old ladies.  I'm so embarrassed.   I tell myself if i wasn't slipping in ankle deep mud I could have done it no problem.

Sorry but that is a stupid thing to say "like they teach old ladies".
The best way to pick up your bike is the way that cost the least amount of energy and which way that is depends on the situation.
You're not macho by wasting energy on a trail or risking injury, just plain stupid.
When you ride without luggage or just a tailpack that's often not even the best way because the T7 lays too flat on the ground.

• Like 4

I will have dropped the bike at least twenty times since I got it (okay, I really like to get in trouble). Only three times have I had a hard time lifting it. The first involved waiting almost two hours in the dark, muddy, and cold for my children to arrive in the 4x4. The next two times I solved it by myself in a matter of minutes thanks to the MotoWinch.
Nothing more to add, your honor ... 😅

• Like 3

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

I will look at it also, not only because i ride often alone but i also have an Honda Crosstourer and i got myself in a few situations last trip in the Balkans with that heavy bike where i was not only thankful for my experience but also for a fair bit of luck i didn't get myself in trouble again.
At least in one of the situations i think i would not be able to get the bike upright again by myself, even with the T7 it would be a real challenge.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Bringing a old thread back to life.  

I went on a quick ride yesterday after work.  Rode about 10 miles of pavement out of town to Wilkeson, WA where there are a decent amount of forest service roads.  I've rode the T7 more in this area because it's convenient.  I decided to explore a road that I had never been on  before, got to a T in the road and decided to stop and check the Garmin on which way to go.  Went to put my feet down and my left foot tried to find the bottom of a low spot and the bike fell over.  I was pissed that I dropped the bike but I was shocked that I couldn't pick it up. The seat was facing down hill,  barely down hill too.  I locked the front wheel with a Giant Loop pronghorn strap after I found out the bike was in neutral and wanted to roll.   I dragged the bike around to where the the seat was nearly facing the opposite direction.   Still couldn't lift the bike.  I was incredibly lucky to have found a 4x4 about 4 feet long.  I used it for leverage and was able to lift the bike.   

After arriving home I spent lots of time searching for different "winches" to help lift the bike.  I also noticed that there have been lots of people with issues picking up their T7's.  Yes I agree, the bike falls VERY flat.  

The best store bought lifting tool I can find is the Eastbound MotoWinch LC1500. If there is a better option for the the T7, please post.  Thank you!!

I used Allen's measurements & purchased some Alumin Tube & Rod from our local Metal Store. Hacksaw, file, drill to make the tubes. ( Center Punch the Rods to half length to make friction fit the tubes).

Purchased a 2" ratchet& Strap from local store, found the strap to be too thick & found a place to purchase some 2" Car Seat Belt which works great. I also found the Ratchet operated the opposite to what Allen showed. So I removed the cogs and reversed them & now the unit operates when pushing down on the handle Vs pulling up.

On 10/23/2021 at 10:01 PM, Stevoh said:

I was much enthused by your efforts in making your own bike lift  Allen and had full intentions of making my own, of course this was always a job for another day!

A couple of weeks ago i came off my bike reasonably hard at speed, by some stroke of luck I incurred no injuries and was easily able to lift the bike, I was by myself near dusk 20km from help, it could quite easily been a different scenario, I did however pull a muscle in lifting the bike, so that night I ordered a Motowinch from eastbound.

Had to use it yesterday on a single trail, worked perfectly, no strain no stress, I'm thinking such an item is a must have if you go riding on your own.

Yes it was expensive 😣 but it fits in my tail bag no problemo.

IMG_20211023_155030682.jpg

IMG_20211023_155009528.jpg

What model did you get?