Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Flush Mounted Gas cap

SantacruzT100

Anyone find a company that makes one? I don't see any specific for the T7. Anyone else annoyed by the huge cheap stock gas cap?

• Like 3

Ditto here. Dislike the stock gas cap. Looking for an aftermarket options.

Hopefully something more flush like.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SantacruzT100 said:

Anyone find a company that makes one? I don't see any specific for the T7. Anyone else annoyed by the huge cheap stock gas cap?

you could always buy a road bike

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Paul said:

you could always buy a road bike

That's a good idea. I'll look if the R1 gas caps fits the T7. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...
On 9/15/2020 at 4:41 AM, OU812 said:

I don't see how that could work on the Tenere. There's no recess or places to bolt the outer section to the tank.

I used similar items on my Ducatis in the past, looks nice, but I often had leaks if left parked in the sun with a full tank.

I'm leary of locking gas caps, having had several fail on trips. But those were BMWs, so hopefully the legendary Japanese reliability extends to gas cap locks too.

19 minutes ago, norton73 said:

I don't see how that could work on the Tenere. There's no recess or places to bolt the outer section to the tank.

I used similar items on my Ducatis in the past, looks nice, but I often had leaks if left parked in the sun with a full tank.

I'm leary of locking gas caps, having had several fail on trips. But those were BMWs, so hopefully the legendary Japanese reliability extends to gas cap locks too.

Nope...Old Post.

• 10 months later...

I contacted Yamaha this summer. They don't have a flush mount gas cap for the T7 and there does not appear to be an aftermarket one. Does anyone else have the issue of gas leaking out of the gas cap when the tank bag is installed and the bike is on it's side? I explained it to Yamaha and they said that they've never heard of this issue.

2 hours ago, FernieT7 said:

I contacted Yamaha this summer. They don't have a flush mount gas cap for the T7 and there does not appear to be an aftermarket one. Does anyone else have the issue of gas leaking out of the gas cap when the tank bag is installed and the bike is on it's side? I explained it to Yamaha and they said that they've never heard of this issue.

Yam is full of it, they’ve heard plenty. My warranty attempt met with a new leaky cap needing re-keyed at my expense. Passed & came up with a home remedy. Others met with even easier success by simplifying it to use a flat washer. Mine continues to work.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Just came across this:

mtp22411y_cnc-aluminum-fuel-gas-cap-quic

quick realese fuel gas cap for Yamaha XTZ 700 Tenere DM08 2019-2021

I sent them a to verify that it is actually flush mounted and that it fits. Looks like it just replaces the top part of the stock cap. Total is 40 EUR and 4-10 business days shipped to Texas.

advgoats.com

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 4:08 PM, random1781 said:

Just came across this:

mtp22411y_cnc-aluminum-fuel-gas-cap-quic

quick realese fuel gas cap for Yamaha XTZ 700 Tenere DM08 2019-2021

I sent them a to verify that it is actually flush mounted and that it fits. Looks like it just replaces the top part of the stock cap. Total is 40 EUR and 4-10 business days shipped to Texas.

Quick follow-up: I can confirm that this does NOT fit, despite what the company and their website says!

• Like 3

advgoats.com

• 3 months later...