Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Removing the snorkel is a bad idea

Ol'crazy

• Moderators

... the guys in Vegas reading about me and my bike ‘seasons’ 😫

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

3 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I am aiming to get the rapid bike as well, maybe Christmas present with open lid and foam filter from off the road.de as it seems the same but half price. 

Aleks 

Not all foam filters are created equally.  Nor to my knowledge has the other filter been in the 5 time World Superbike championship winning bike from the Factory Kawasaki World Superbike Team...just sayin'

LoL!

🙂

You know I love ya Aleks!

Edited by pgeldz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, pgeldz said:

It's already been done (sorta).

MWR is releasing their new Filtercage with Outercover pretty soon.

Gives you the extra protection for extreme conditions, with exceptional flow characteristics for the best of both worlds.

It's based off of what the professional Rally Raid teams use 🙂

Thanks Paul. Actually my son's cover was is development and use long before MWR released theirs. But who is quibbling... 😄

Guys in Australia will be looking to put on proper pre-filters due to the dust, so I would expect MWR to come out with one to suit their new cover soon enough.

21 hours ago, Uncle M said:

The Aussie MAD tv guys interviewed Uni Filter in this youtube vid. Uni recommended cutting off no more than 12-15 mm of the snorkel, enough to get some additional filtering but not so much it affects performance. I haven't done mine yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuW4AeJESzU&list=PLkM9-Vs7YnzgftIwZM6Qqpb_sMaQTyP11&index=3&t=0s

Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Thanks Paul. Actually my son's cover was is development and use long before MWR released theirs. But who is quibbling... 😄

Guys in Australia will be looking to put on proper pre-filters due to the dust, so I would expect MWR to come out with one to suit their new cover soon enough.

Awesome!  I did't know that!  Let us know how it works!

As far as MWR, they didn't use a pre-filter.  They have developed an outercover for extreme protection, much like the ones used in professional rally raid.

The nice thing about it is it can be rinsed with water, at a water crossing out in the wilderness, etc, so you don't have to carry oil or pre-oiled pre-filters.

🙂

Edited by pgeldz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, pgeldz said:

Not all foam filters are created equally.  Nor to my knowledge has the other filter been in the 5 time World Superbike championship winning bike from the Factory Kawasaki World Superbike Team...just sayin'

LoL!

🙂

You know I love ya Aleks!

Appreciate that and the Mwr might be a better choice but I still plan on trying the other filter first and see what the results are... From the dyno testing you have done if I remember correctly the difference in hp was minimal between the filters. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Appreciate that and the Mwr might be a better choice but I still plan on trying the other filter first and see what the results are... From the dyno testing you have done if I remember correctly the difference in hp was minimal between the filters. 

Aleks 

The testing I did was against the DNA paper filter.  The MWR made .6 hp more than that, and when tuned for the MWR, it made 1.1 more.  That was on my FZ-07 though 🙂

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I got my ecu flashed by 2wheel dynoworks.  My personal plan is to keep the snorkel with me.  If things get very wet I can pop it in.  If I'm going to cross a creek, pop it in.  There is plenty of room to store it near the battery.  99% of the time it is dry and the tune matches the airport without the restriction.

I wish they had dynoed the with the snorkel, slip on and a tune. Unless I’m an idiot they didn’t. 
Think they did baseline then no snorkel and slip on with their tune.