Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

TIRES! Aggressive 50/50 dirt worthy T7 tires for Sand?

nelsonccc

rallz on front & adventure on rear. yeah it is a bit confusing the decision. I had an incident with the oem Pirelli tyres in the sand so I would much prefer to slow down on the tar because of dirt tyres, than wrestle a 200 kg bike if it turns to Shet in the dirt on more road bias tyres.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, manny said:

rallz on front & adventure on rear. yeah it is a bit confusing the decision. I had an incident with the oem Pirelli tyres in the sand so I would much prefer to slow down on the tar because of dirt tyres, than wrestle a 200 kg bike if it turns to Shet in the dirt on more road bias tyres.

Hmmm... combining two different tires? I'm nearer to decide finally. 

Sorry, I just said "decide"? I was want to say "suicide"... 😭 

Thanks buddy 👍. It's really hard to choose 😅

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

• Moderators
On 9/14/2020 at 4:59 AM, Ol'crazy said:

Don't let running two different tires front and rear concern you. Tons of dirt riders do it all the time with great results. I've run a front Goldentyre 216 Fatty on my Beta 520 for years and different rears from the MotoZ Mtn. Hybrid to a Tractionator Enduro IT to a Pirelli MT43, etc.  All worked great, but don't just take my word for it.  Check out forums that are more dirt oriented,  such as ADVRider or ThumperTalk for a boatload of threads on the subject. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

4 hours ago, Ol'crazy said:

You are clearly right about using different tires at the same time. It's not the first time I've read about it.

It was a joke about the added complication in the choice, since if it is difficult to decide on a tire with the great existing offer, if you have to choose a different one for each wheel, the difficulty is multiplied by two.

Bad joke, certainly. Sorry. 😬😅

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

On 9/12/2020 at 4:25 PM, tenerecanada said:

@pgeldz I am following this closely and want to be sure I make the right move. Is there no tubeless rear RallZ or Desert H/T tire @140/80/18 or am I missing something? The only option I see at this point is the Adventure, which is more road bias than I am hoping to go.

2131616294_Screenshot(23).thumb.png.b95f594d55498c6a423a6d19959b9c4e.png959917077_Screenshot(22).thumb.png.21eba399fe0fecf83eb77393443f59fd.png

Unfortunately, what I wrote before still stands:

The word I got about the 140 rear is that you can only use the Tubeless 140/80/18 on the rear (with a tube in it of course because our wheels are tube type)

They said the Motoz tube type 140 rears in general, aren't designed for a 4.0 inch wheel, and you can see that on their website when you look at the Rallz 140 tube type tire.  its' for a much narrower wheel.

The 140 tubeless tire (with a tube in it) will work because the tubeless construction makes it strong enough, but they only make the 140 tubeless tire in certain models.

😞

- Paul

Edited by pgeldz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pgeldz said:

The word I got about the 140 rear is that you can only use the Tubeless 140/80/18 on the rear (with a tube in it of course because our wheels are tube type)

They said the Motoz tube type 140 rears in general, aren't designed for a 4.0 inch wheel, and you can see that on their website when you look at the Rallz 140 tube type tire.  its' for a much narrower wheel.

The 140 tubeless tire (with a tube in it) will work because the tubeless construction makes it strong enough, but they only make the 140 tubeless tire in certain models.

😞

- Paul

As for the front, they said in a 90/90/21, to use the tube type tire with a tube in it for our wheels, because it's for a rim of 1.60-1.85, and our wheel is 1.85.

The tubeless front 90/90/21 is meant for a 2.15 - 2.50 front wheel width.

Hope that helps.

Just ordered the proper tubeless 150/70/18 out back (with a tube in it), and the 90/90/21 tube type (with a tube in it) for the front.  Not in stock until next month, but no biggie.  Still waiting on other stuff to arrive as well.

🙂

- Paul

Edited by pgeldz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 2:59 PM, pgeldz said:

That's my methodology anyway.  

Thoughts?

- Paul

I'm in the same boat as you (experienced on road, total n00b offroad) and really appreciated seeing your thought process. I'm in the same boat: definitely willing to give up street handling and longevity for consistent grip off road while I learn a new set of skills. Going with the RallZ, now to find a place that can get them to me in time!

Thanks,
Nathan in PDX, OR

33 minutes ago, nhs503 said:

I'm in the same boat as you (experienced on road, total n00b offroad) and really appreciated seeing your thought process. I'm in the same boat: definitely willing to give up street handling and longevity for consistent grip off road while I learn a new set of skills. Going with the RallZ, now to find a place that can get them to me in time!

Thanks,
Nathan in PDX, OR

Yeah, many places are sold out.  The next shipment inbound is not until next month 😞

• Moderators

Yeah I ordered an Adventure rear and RallZ front, January at the earliest for me in Canada. 

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• Moderators

They ain't cheap, but Rocky is where I got mine and they still show some in stock.

mot_19_tir_tra_ral-1896270001.jpg

Based on the popular Tractionator Adventure but with more aggressive off-road traction in all weather extremes. Designed by off road riders, for off road riders, for serious off road traction. It is technically 25% stronger than many other adventure tires...

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

So the mileage so to speak combo in this brand is RallZ front and MotoZ Tractionator Adventure on the rear? Not looking for 10k miles but at least 5k on the rear. Front I am looking for more bite off road not 10k miles out of it.

WOW just noticed that 150 rear Tractionator weighs 21 lbs 😕 stock pirelli is only 15 lbs that is 6 lbs added of unsprung weight😩

Edited by roy826

I am looking at ordering RallyZ for my front wheel and Tractionator Adventure for my rear. 
With a 4 inch rim and originally 150/70/18 tire at the rear.
I assume I have to order TL tire (and use tube), but what tire dimm to order. 140/80/B18 for 3.5 rimm or 150/70/B18 for 4,25 rimm?
See several talk about the 140 tire, but don’t quite get which tire fits best for the 4 inch rim?

TADQ 150/70B18

TL

DOT ECER75

70 Q

Rea

TADQ 140/80B18

TL

DOT ECER75

70 Q

-

Rea

Edited by Borg

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Borg said:
I am looking at ordering RallyZ for my front wheel and Tractionator Adventure for my rear. 
With a 4 inch rim and originally 150/70/18 tire at the rear.
I assume I have to order TL tire (and use tube), but what tire dimm to order. 140/80/B18 for 3.5 rimm or 150/70/B18 for 4,25 rimm?
See several talk about the 140 tire, but don’t quite get which tire fits best for the 4 inch rim?

TADQ 150/70B18

TL

DOT ECER75

70 Q

Rea

TADQ 140/80B18

TL

DOT ECER75

70 Q

-

Rea

Heres what I went with specifically. 

Tractionator RallZ Front 90/90/21 Tube Type

Tractionator Adventure Rear 140/80/18 Tubeless Type (narrower and taller than your alternative 👍)

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

I can't help. I'm not going to do experiments. I will put the RallZ front and rear in their original sizes when available. Once I have experienced both tires myself, I will decide for future changes 🤷‍♂️.

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

• 3 weeks later...

I did a night ride last night with some dual sport riders. That was a challenge on the stock tires.

The stock tires are terrible for the dirt roads I was on. Hard pack road with loose gravel/sand on top. Front end was all over the place. lol

l5CeRCY.jpg

I'm going to put the Mitas E-07+ rear and Mitas E-10 front on the stock wheels. These are tires I purchased months ago, before getting my T700.

I went to a ADV Rally up by Mammoth Lake on Labor Day and could see how the Rallz tires performed on the other bikes. Rallz did great there. I'll just order Motoz Rallz for my Alpina wheels when they arrive next month.

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, pgeldz said:

¡Mis neumáticos RallZ se enviaron hoy! ¡Whoo Hoo!

🙂

- Pablo

What a lucky guy!! 🙂👍

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

• Moderators
On 10/15/2020 at 8:16 AM, REDHORSECA said:

I did a night ride last night with some dual sport riders. That was a challenge on the stock tires.

The stock tires are terrible for the dirt roads I was on. Hard pack road with loose gravel/sand on top. Front end was all over the place. lol

l5CeRCY.jpg

I'm going to put the Mitas E-07+ rear and Mitas E-10 front on the stock wheels. These are tires I purchased months ago, before getting my T700.

I went to a ADV Rally up by Mammoth Lake on Labor Day and could see how the Rallz tires performed on the other bikes. Rallz did great there. I'll just order Motoz Rallz for my Alpina wheels when they arrive next month.

Agreed. I told a buddy, riding the stock Pirellies on loose gravel is like riding a Hayabusa on marbles.  Any throttle application above a smidgen and the rear end is as squirrely as Don Knotts at a sharp shooting contest!

• Haha 2

Can anybody post a pic of a motoz rear mounted up? Any clearance issues with the 140 on the rear? 

TIA

From the FB group posted by Jesse Kimball: Motoz Tractionator Rallz tires

120737013_4064169373597189_6580711968494256392_o.thumb.jpg.c7dc3626ee81a2251fa076237ef75d43.jpg

120658526_4064169426930517_3667135431190645721_o.thumb.jpg.bf81c9cd6354a4068c13a3085753fba0.jpg

120661455_4064169723597154_4498918239995054330_o.thumb.jpg.4a3b0763c5dc7920ce4e47498bc868c1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Be advised I met another of my ride buddies on his T700 with the same Rallz front tire last Friday. He said that the front Rallz tire will sometimes oscillate at a particular speed on our Southern California highways with our aggressive rain grooves. It's our concrete highway road surface, because when he moved over to the black tarmac section of the same lane it all smoothed out just fine. When he rolled out back to the concrete section of the lane it came back.

When that would happen he would slow down to stop the oscillation then gradually climb back up to the speed and it would be fine. He has got  about 3-4k miles on them at the time and wasn't sure of the front wheel was out of balanced.

Another rider friend of ours with the same Rallz tires on his S10 said the same thing, when he recommended the tire to him for his T700

On 10/16/2020 at 8:27 PM, pgeldz said:

They're here!

How are you pgeldz?

Have you already installed the tires?

I still have at least two weeks to receive them ... 😢

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

46 minutes ago, Ol'crazy said:

How are you pgeldz?

Have you already installed the tires?

I still have at least two weeks to receive them ... 😢

Not yet, LoL  Still waiting on other bits to arrive and then I'll do it all at once 🙂

- Paul

• Like 1