Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

TIRES! Aggressive 50/50 dirt worthy T7 tires for Sand?

nelsonccc

On 9/14/2020 at 1:01 PM, pgeldz said:

Unfortunately, what I wrote before still stands:

The word I got about the 140 rear is that you can only use the Tubeless 140/80/18 on the rear (with a tube in it of course because our wheels are tube type)

They said the Motoz tube type 140 rears in general, aren't designed for a 4.0 inch wheel, and you can see that on their website when you look at the Rallz 140 tube type tire.  its' for a much narrower wheel.

The 140 tubeless tire (with a tube in it) will work because the tubeless construction makes it strong enough, but they only make the 140 tubeless tire in certain models.

😞

- Paul

I have the 140 tubed Rallz on mine. No issues yet, are you saying I might down the road?

On 4/6/2021 at 5:43 AM, gossmann1 said:

I have the 140 tubed Rallz on mine. No issues yet, are you saying I might down the road?

I can't say, but I CAN say that the 140 tubed isn't designed for a 4.0 inch wheel according to their site.

On 4/6/2021 at 4:06 AM, JimmyTheHuman said:

I think this tyre is on backwards?

Does it have a 'direction of rotation' arrow on the side?

Funny you should say, i thought the same thing at first. It seems a lot of tires are going this way. Ive noticed sport bike front tires are doing the same too. 

I just mounted this street bike tire up this past winter. Looks completely backwards to me. 

9C4986A0-7B94-44DD-949D-30F7F05EC7F6.thumb.jpeg.c26497a68fe5b42e90323ade01c68f2d.jpeg

The pattern for the front has been that way for years. Some tires can be mounted front or rear and will show the direction for where its mounted. And then there are tires like the Dunlop 606 front that sucks no matter which direction you mount it. The 606 rear is a great tire.

• 3 weeks later...

To future readers, in case it helps make an informed decision. I mounted a 140/80/18 TL Motoz Tractionator Adv on the rear and 90/90/21 TT Tractionator Rallz on front. The worst part of the job was getting the OEM tire off the rear (breaking bead then separating tire and rim). Adv went on really smooth after that. Front was a dream to swap. In hind sight I wished I would have done Rallz for both front and rear. Only because front tracked better in gravel. Would have been nice to have less rear shimmy. I’m not saying I’m unhappy, just that I could have been happier. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

As a new ADV rider I thought my experience might help some other n00bs out there reading this thread.

After about 1k miles on my OEM Pirellis, mostly on road, a little single track, and some slow-rolling fire roads (because I have almost zero offroad skills) and being really happy with the on-road behavior of the bike (keeping up with sporties in the mountain twisties), I switched to Rallz front and rear (150w on rear) in preparation for a BDR trial run. Although the offroad handling was instantly and massively improved, the on-road behavior was shockingly bad for someone used to street tires. I had 3 or 4 very low speed slide-outs on the rear (turning into a parking lot at 5mph-ish was the final straw) before changing back to the OEM tires for street riding. 

I'm not saying that it can't be learned around, or that they're a bad tire, just that if like me you are used to street bikes and street tires, the subjective comments of "okay street handling" or "not that bad" might catch you into thinking these grip pavement. They will do better as they wear I'm sure, but even after slowly scrubbing the manufacturing film off with a few hundred miles of street riding, they are squirrely as Shet on pavement (esp at all wet) in my opinion. 

All this is to say, if you're a) new to ADV bikes and on/offroad tires and b) slap on some 90%ff/10%on tires like the Rallz, expect it to be a lot like riding on wet leaves with a street tire, don't crash, and build up your sense of what they will do from there.

Again though the offroad performance is greatly confidence-inspiring 🙂 So much so that I bought a 2nd pair of Woody's wheels for the Rallz, and swap them when I know I'll be doing any off-road riding.

Nathan in OR

Edited by nhs503