Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Cracked plastic

DrRJD

On 12/6/2020 at 4:44 AM, HoboHighlander said:

Took me awhile to figure out what it means to "overnight" a bolt...

Hence the black font color, dark night stealth mode. LOL

On 12/28/2020 at 3:39 AM, DrRJD said:

I am incredulous that Yamaha would use such brittle plastic on an off-road bike.

99% of the buyers use the bike on public roads only, maybe they ride a fire road but that's it normally. Imagine Yamaha would use soft plastics like on KTM or other Hard Enduros. Once you touch them with a paper towel to remove finger prints they lose their luster and get scratched...

1 hour ago, NomadLad said:

I'm curious about this too as I debate on whether to add 10kg or steel to the upper half of my Ténéré or not 😂

For what I see from your -by the way brilliant- videos, you ride much better than me, so you probably wont need protection bars. But let me tell you one important thing. The protectors are not built to protect your plastics, they're made to save your radiator. You will ride home with broken plastics, maybe fixed with zip ties and race tape, but with a damaged radiator it could be a impossible 😉

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

For what I see from your -by the way brilliant- videos, you ride much better than me, so you probably wont need protection bars. But let me tell you one important thing. The protectors are not built to protect your plastics, they're made to save your radiator. You will ride home with broken plastics, maybe fixed with zip ties and race tape, but with a damaged radiator it could be a impossible 😉

Unfortunately, I genuinely think you must have me confused with someone else as my riding and the few videos that I've made are well below par 😂

Very good point about the radiator, I honestly wasn't considering that but now that I am, I think I'll be investing in a set of Heed crashbars as they did a fantastic job of protecting my Tiger during a big off road slam.

1 minute ago, NomadLad said:

Unfortunately, I genuinely think you must have me confused with someone else as my riding and the few videos that I've made are well below par 😂

Very good point about the radiator, I honestly wasn't considering that but now that I am, I think I'll be investing in a set of Heed crashbars as they did a fantastic job of protecting my Tiger during a big off road slam.

Yes, I mistakenly thought you are Nomad_Sweden (YT Channel). My bad, sorry! 

Cheers Doc

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Yes, I mistakenly thought you are Nomad_Sweden (YT Channel). My bad, sorry! 

Cheers Doc

No problem at all 😂

I really enjoy that channel too 👌

• Like 1

I paid AUS $226.28 for the new cover.

The advertised price on the Yamaha Australia site was way too low - I can't remember what it was but they said that this was a complete mistake. Given the misleading initial advertised price I was given a generous discount.

Hope that helps.

Edited by DrRJD

I have the same cracks on the left hand side in the same position both the tank plastic cover and the side piece I suggest to anyone to remove the left hand side cover and reinforce around the hole with epoxy and fiberglass after you sand the area on the inside. Bit late after you have the cracks. I am very careful not to overtighten and use a mid range thread glue. I am sure this is a fault or stress area cracking the plastic. Not happy with the design yamaha.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Very Brittle. This just from a tip over in a truck bed. 0 miles. It is an Adventure bike but I was hoping the bike would wait for me to ride it and dent her up lol

20211209_180446.thumb.jpg.5cb9a4ebded921b176f43fdef59f17b1.jpg20211209_180430.thumb.jpg.f5fce3ed829c4cb4794f972844bdc278.jpg

Edited by Tetched
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So I managed to break the top rear section yesterday, very much like the pic above.  $180 bucks for the replacement, and at least 2 weeks before I get it.    Has anyone pinged the after market parts guys to see if someone is planning on making real dirt bike plastic panels for his bike?  I ride mine hard and it ends up on the ground most off road days - need something I can scratch and dent and not so brittle.