Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Aftermarket LED turn signals worked... now do not.

wookee

Question

So I thought I had this down, but i'm a big-time noob at electrical anything.  I have the following:

LED Relay

LED Blinkers (2 wires)

I installed the relay.

I then began with the front (3-wires).  I connected the wires, testing the correct wires would make the correct side blink (the colors didn't really match up).  This resulted in an extra black wire (I'm assuming ground).  I moved the black wire back a little and wrapped it up.   At this point I turned on the bike (with old rear blinkers still installed) and the new front blinkers continued to run like a running light and blinked correctly.

I then detached the rear indicators (2-wires).  I tested the wires for each side so that they blinked correctly. Then noticed that the dash indicators are lit up and now after installation of the rear indicators, the fronts do not work.  

Does anyone have an idea?  Is there a fuse perhaps I blew while testing the blinkers?  Thanks for your time

15 answers to this question

2 hours ago, wookee said:

Thanks, yeah the front was working before I installed the rear lights.  After the rears were installed, the fronts do not work. 

I'm thinking maybe I miswired the fronts

Yes, to me it sounds like the front is mis-wired. Likely a blown fuse would mean no lights at all. Front you'll always need the ground. The other two are just control wires, one constantly hot and the other for turning. I know on the aftermarkets blinkers I got, one of the wires coming out of the new blinker was so dark green it looked black. Very easy to miss. I got a 3 wire DLR blinker for the rear too to turn it into a day light running light for the back, just like the front for visibility. Not sure why Yammy did it in Europe but not North America. Now they're always red unless I turn then they blink orange. I tapped into the license plate light for my constant hot and just did tests to determine what was the hot and what were the turn signals. Black was black so just needing to ID the other 2. 

Edited by johnnygolucky

Make sure it's not the fuse! I've had faulty fuses in the past, they looked OK they checked out OK with a meter but FAULTY!  do yourself a  favour always swap out the fuse before you start looking for a problem, you  did say that it was working beforehand. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Louis said:

Make sure it's not the fuse! I've had faulty fuses in the past, they looked OK they checked out OK with a meter but FAULTY!  do yourself a  favour always swap out the fuse before you start looking for a problem, you  did say that it was working beforehand. 

Thanks, yeah the front was working before I installed the rear lights.  After the rears were installed, the fronts do not work. 

I'm thinking maybe I miswired the fronts

1 hour ago, johnnygolucky said:

Yes, to me it sounds like the front is mis-world. Likely a blown fuse would mean no lights at all. Front you'll always need the ground. The other two are just control wires, one constantly hot and the other for turning. I know on the aftermarkets blinkers I got, one of the wires coming out of the new blinker was so dark green it looked black. Very easy to miss. I got a 3 write blinker for the rear to turn it into a day light running light for the back, just like the front for visibility. They're always red unless I turn then they blink orange. I typed into the license plate light for my constant hot and just did tests to determine what was the hot and what were the turn on both the bike and blinkers. Black was black so just needing to ID the other 2. 

IMG_20200907_140542981_HDR.thumb.jpg.47adda7a65a9128423ddfac13ad8e32a.jpg

You were spot on.  I had the powered wire in place of the ground.  So now everything works well.  Kinda went for the oem euro ktm style bunker and they look good.  Washed the bike up and now it's time to go get it dirty again.

IMG_20200907_114813356_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

There ya go brother! I figured it was something as simple as that. Nice work, looks sharp. So much better than the donkey ears it came with. Here's mine with the DRL on front and back. But they turn orange when blinking. They put out an amazing amount of light for being seen, but the front now puts out light to the side of the road, much like auxiliary lights. Very pleased. 

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 3

And we're not dealing with this after a couple laps of the mx track anymore.

IMG_20200825_174234695.thumb.jpg.c308927a54cff244702b809d88192dfd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, johnnygolucky said:

There ya go brother! I figured it was something as simple as that. Nice work, looks sharp. So much better than the donkey ears it came with. Here's mine with the DRL on front and back. But they try orange when blinking. They put out an amazing amount of light for being seen, but the front now puts out light to the side of the road, much like auxiliary lights. Very pleased. 

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

Which aftermarket front and rear turn signals are those?  Got a link? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seventh Son said:

Which aftermarket front and rear turn signals are those?  Got a link? 

You bet. I bought these. $30 a pair and they're SUPER nice quality. Stout. Bright. Even the box that they came in seemed they like they cost a LOT more than they did. Very impressed. They are front and rear specific. White/orange front and red/orange rear. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756Z8PLZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by johnnygolucky

4 hours ago, johnnygolucky said:

You bet. I bought these. $30 a pair and they're SUPER nice quality. Stout. Bright. Even the box that they came in seemed they like they cost a LOT more than they did. Very impressed. They are front and rear specific. White/orange front and red/orange rear. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756Z8PLZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Johnny!  They look great.

Just to be clear - you bought two sets, correct?  One for the front and one for the back? 

4 hours ago, Seventh Son said:

Thanks Johnny!  They look great.

Just to be clear - you bought two sets, correct?  One for the front and one for the back? 

Yes sir, I purchased 1 set of the white/orange and one set of the red/orange for a total of $60. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

Yes sir, I purchased 1 set of the white/orange and one set of the red/orange for a total of $60. 

Does one also need to pick up a relay as mentioned above? Any links for that? After 300 miles, mostly gnarly two track, I'm very tired of stopping every half hour to put the rears back in.

39 minutes ago, nelsonccc said:

Does one also need to pick up a relay as mentioned above? Any links for that? After 300 miles, mostly gnarly two track, I'm very tired of stopping every half hour to put the rears back in.

I purchased a relay for them as they do blink faster, but not crazy fast. I installed the relay and they slowed down to normal, the issues being is with or without relay, the turn signal indicator on the main dash when turning just stays on a solid green pointing the direction turning. I've read this happening in other threads as well. It's not a big deal, it still tells you that your signals are on, just not flashing as your blinkers are flashing. 

I decided to just not use the relay. It's not blinking crazy machine gun faster without the relay and if anything, in my opinion, it does grab the attention more as being it's brighter and faster so perhaps alerts vehicles easier? Not sure but regardless I left it out and saved it just in case. 

This is the 2 pin relay I purchased based on other recommendations in these threads. Keep in mind, you will need the little spacer fillers as the blinkers are circular and Yamaha has that strange oblong shape. I purchased these and they were very close but a fraction of a mm too big. Not sure why as they're for Yammys. With a dremmel, I removed a little bit of one side, and by a little I mean just a fraction of a mm, just a shaving and they slipped in and with a washer and nut on the back of the blinker, they are in there tight without movement. Super solid. Hope this information helps. 

https://tstindustries.com/tst-led-flasher-relay-gen2.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BH5YH4G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by johnnygolucky

53 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

Great, thanks again Johnny.  Just ordered up a set of those. 

On 9/8/2020 at 10:35 AM, johnnygolucky said:

Hey Johnny,

Anything special I need to know when connecting the aftermarket turn signals?  I haven't taken the side covers off of my T7 yet, so I don't know what the OEM turn signal connections look like, but here is a pic of the front signals from Amazon.  Looks like a red, black and brown wire coming off of each signal, all with bullet connectors.  Also shown are two little units with black and red wires with bullet connectors.  Are these relays for each turn signal?

Finally, to the left is a LED flasher relay I bought on Amazon as well as some Yamaha OEM turn signal connectors that I bought online.  These each have a black, white and red wire coming from them.  Not sure if these are helpful or needed when connecting either front or rear aftermarket signals.

Thanks in advance.  Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

Front turn signals.jpg

Edited by Seventh Son