Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Bartek

Owning T7 after Husky 701 and KTM 990 ADV

Bartek

Hi,

I thought i will share my experience with T7 here, as it could be valuable for someone looking to buy one, and especially debating between KTM 790R and T7.

I haven't own 790R, but i did own 990 ADV, 450 EXC and recently Husky 701 so i know enough about KTM's engineering.

I have added pictures of my previous bikes and my Tenere for better reading 🙂

So Why did i bought Tenere?

On the paper it looks poor compared to KTM 790 R - less power, weaker suspension...

But i went for a test ride and i love it! Bike balance on tarmac is great, and after owning my 701 i needed something stable on the tarmac - more planted on twisties, as my husky was pretty flighty above 80MPH, and due to it's light weight and stiff suspension it was pretty bumpy on the tarmac, and in return traction was a bit nervous.

Spending lot of time on the tarmac it makes sense to have faster bike on the road right?... And T7 is exactly that - despite less power than Husky 701 it is better balanced for road use and it is a faster bike on the asphalt (not acceleration wise - just progression through the corners).

It's nearly as good as 990 ADV was, as despite big power difference and same weight this 270 degree crossplane engine gives you sensational emotions right from 2500 RPM. It is slightly boring comparing to KTM 990 V-twin, but this is to be expected having in mind 300cc difference.

Now for the offroad...

I have chose T7 as it is much nicer bike than 790R and it's much cheaper. Plus i thought it can't be that bad offroad.

What i didn't think about, and this a good lesson to be learn for someone debating beween two bikes - is that Tenere is not designed with hard offroad use in mind, or crashing and dropping in that matter - i mean just look at that exhaust sticking out... then standard skid plate not trying to be wide enough to cover engine or water pump... Then finally plastic fairings made out of regular plastic used on road bikes, it's not coloured high flexibility plastic, it is painted one! Proper offroad bikes should have enduro type plastics. Even my 990 ADV used to have highly flexible plastics that despite being painted could whitstand serious impacts. To top this up paint is matt finish, so if you scratch it you won't be able to polish it - it will get shiny and patchy.

So yes - you can usie it offroad, but better don't drop it! Suspension wise it is worst than any WP suspension, there is no doubt about it, but it is not that bad and after adjusting suspension i haven't bottom it out on normal fast riding. Jums are completelly different story as on standard springs you will bottom up every time you jump. Fitting correct Nm value springs is must if you want to jump. Otherwise increase compression damping, get rear preload up and you can go relativelly fast.

To summarise - so far after couple of overambitious offroad adventures i got two fairing sections to change - radiator cowling due to scratches on matt paint and rear seat cowling due to crack - first was avoidable if i fit clear paintsaver foil, but second issue was pretty annoying - at zero speed i tip the bike in difficult terrain and my boot was stuck between the ground and bike - this was enough to crack the plastic seat cowling.

Now i have spent additional 217 GBP on those two plastics, and i'm shopping around for crashbars (hate then and never have them fitted to KTM's as they don't get so easyli damaged) and for skid plate, plus a decent handguards... so trying to save money on buying bike i'm spending additional 600-700 GPB already... now this puts me only 900 pounds cheaper from KTM 790R.  And... i'm adding weight to already heavy'ish bike.

offcourse answer is - do not crash! But if you like to venture far in to the wildlands, or like to push the limits you will fall, and this is where owning T7 becomes expenssive. Have this in mind when deciding between KTM or Yamaha. First one is proper hardcore adventure bike for serious offroad use, learning, pushing the limits, second one is the road bike with option to go offroad with staying within the bike capabilities and your skills, as learning could be expenssive.

I have seen all these videos of bike being ridden by pro's but what they don't show is the amount of parts that were changed after this show, and the price of them 🙂

Verdict:

+Great looking bike

+Enough power to have fun (get banned, or locked up 🙂 )

+Excellent on road traction and behaviour

+Very easy to ride on the road and off the road (as long as you take it easy and not try to race)

-Very fragile during offroad use

-Need additional money to be spend on protection

Here's the video of me riding my bike:

15493721_10209931104785604_2152022385634438610_o.jpg

19390663_10211657023612496_7143984733768090554_o.jpg

IMG_3475small.jpg

IMG_6103.JPG

IMG_6119.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Rich TT

Hi @Bartek. Great write up and fast riding. Summed it up perfectly.

I have a 525EXC and I've spent some money on my T7 with dedicated off road wheels and tyres 2.5 inch rear rim, stiffer spring, cranked up the rebound and compression and other goodies e.g. HD sump guard, bar risers, Bark busters, exhaust, tail tidy, WR450 Ti footpegs etc. I like making my bike my own and I'd say it's pretty transformed it from a really good bike to an awesome one. I can swap my wheels in 10 mins and I have two bikes in one. Proper scratcher if I want it, and off road that will take me anywhere. The engine gets better and better with miles too.

Enjoy.

Rich

• Like 2

Aleksandar13

Thanks for the write up... Very nice pictures of the bikes, I have transformed mine into a road queen with sm wheels and I'm more than happy with my decision and not getting a 701sm as this in my opinion is better and more unique, the only problem I see with off road for this bike is the exhaust but that will be sorted out soon as one of our vendors has announced a good solution to move the exhaust higher up. 

Aleks 

• Like 2

Bartek

Update to my thought of owning Tenere for 700 miles now:

The longer i own the bike the more i regret not buying KTM...

As mentioned in first post - i need to change two plastics, as they break and scrach from slightest mishaps... so i have ordered two, one have arrived, but... with no emblem or decals! This is additional cost of nearly 50 pounds! KM plastics coming with decals and they are cheaper!.

Second fairing ETA is... 26/10.  Bit of a joke in my opinion considering this supposed to be adventure bike used offroad. Plastics will break right? Especially when they made of brittle standard material used on road bikes.

Servicing cost at 600 miles was the same as with KTM - 216 pounds, so no savings there either.

Buying Tenere over KTM 790 Adventure R is a false economy - you saving 1500 pounds (KTM's are 10600 now) on the purchase of new bike, but you will have to spend money on making it suitable for offroad use...

Only on protection you looking at around 500 pounds, and this is not touching suspension!

You can spend money on suspension, and unless you change whole shock and forks it won't be close to stock WP suspension on KTM. Fact.

Power wise - afer initial falling in love with how torquie and smooth the engine is - now i have started using upper rev range and this engine is boring as hell up there. Max power is at around 9k, but after 7k the engine is as exciting as Sunday mass in a crowded church 😞  I mean even single cylinder Husky 701 engine had more to offer above 7k rpm.

The only area where Tenere is better than KTM is slow relaxed ride... Tenere is made for this, it is more of a offroad tourer in my opinion. If you after intenssive bike that will pump your adrenalin, and if you know what you are doing offroad - stay away and get KTM.

On other hand - if you never own the KTM and you are coming from road bikes or other Japanese Adventure bikes - Tenere is the best Japanese ADV bike made till now.

I hope this will help someone who hasn't decided yet. If i can turn back time i would spend more money on KTM and stay on the orange side 🙂   My next bike will be KTM or Husky, no doubt.

• Like 1

Team FTB

I really appreciate this kind of feedback.  Absolutely vital and valuable info.  Sadly too many posts are from owners just posting validations of their purchases and not enough of the other side of the coin.  I am debating between the 790 and 700.  Have owned loads of KTM dirt bikes but never an adventure bike.  Even living in a country where I will have to service my own bike and handle all repairs myself I still would prefer the KTM.  Only reliability issues keep me looking at the t700, nothing else.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Johnnyboxer
3 hours ago, Bartek said:

As mentioned in first post - i need to change two plastics, as they break and scrach from slightest mishaps... so i have ordered two, one have arrived, but... with no emblem or decals! This is additional cost of nearly 50 pounds! KM plastics coming with decals and they are cheaper!.

Second fairing ETA is... 26/10.  Bit of a joke in my opinion considering this supposed to be adventure bike used offroad. Plastics will break right? Especially when they made of brittle standard material used on road bikes.

Servicing cost at 600 miles was the same as with KTM - 216 pounds, so no savings there either.

Buying Tenere over KTM 790 Adventure R is a false economy - you saving 1500 pounds (KTM's are 10600 now) on the purchase of new bike, but you will have to spend money on making it suitable for offroad use...

Only on protection you looking at around 500 pounds, and this is not touching suspension!

You can spend money on suspension, and unless you change whole shock and forks it won't be close to stock WP suspension on KTM. Fact.

Power wise - afer initial falling in love with how torquie and smooth the engine is - now i have started using upper rev range and this engine is boring as hell up there. Max power is at around 9k, but after 7k the engine is as exciting as Sunday mass in a crowded church 😞  I mean even single cylinder Husky 701 engine had more to offer above 7k rpm.

The only area where Tenere is better than KTM is slow relaxed ride... Tenere is made for this, it is more of a offroad tourer in my opinion. If you after intenssive bike that will pump your adrenalin, and if you know what you are doing offroad - stay away and get KTM.

On other hand - if you never own the KTM and you are coming from road bikes or other Japanese Adventure bikes - Tenere is the best Japanese ADV bike made till now.

I hope this will help someone who hasn't decided yet. If i can turn back time i would spend more money on KTM and stay on the orange side 🙂   My next bike will be KTM or Husky, no doubt.

I kinda agree with you

I am somewhat disappointed with the T7, it needs suspension upgrades - even for the road

It feels fragile

Now with 1000 miles on it, it's not exciting as you say when you dial in higher revs

I just did 150 miles on my 1150GS Adv today, after not riding it for 2-3 weeks (on the T7) and it was nicer to ride

Better suspension/seat/screen than my T7 and ok, not as light...............but more fun

Edited by Johnnyboxer

jeeves1275
4 hours ago, Bartek said:

I'm surprised you are surprised to come to this conclusion? 😀

Most of the reviews I saw said pretty much the same thing.  The reason they all raved about the T7 was in comparison to other large adventure bikes when off-road. But said if you knew what you were doing and pushing it/riding more aggressively then you would find it's limits pretty quickly.  And I think they mostly said in comparison, that the 790 was far more sporty/rev-happy on and off-road. 

• Like 1

Burner

I got my CDN bike in May, 8000 kms on it so far.  Am I in love with it like at start? No, but I’m still very happy with my decision.

I’ve drank the orange koolaid before, I’ve owned a 990, 690... still own a 350XCF. I just spent two days riding with a buddy with a 790R. The 790R does a lot of things better than the T7, but every time I jump on my T7 I don’t worry about what’s going to break/fail next.

That said if KTM hadn’t loaded the 790 up with ridiculous electronics there’s a good chance I would’ve bought one! 

• Like 4

Lookiel

Agreed that the engine could use a little more oomph in the top end, but that’s to be expected given the numbers.

Maybe try a 14 tooth sprocket? 

Put 2000 kms on mine so far and still no regrets. I believe that the chassis and reliability trump the 790 but what do I know;)

Rich TT

One thing people haven't mentioned is the looks. The KTM790 is, in my opinion, ugly as hell. I know what I'd rather get my leg over every ride.....

And I do own a good looking classic KTM. A 525EXC and that's as hardcore as anything. But my T7 doesn't disappoint me in any way. If I want raw, hardcore and fully capable on any ground/conditions I'll take the KTM.

For everything else I'll take the T7. I'm amazed at what it can actually do both on and off road and it's so well balanced stood up. The engine is a peach and real world faster than most people's abilities including my own. I also like modifying my bike to make it better. I've already done that with my T7 including dedicated narrower rear rim as part of a second set of wheels. 10 mins swap between full knobblies and the standard tyres. I can't explain how much better off road it is just with a narrower rear rim and tyre for the rim.

Rich

• Like 1

Burner

I couldn't agree more Rich TT, the 790 is just fugly... 

IMG_2408.thumb.JPG.3cc99c3060984abd4e594aa16081efa9.JPG

• Like 2

johnnygolucky

There's a lot here I agree with as well. I can say I miss my 690 Enduro for just about everything. Just moving in and out of the garage is much easier because it's almost 140 pounds lighter. Off-road the 690 is a blast. It just has so much power (same power as the 700) but again so much lighter and the WP suspension is the cats pajamas. But that's where it ends. 900 mile trip on tarmac I can say got old. 

I was right at that tipping point of getting the 790, for the main reason the Tenere was taking so long. I did not like the look of the 790, that's for sure. That headlight ensemble is about as ugly as it comes. But that's vanity and I still wanted it for the power and suspension and never once had a problem with my 690 so figured I'd try it. But then got the call my Tenere was in.  

The Tenere is such a tractor in low revs. The thing just motors up but like others have mentioned, but it's not a very fun bike. If anything, it's pretty boring. Whack the throttle at 60 mph and it feels like it's old and out of shape. No pep. Vigor. 

But the bottom line is I'm wanting to go further than the 690 was comfortable doing on pavement and the Tenere can do it all day long yet still hit the two track dirt no problem and I know the CP2 motor has ultra reliable. I love the simplicity of it, the low torque and it's a very conformable sitting and standing position. While I started to wonder if maybe I should have gotten the 790 because the Tenere just isn't that exciting, 2 friends just got back from the COBDR and there were TWO 790's broken down. One with only 2,000 miles and a wasted transmission and had to be trucked out of there. 

And now all KTM 790's are made in Hangzhou, China. No thanks. The Japanese make a very dependable bike and I'll take that reassurance knowing that my personal purpose for this bike is going distance far away from society, so reliability beats out higher revs right now. And once I did a few mods (heavier spring on the way), cleaned it up and got rid of all the excess I absolute love the bike. It's totally grown on me. 

thumbnail.jpeg

• Like 3

Ol'crazy

If you are looking for a bike with a seat like an armchair, buy a BMW...
If you are looking for a bike with a computer controlling whatever you do, buy a KTM...
If you are looking for a bike with a sharp power curve, buy a 701...
If you are looking for a bike to jump and make enduro, buy an eduro bike...

... but ...

If you are looking for a bike with an excelent behavoir on and off road...
If you are looking for a bike who permits driving standing as comfortably as sitting...
If you are looking for a bike who permits the pilot take total control...
If you are looking for a bike with enough speed to lose your driving licence...
If you are looking for a bike with enough power to climb where you want without burning the clutch...
If you are looking for a bike who exceeds the piloting skills of the 99% of the people...
If you are looking for a bike who you can lift without calling the 7th Cavalry...
If you are looking for a bike who pass from trial zones to higway in the same ride...
If you are looking for a bike whith an higly affordable price...
If you are looking for a bike whith an engine who doesn't break never...

... maybe you are looking for a T7.

Edited by Ol'crazy
  • Like 7

Louis

Simply put, this is a bike that I expected it to be! Somehow people want and expect more than what this bike can deliver.  It won't accelerate like a R6 on the  tarmac, didn't you work that out on the test ride? Nimble and light like a MX bike  when off road, couldn't you wheel it around at the dealers and come to the conclusion It's not a light  MX bike? It's an 205kg adventure bike guys! It's a compromise on and off road bike! Much more reliable than a Pumkin.

All bikes are manufactured to a price point, and customisation is not only wanted but usually necessary. If you don't like breaking plastics, get crash bars. If you're riding over rocks get a suitable bash plate. If you have a lard arse like me, get a heavier shock spring. If you want to do jumps get a bike more suitable for the purpose. You are dating a fat hippy chick and expect her to lose weight and change political views.

The T7 is living up to my realistic expectations!

Edit, forgot  to mention changing broken plastics is cheaper than replacing broken crankcases. Footpeg on Right hand side  bolts to crankcase, this is where the cracking occurs. Is this is the type of excitement you want? I'll take the boring T7 thanks! 

Edited by Louis
Extra information
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

husky123
6 hours ago, Burner said:

The 790R does a lot of things better than the T7, but every time I jump on my T7 I don’t worry about what’s going to break/fail next.

Coming from a 790R, couldn’t have said it better!

• Like 1

loneranger700
12 hours ago, Bartek said:

Very great write up! And very good points as well. I understood from the start this would not be a super aggressive dirt bike like some marketing campaigns would want you to believe. But, truth be told, I needed a bike I could take out in the country, but also feel comfortable riding high speeds on the highway and be nimble doing low speeds filtering through traffic in my city. For what it's worth, this thing gives me the best of both these worlds while sacrificing very little. I'm not super technical off-road, but I come from a background in road bikes, so this bike as a means of transition is honestly incredibly enlightening. 

Edited by loneranger700
  • Like 1