Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

WARNING: Oil plug & torque specifications 16 ft lbs max

Johnny Fuel

I use a new washer every time tighten until the washer is crushed you will feel it then start at an  eighth of a turn to no more than a quarter of a turn i have not had a leak yet.

Also blue Hylomar jointing compound.

Edited by Mapbook
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Spuzvica said:

I am another victim of this case, unfortunately this came out with the bolt today.

I am petrified and lost as what to do. Bike goes to yamaha the day after tomorrow but i can already see their excuses based on reusing washers or cheap torque wrench (which i splurged on on purpose).

20220207_165550.jpg

I had the same corkscrew shavings when my case broke. Yamaha really needs to change their user manual and put out a service bulletin. 

9 hours ago, Mapbook said:

I use a new washer every time tighten until the washer is crushed you will feel it then start at an  eighth of a turn to no more than a quarter of a turn i have not had a leak yet.

That's the way to go, of course. I learned the hard way. When the bike was new I was just trying to be "proper" and use the recommended torque specs. I paid a price for having good intentions. 

I just joined this club. I live in Santa Clarita. Have a deposit in for a new T7 coming in March. Researching accessories, tips now. Thanks for the heads up. The dealer I have depo in says Yamaha delivers T7’s already assembled and set up and they (dealer) just do some minor checks. Will definitely ask them about this torque spec. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yamidave said:

I just joined this club. I live in Santa Clarita. Have a deposit in for a new T7 coming in March. Researching accessories, tips now. Thanks for the heads up. The dealer I have depo in says Yamaha delivers T7’s already assembled and set up and they (dealer) just do some minor checks. Will definitely ask them about this torque spec. 

Enjoy the bike. It's a good one!

So here's the outcome of my case:

1. It got fixed with a threaded insert, I have not seen it in person but the original plug now fits.

2. Reasons why this happened:

- I had an aftermarket oil plug with a magnet that had a shorter thread - BE CAREFUL if your are not using the original plug so that the threads are the same length as original.

- I used the copper washer instead of original one - always use a NEW original "white" one

- I tried to torque to specced 43Nm - this is too much, torquing to 30Nm is more than enough

It cost me 80EUR to fix it and it was discovered early enough to prevent any further damage. Lesson learned.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Spuzvica said:

It cost me 80EUR to fix it and it was discovered early enough to prevent any further damage. Lesson learned.

A good 'heads up'

I always fret about sump plugs after I dropped one back in the day.

Fekked the motor in short order.

I always feel uneasy about the torque settings.

Torqueing up my Tracer's plug would make me really wince.

When you've been tightening nuts 'n stuff for about 6 decades you kind of get that ''feeling'' when a thread is about to let go.

(Some on here will be familiar with that I'm sure)

I prefer to pull my sump plugs up by 'feel' then I wire 'em.

Haven't looked at the T7's arrangement yet to see what might be involved.

• Like 2

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

1 hour ago, Spuzvica said:

So here's the outcome of my case:

1. It got fixed with a threaded insert, I have not seen it in person but the original plug now fits.

- I had an aftermarket oil plug with a magnet that had a shorter thread - BE CAREFUL if your are not using the original plug so that the threads are the same length as original.

- I used the copper washer instead of original one - always use a NEW original "white" one

- I tried to torque to specced 43Nm - this is too much, torquing to 30Nm is more than enough

Is an aftermarket plug a good idea, surely the filter will catch any particles and not have to rely on a magnet sump plug

Mine's been in and out twice now and all good, with the oem sump plug

2 hours ago, JB700 said:

Is an aftermarket plug a good idea, surely the filter will catch any particles and not have to rely on a magnet sump plug

Mine's been in and out twice now and all good, with the oem sump plug

I have used a mag plug in a few bikes with no issues. This for the T7.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/drain-plugs/dim-m14x1-5x16-dimple-magnetic-oil-drain-plug-m14-x-1-5

On 2/11/2022 at 2:14 AM, Spuzvica said:

Of these three, only the extra torque was the problem, right? With less torque you would have been fine with a copper washer and a shorter plug. 

I changed my oil today and it was a mirakle nothing was broke.

I ltetaly called the dealer where i bought it to ask if the mechanic came from a big rig workshop.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2022 at 9:20 AM, Yamidave said:

Welcome SoCal rider. Ventura here - see you on the road.

13 hours ago, Johnny Fuel said:

I guess you could put it that way 🙂 Regardless of the other two, 43Nm is simply way too much. My old school yamaha service guy said he does these things by hand and that for majority of bikes 20-25Nm is  enough.

Has anyone seen a revised service manual for the T7 (as in version 2.0) that has this torque spec lower?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Cruizin changed the title to WARNING: Oil plug & torque specifications 16 ft lbs max
  • Cruizin featured and pinned this topic

I like to use these:

SB-OAS-14150-Stahlbus-OElablass-Ventil-M

Yamaha complete Set for a quick, easy and clean oil change. A conventional oil change is always associated with spills and dirty hands. Therefore,…

After it is installed there are very few reasons to undo it ever again. Makes for oil changes with less mess as well. Significantly more expensive then just changing the crush washer every time, but the convenience makes it worth it for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

Thanks for the heads up, I checked my Owners manual and sure enough it lists 32 lb.ft.  I crossed it out and wrote in 16.  And will talk to the mechanic before they do my first service.

• Like 1

T700 Service manual lists it incorrectly in at least 4 places.  Nowhere correctly.

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

On 3/11/2022 at 3:16 PM, BADDANDY said:

T700 Service manual lists it incorrectly in at least 4 places.  Nowhere correctly.

sometimes you just have to learn by trial of fire LOL...

then again, coming from Italian bikes and some German bikes, you can see who put their heart into writing the manuals...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my brand new 2022 T7 delivered today and the first thing I did was check the drain oil plug recommended torque on the user manual to ensure they corrected it, but they did not.
It still listed as 32 lb/ft.

6 minutes ago, SpencerChedid said:

Just got my brand new 2022 T7 delivered today and the first thing I did was check the drain oil plug recommended torque on the user manual to ensure they corrected it, but they did not.

They probably still have about million copies left. 😁

41 minutes ago, SpencerChedid said:

That's ridiculous. I guess most people just don't abide by the torque specs, thankfully. Otherwise, Yamaha will be liable for costly repairs and parts. C'mon Yamaha—you can do better.

• Like 1

Two things from this thread:

1. So much for Yamaha manual integrity when it comes to torque specs.

2. Its just a drain bolt! If I had a nickel for every bike oil change I've done over the years yada yada yada. I never used a torque wrench, and most of the time reused the crush washer. Guess how many leaks, stripped bolts or cracked cases? Zero!

I'm not bashing following torque specs or wanting to do things by the book, in some cases it is definitely the way to go. We just need to put it into perspective since this is not rocket science. I've installed dishwashers, washing machines and done 5011 plumbing repairs as well as maintaining my mowers, all power tools, and all my vehicles and rarely use a torque wrench or following any manual. FWIW I do own two highly regarded torque wrenches. Having the right tool and letting common sense decide the torque has always worked well for me.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 8:35 AM, duibhceK said:

I like to use these:

SB-OAS-14150-Stahlbus-OElablass-Ventil-M

Yamaha complete Set for a quick, easy and clean oil change. A conventional oil change is always associated with spills and dirty hands. Therefore,…

After it is installed there are very few reasons to undo it ever again. Makes for oil changes with less mess as well. Significantly more expensive then just changing the crush washer every time, but the convenience makes it worth it for me.

Very nice! It says that you don't heed tools to do the oil change. That makes me wonder of it's safe. If the cap is hand tight, isn't it more likely to losen off and fall off? How ling have you used it, and do you go off roading?    

41 minutes ago, Yasenia said:

Very nice! It says that you don't heed tools to do the oil change. That makes me wonder of it's safe. If the cap is hand tight, isn't it more likely to losen off and fall off? How ling have you used it, and do you go off roading?    

The cap is just a dirt cover, the sealing part is springloaded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

The cap is just a dirt cover, the sealing part is springloaded.

Oh very nice! I want one now. Thanks you! ❤️❤️❤️